#TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2015, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I remember getting the board game of Diplomacy as a kid, and having almost no idea what I was supposed to be doing or how to play it with my brother. Consequently, I never bothered with the C64 edition years later. Wonder if there's a GoG-PC for it or something like that... (and whether the PC adaptation was even worth playing the game on).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

btrain

The Fantasy Trip was the only RPG I ever got into, via Melee and Wizard (I collected most of those cheap and tasty Metagaming Microgames back in the day).
What D&D I had played was proving pretty dull, with unimaginative DMs and Monty Haul dungeons.

Funny that you illustrated the article with the cover of the second edition of Melee, the one in full colour of what looks like two Halflings and a dwarf fighting a gargoyle. The gargoyle has his reproductive appendage hanging out for some reason - are there even lady gargoyles? Still, I once read an online post by a  self-proclaimed fundamentalist Christian gamer complaining about how he had to draw swim trunks on the gargoyle so he wouldn't be offended!

Brian

bayonetbrant

Quote from: btrain on November 02, 2017, 10:59:50 AMFunny that you illustrated the article with the cover of the second edition of Melee, the one in full colour of what looks like two Halflings and a dwarf fighting a gargoyle.

First, that's the one that was in the ad :)

Second, we talk a bunch of Melee in an upcoming episode of Dragon' Up The Past :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Buck Rogers...man I still have my RPG and am still hoping to be surprised by GOG when they add Countdown To Doomsday and Matrix Cubed... :smitten:

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 10, 2017, 08:32:02 AM
Buck Rogers...man I still have my RPG and am still hoping to be surprised by GOG when they add Countdown To Doomsday and Matrix Cubed... :smitten:

are you talking about the digital game, or the tabletop game?

BanzaiCat

The RPG is tabletop of course. The other two (Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed) are both digital, done by the same folks (SSI) that did the gold-box D&D games.

Emeraldlis

I had the Buck Roger's computer game when I was a kid :) loved that game and played it to death.... Even the 15 minutes of waiting for the tape to load didn't put me off, lol, very nostalgic :)
Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 10, 2017, 08:49:02 AM
The RPG is tabletop of course. The other two (Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed) are both digital, done by the same folks (SSI) that did the gold-box D&D games.

I'm just interested BC, did you ever play the tabletop game? I never did, just wondered what it was like if you did :)

I'm loving the Buck Roger's poster on the front page :) it's very cool!!!!!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

BanzaiCat

^ I did try it once or twice but the group didn't really grok to it. They were more D&D players.

I had that issue whenever I tried to introduce new games - Twilight: 2000, Paranoia, Tales from the Floating Vagabond...they didn't take to Buck Rogers at all.

I loved the universe - it was rich and there were many fiction books that came out covering things, so it had all kinds of support. I just never knew anyone that actually played it and it kind of died out unfortunately.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 11, 2017, 02:42:39 PM
I loved the universe - it was rich and there were many fiction books that came out covering things, so it had all kinds of support. I just never knew anyone that actually played it and it kind of died out unfortunately.

you just summed up our entire point from Dragon' Up The Past #168

Emeraldlis

^ I did try it once or twice but the group didn't really grok to it. They were more D&D players.

It's a shame D&D cornered the market first. Maybe other games would have Stood a chance to become established and loved, if D&D hadn't so completely closed people down to looking at other games. Not that there's anything wrong in loving a game and becoming hooked, just it's sad other good games fell by the wayside. I'm glad you got a chance to try to introduce it though to a game group :) Thanks for explaining to me why you thought the game failed, it's interesting :)

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 11, 2017, 03:47:45 PM

you just summed up our entire point from Dragon' Up The Past #168

I really enjoyed listening to Buck Roger's being discussed on that episode of dragon' up the past  O0  I think you and Cyrano covered all angles of that world, computer gaming, RPG tabletop, and TV/movie stuff :)  I was only 11 years old when I was playing the game in the late 80's, so it's great to hear all you guys talk about it, you've definitely broadened my knowledge of that whole gaming system  O0 it's been a lot of fun and really interesting to walk down a Buck rogers memory lane :) I wish I'd have known about the books when I was 11, I would no doubt have devoured them!!!! Lol :)

Thanks guys  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

some interesting Mac goodness today :)

ComradeP

The Mac game didn't just beat the IBM game, it beat the historical landings by a whole day.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 01, 2018, 06:53:32 AM
some interesting Mac goodness today :)

Is that the 'V for Victory Series' Utah Beach?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Catching up here:

1.) That little print ad even looked like it was made on a Mac of the time!  :bd:

2.) I seem to recall the two SSI Buck Rogers RPGs being available on GoG by now. I haven't validated my fuzzy memory on this yet, but I do have an apparent memory of seeing them there. (Bro and I beat the first one on release, can't recall if we ever got around to beating the second one but I'm at least 80% sure we tried.)

3.) How this thread has not yet answered the question of whether there are female gargoyles, with links to Demonia or whatever her name was from the Disney cartoon, is beyond me.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!