#TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2015, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Update: alas, no, the SSI Buck Rogers RPGs aren't at GoG yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 07, 2018, 10:19:10 AM
Update: alas, no, the SSI Buck Rogers RPGs aren't at GoG yet.

Buck Rogers is an intellectual property separate from the other 'gold box' games, and not owned by SSI or WotC, and there's also quite a legal mess around Buck Rogers in general (movies and series being canceled), which might be why it won't ever get made. But who knows.

Spelljammer was a meh title but I wouldn't mind seeing it appear on GOG either.

bayonetbrant

TalonSoft's East Front today :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I still have my original disc.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

My brother has my original disc. Or rather I'm sure he has lost my original disc, long ago. ;)

No matter. I've got the Campaign Series from Matrix.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Hm; so MtG's first advertisement in Dragon Mag, was for the Arabian Knights expansion? Its first expansion iirc.

Notably, for only $50 (a very reasonable price under the circumstances), you could buy a full deck of the production-release cards (plus enough land duplicates to be useful). Not the 'alpha' or 'beta' sets exactly, but what eventually became the first full production run.

I rather randomly stumbled on a YT channel this morning where a collector from back in that day had traded any rares he picked up for 2 booster backs (or one booster pack for a rare), thus ending up now 20ish years later with over $150,000 worth of collectable booster packs. He had created a channel dedicated to opening those packs. I can only assume he was either insane, or else was betting he'd pick up enough higher-cost ancient cards this way to make the value exchange (in opening high-cost unopened booster collectables) worth it. But then, to capitalize on that, he'd have to flood the market and devalue his own stock.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2018, 01:17:27 PM
Hm; so MtG's first advertisement in Dragon Mag, was for the Arabian Knights expansion? Its first expansion iirc.

WotC didn't run any ads of their own before that one ran.  WW was a distributor back then, and they had the first .\\tG ad.  WotC started running ads around the time Legends was released.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GroggyGrognard

I used to frequent Wargames West in the mid to late 80's. It was my second home when I was a teenager, whiling away many weekend hours in the back game room. I worked for their warehouse for a couple of years back in the early 90's--a few years before Magic: The Gathering craze hit.

Good memories. Thanks for posting!

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

bayonetbrant

mirth

Things certainly have changed

QuoteAs a pro athlete, Curt commands instant credibility

:2funny:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Hey, the digital Great Battles (of antiquity) series! Available in modern times at GoG, as I recall.  O0

ComradeP

I haven't played Great Battles of Hannibal yet. Of the other two, I think I liked Alexander more due to what felt like more varied battles. Caesar scenarios tended to become epic slugging matches, which were fun and historically accurate but could get repetitive.

I got Alexander from an uncle, who knew I liked strategy games, though was a bit too young to appreciate it fully at first. I remember sitting in his living room and playing Alexander when one of my cousins in her "horses are awesome" phase came in and gasped at the dead horses on the battlefield (the dead hoplites were seemingly not a problem). I removed them, clever of the designers to include a more family friendly option to remove the dead bodies. Well, it also removed clutter, maybe that was the real reason the feature was added.

The North vs. South Civil War spin-off (albeit by the series' designer) was mediocre, particularly considering that the excellent Grant, Lee, Sherman: Civil War Generals 2 had already been released two years earlier.

It might be typical for my "generation" of wargamers that I only found out a few minutes ago that the series was actually based on board wargames by GMT. I thought they were inspired by, not actual adaptions of, board wargames. For a number of series, I've only played the computer versions of the wargames in that series.

I liked the opening theme from Caesar so much that I listened to it for half an hour or maybe even an hour at some point (which I believe required shutting down and starting the game as it didn't loop IIRC, or maybe it only required starting a scenario and going back to the main menu). Those blasting trumpets and the booming score were one minute of epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9TLvXVzOVs

Man, does that bring back memories. The battle themes were simple but effective, some quality sound design there.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

bayonetbrant

bbmike

I've only played the LBB version of Traveller. I have the new Mongoose edition but have yet to play it. I don't know much about Traveller 2300 but I do know a lot people didn't like it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Ardwulf

Quote from: bbmike on June 07, 2018, 02:25:00 PM
I've only played the LBB version of Traveller. I have the new Mongoose edition but have yet to play it. I don't know much about Traveller 2300 but I do know a lot people didn't like it.

It was very different from regular Traveller, and misbranded such that a lot of people mistook it for a prequel or reboot. It's really quite a neat setting in its own way, more hard sf than Traveller tends to be.