Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Meng the problem seems to be that they quit specifically promised things like the Americans again and again for release. Then when the game was released their was no mail out of their media was still wrong at least in some areas. It's sloppy whether there is a department or not for that sort of thing. When you release you communicate as well what that release entails and any limitations.

As it is we got more on release. I saw STUGs, Churchills and Stuarts for the first time... unless they were in before?

But now they are offering blanket refunds for anybody not happy. I for one still think they have delivered something outstanding and amazing and will NOT be taking advantage of this. As far as I am concerned I already have what I want.

However I am looking forward to the rally command which enables squad leaders to use rally to allow members to spawn near them for a period of time (I think 30 seconds or so). That is supposed to keep squads together and should work well. I also like that in future (when implemented) company commanders will have to be near a radioman to call in air strikes. This is like red storm rising 2 vietnam and is as it should be. Currently I do not think their is a radioman role. Instead their is a radio in a tent and a radio jeep? I have not played commander yet.

As for the American Airborne. I am in no hurry for them. British airborne are pretty rare in games and I am happy with that. I will of course play the Americans when they come. But I am in no hurry.

Performance though I would love to have improve. Game looks good and plays well.

Me last night:

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 10, 2018, 09:08:40 PM
Meng the problem seems to be that they quit specifically promised things like the Americans again and again for release. Then when the game was released their was no mail out of their media was still wrong at least in some areas. It's sloppy whether there is a department or not for that sort of thing. When you release you communicate as well what that release entails and any limitations.

As it is we got more on release. I saw STUGs, Churchills and Stuarts for the first time... unless they were in before?

Apparently the vehicles have been available all along (as the American paratroops have been in some form), but you would have to load them on your server with an administrative console command.  One problem seems to be how the map scenarios are set up (there's no sandbox mode for setting up the map scenarios a server has).  So Driel01 or whatever comes with some (but not all) vehicles and no americans since they didn't fight at Driel.  Wisely, they did not start with sandbox mode but with some scenarios that allowed both sides to bring in a selection of vehicles and units that were vaguely appropriate to the region on the map.

As usual, people seem to have overreacted saying the devs "lied" about vehicles and "stole" the whole game from Squad.  Nobody had comparative fits about mods for Red Orchestra but apparently asking for 30 bucks for an extensive mod is just too much.  30 bucks seems reasonable to me.  After all an F/A-18 for DCS costs 80 bucks and it is not a particularly extensive mod, but only a minor addition to the game and the Normandy gear for DCS does cost 30 bucks and its just some items for the pre-existing game.

More to the point, the game is pretty ground-breaking in many ways at least for a WWII game.  I've never played squad so I don't know.  1:1 maps of real places with some attempt at representing the units involved (though of course the British armor does upset the German players since the 1st Airborne had no armor) is pretty much a first for a WWII FPS, though maybe some ARMA mods have been close to that.

Destraex

I agree. It is cheap for what it is. I don't give a rats whether people think it's a glorified mod or not. It's got everything I need.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2018, 12:55:05 PM
People.  I f*cking hate people. God damn them all.
Present company accepted?  :2funny:

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2018, 12:55:05 PM
I just refunded this game. It is absolutely EVERYTHING I hate about MP only games...

People.  I f*cking hate people. God damn them all.

Such a wasted opportunity on a great looking game.

Goodbye.

I'm glad I read through here. I feel exactly the same with online gaming. Complete arseholes. There was once when I had a decent online experience and that was with Battlefield 2 and a group of guys I used to meet with. Even then, though, we had many, many arseholes show up and ruin the fun. Generally the vast majority of my online experiences have been destroyed by other people.

I was tempted - but no offline mode = no buy I'm afraid.

Enjoy  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

Destraex

Yeah Dred. However I find that post scriptums crowd so far at least on the Australian servers. Are a really good solid headed group. I hear so far what I would expect from reasonably intelligent people wanting to work together. Like I said to Jar. I expect like with red orchestra that the majority of nutjobs will move on when they refund after realising the game will not propel them to hero stardom like Battlefield or COD. Please remind me to try the American servers a while down the track to see how they are tracking.

P.S. Dred why not try it on steam and then refund making sure you stay under the refund time limit for play time?

Here is what I consider to be a balanced review from 1 day ago about release:

sandman2575

Lack of SP here is tragic.  The game is freaking gorgeous - even just watching Let's Plays is a treat.  But I've never been an MP guy and def am not going to start with a game this hard and seemingly impossible to learn how to play in an MP setting beset by griefers and pros who have been training with it for months....

