Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

When I see "Post Scriptum" I hear "Pissed Scrotum" - just needed to share that

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on August 14, 2018, 07:22:46 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on August 13, 2018, 04:41:12 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on August 13, 2018, 03:19:28 PM
continuing with the discussion about MP and people being nitwits online.  I've grown used to the nitwits in MP games and there are ways to cope with them.  More importantly for me however pertaining to this game is the following....

Based on the let's plays I've watch this game looks like it's nothing but walk for 75 million years and when you finally get remotely close the action you die instantly from an unseen enemy.  True or false?

Notwithstanding what Meng has said above, I find there's usually a negative correlation between how boring/difficult a game is and the number of nitwits playing it.

I think I understand what you mean and agree.  Usually the thinking man's shooter has a great community and I bet PS has a good community too.

I'm sure a community will evolve.  Things are early and in flux at the moment.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2018, 04:18:22 PM
30% off at GMG...Just over $20.

I will probably buy a second key for a mate at this price.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MC

Quote from: Father Ted on August 14, 2018, 04:26:30 PM
When I see "Post Scriptum" I hear "Pissed Scrotum" - just needed to share that

Would it be more like "Post Scrotum - Eunuch Simulator"?    ...... or not.  :hide:

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2018, 04:18:22 PM
30% off at GMG...Just over $20.
Question is - and whilst it's a wee dig at 1C it is a serious question - is GMG legit and, more importantly, sanctioned by the devs of Post Scriptum? How do I know GMG isn't selling "grey licenses" as Kinguin were accused of.

All I saw at Kinguin was a game at £0% off or whatever saving I was making. Not unlike this GMG offer.

So just a question really. Are GMG legit or providing grey licensing?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

My understanding is that GMG is totally legit. I've certainly never had any issue with them.

The one drawback I guess is that unless a game is bought through steam directly, you can't take advantage of the 2 hour refund policy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 15, 2018, 06:05:48 AM
My understanding is that GMG is totally legit. I've certainly never had any issue with them.

The one drawback I guess is that unless a game is bought through steam directly, you can't take advantage of the 2 hour refund policy.
Thank

I'm off for a couple of weeks - so I'll see what the buzz is when I get back.
Alba gu' brath

ComradeP

Though I'm interested on account of the in-game fighting being done more or less around the corner, I'm worried about the "shooting at/getting killed by pixels" that also made more realistic mods for BF1942/BF2 difficult to play after a while and the maps potentially being too big.

40 vs. 40 sounds nice, except when you think about how about two regiments/brigades would be doing the fighting on the in-game maps.

Why they would invest so much in realism, yet include British armour north of/near the Rhine is also a bit beyond me.

I might give it a go after some additional bugs have been ironed out, as even though houses are empty shells by the looks of it, fighting in a 1944 rendition of my hometown could be too tempting.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

MengJiao

Quote from: ComradeP on August 15, 2018, 06:30:58 AM
Though I'm interested on account of the in-game fighting being done more or less around the corner, I'm worried about the "shooting at/getting killed by pixels" that also made more realistic mods for BF1942/BF2 difficult to play after a while and the maps potentially being too big.

40 vs. 40 sounds nice, except when you think about how about two regiments/brigades would be doing the fighting on the in-game maps.

Why they would invest so much in realism, yet include British armour north of/near the Rhine is also a bit beyond me.

There are definitely some bugs -- what I've seen its mostly in some parts of some maps and not universal.  The inclusion of British Armor isn't unrealistic for Market Garden as a whole and the game is going to cover south of the Rhine as well plus the game is really only in its early stages in terms of scenarios.

Size of battles -- well with respawning forces of at least reinforced company size are fighting and given the mortar support and vickers mg its more more like regiment (Brit style = Battalion)/battalion level.  So the battles feel big even on big maps and there is space for armored moves and jeep recon and son on.

As for what actually happens in a battle -- last night I took over a section that was scattered and leaderless after some gamey problems.  I happened to have a Bren gun at a critical intersection and (here's a bug, I think) becoming section leader cured all my wounds and refilled my water bottle.  So i popped upwith the Bren and the Commander got me on the G (command line) and said "Find out what's holding up the infantry on that road"...I was in position and cleared the road and my section tightened up, went into the objective and took it.  I was hit at some point in all that (tank fire -- possibly friendly i think) but got back in time to help clear the town with a sten gun and grenades.

In my experience, the game is very different from the more standard FPS games in its direct effects in terms of what you see and do.  You don't hunt pixels, you wait for coordinated fire, and smoke and attack with a lot of other players.  Very NEATO at least to my mid-60s kid aesthetics.

Destraex

Just been on Facebook. It seems possible scriptum is being attacked by the same fake news guys. There is one asking for their address because he claims a few guys want to start a lawsuit. The same guy seems to be waiting in ambush for every post. The two posts of his I have read so far both seem to be "fake news".

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 15, 2018, 06:00:20 PM
Just been on Facebook. It seems possible scriptum is being attacked by the same fake news guys. There is one asking for their address because he claims a few guys want to start a lawsuit. The same guy seems to be waiting in ambush for every post. The two posts of his I have read so far both seem to be "fake news".

I looked at the facebook page.  Looked like the usual FPS stories.  I think describing events in PS requires a bit more narrative effort than most people are willing to invest in unraveling and clarifying somewhat confusing sensory impressions.  After all apparently no one was quite sure what happened at Kolin (Frederick's first defeat -- 1757) until around 1905.  Some incidents in PS take some work to describe adequately.

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 15, 2018, 06:27:34 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 15, 2018, 06:05:48 AM

Thank

I'm off for a couple of weeks - so I'll see what the buzz is when I get back.

Buzz -- I'm Lance Corporal Brown on any public non-SS US (or occasionally UK or Dutch) server around 10:30pm EDT.  At the moment, I've a very very very bad section leader, but with a little practice I'll promote myself to Sergeant Brown (sort of in honor of a Tank Commander of the 23rd Hussars who knocked out 2 panthers in a wild close-range battle before his own Sherman was disabled During the breakthrough phase of Bluecoat in Late August 1944 -- he got back to regiment HQ and that's all I know).  So, turn up and we can work on weapons -- every section needs its Bren gunner, marksman, medics, mortarman, MPS driver, Sapper (the best role, I think...lots of specialized bombs and mines and a fine Enfield Type 4 sorry-- sten gun -- makes you speedy maybe), PIAT, and if that's all filled -- a Sergeant with a sten gun.  and below some burning stuff:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 20, 2018, 08:05:45 AM

Buzz -- I'm Lance Corporal Brown on any public non-SS US (or occasionally UK or Dutch) server around 10:30pm EDT.  At the moment, I've a very very very bad section leader, but with a little practice I'll promote myself to Sergeant Brown (sort of in honor of a Tank Commander of the 23rd Hussars who knocked out 2 panthers in a wild close-range battle before his own Sherman was disabled During the breakthrough phase of Bluecoat in Late August 1944 -- he got back to regiment HQ and that's all I know).  So, turn up and we can work on weapons -- every section needs its Bren gunner, marksman, medics, mortarman, MPS driver, Sapper (the best role, I think...lots of specialized bombs and mines and a fine Enfield Type 4 sorry-- sten gun -- makes you speedy maybe), PIAT, and if that's all filled -- a Sergeant with a sten gun.  and below some burning stuff:

There's a new patch...it seemed a little smoother.  Be sure to clear your cache after loading, before joining a server.

Destraex