Man it's tempting though...

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2018, 09:04:54 AM
Lack of SP here is tragic.  The game is freaking gorgeous - even just watching Let's Plays is a treat.  But I've never been an MP guy and def am not going to start with a game this hard and seemingly impossible to learn how to play in an MP setting beset by griefers and pros who have been training with it for months....

Man it's tempting though...

Yep, always disappointing when no single player included...unless it ever goes on sale for a few $$ and just to try it, won't be a sale here...

Father Ted

To be fair to the developers, SP was never part of their game-design:  its whole ethos is about team MP.

Also, it's interesting reading some of the responses in this thread. When a new game crops up, I tend to dismiss it out of hand if there is no MP (especially so for FPSs).  Perhaps my tolerance level for arsiness is unusually high, but I've had very few experiences which have put me off playing - and a lot of the interaction has been positively enjoyable.  Admittedly the games I've played have been the "serious" ones which tend to attract a more mature crowd - I've not tried the mainstream twitch-shooters.

As for the price, these guys aren't getting rich off this.  I got it for free because I'd backed Squad and I imagine that that is the case for a fair percentage of the rest of their customers.

@Sandman - do you not do MP in flight sims?

Destraex

Apparently this is what happened according to a community member on the steam forums:

"You didn't bother researching the game beforehand. A few months ago, the devs posted a roadmap with what features they intend to have on release day and what features they aim to implement steadily after release. Here:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/375730707080806400/457471257902972948/Roadmap.jpg

You'll see that they've implemented everything they said they would. It's correct that they didn't reflect this on the steam page but the core community already knew what was going to be in the game on launch. All you needed to do was check the game's reddit page.

Considering the uniqueness of the PS experience I consider this $30 game an absolute bargain! "

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Father Ted on August 11, 2018, 01:10:19 PM
To be fair to the developers, SP was never part of their game-design:  its whole ethos is about team MP.

Not really a matter of what is fair, just expressing that only catering to MP, leaves folks like myself on the sidelines...would have been day one purchase if SP.

sandman2575

@Father Ted -- no flight-sim MP for me. I made an effort to get on the ATAG servers for Cliffs of Dover a couple years ago. But the truth is that I'm rubbish at combat flight-sims. Eyesight ain't so sharp and my situational awareness is generally garbage.

Also just to echo what Grim said -- I don't mean what I said as a criticism of the Periscope team. What they've pulled off with such a small team is nothing short of extraordinary... and the fact that they're selling the game for a mere $30 amazes me -- I have no idea how folks could be complaining about this. Still, I would kill for there to be a SP option here.

MengJiao

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2018, 07:21:07 PM
@Father Ted -- no flight-sim MP for me. I made an effort to get on the ATAG servers for Cliffs of Dover a couple years ago. But the truth is that I'm rubbish at combat flight-sims. Eyesight ain't so sharp and my situational awareness is generally garbage.

Also just to echo what Grim said -- I don't mean what I said as a criticism of the Periscope team. What they've pulled off with such a small team is nothing short of extraordinary... and the fact that they're selling the game for a mere $30 amazes me -- I have no idea how folks could be complaining about this. Still, I would kill for there to be a SP option here.

You could set up your own post scriptum server and put a password on it.  If 4-9 people come on it from time to time you can learn all the weapons.  with a few more you can learn all the weapons and have them shot at you occasionally.   

Halftrack burning on Doorwerth near Belevedere:

Philippe

If this game had a single player mode I would take the plunge.  But Verdun is still gathering dust in my digital library and as much as I want it I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Tannenburg.  I don't need another game that I'll never look at because it's a multiplayer event.

Sigh.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on August 13, 2018, 09:22:36 AM
If this game had a single player mode I would take the plunge.  But Verdun is still gathering dust in my digital library and as much as I want it I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Tannenburg.  I don't need another game that I'll never look at because it's a multiplayer event.

Sigh.

Ordinarily, I tend to avoid multiplayer stuff so i completely sympathize.  However, for the huge maps and the relatively sophisticated approach to realism, I'm willing to suffer the slings and arrows of the multiplayer environment.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Philippe on August 13, 2018, 09:22:36 AM

Criminal shame 'bout those two games and their seeming lack of popularity - at least in my experience.  Also a criminal shame they didn't put the two fronts under one game "header," in the first place, but maybe that is just me.

Post Scriptum is looking pretty damn sweet.