#TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2015, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I had the original Third Reich game...that thing was a PITA to learn, especially the economy rules, but I would be damned if I wasn't going to try to play it back in the day...and did so many times, more than a few solo. $60 for a wargame back in the 80s was a king's fortune then.

mirth

Yeah, I bet I paid at least $40 for A3R back in the early 90s. That was a good chunk of dough for a kid making less than 20K/yr
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I think I was making 3.50 an hour...maybe closer to 4.00...whatever minimum wage was back in the late 80s.

It's sobering to consider that you'd have to work 20+ hours back then to pay for ONE wargame, whereas today, if I had free capital, it takes much less time to earn the dough for a game.

mirth

We're lucky that game prices have remained mostly flat over the past 30 years.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Very true...

It's funny that software is about the same, too. I worked at Babbage's back in 1989-90 and Electronics Boutique in 1990-91 and remember games like Leisure Suit Larry costing upwards of $59.99 or so when it came out. Just about every game was $59-70 or so brand new...didn't matter the platform. Amiga, Nintendo, PC, Apple, Mac, you name it.

mirth

I'm just happy we're not paying $150-$200 for games today.

BanzaiCat

Well, some games are priced at that level...we're talking about mega-games, though. I haven't seen many but it seems that the price point has gone up for a few of them, upwards of $80-100 or so for some.

mirth

Sure, but those are well outside the average. It's unusual for me to pay more than $60 for a game, board or video. Most of what I buy is well under that.

BanzaiCat

I tend to add a shitload of games to my Amazon cart and then select 'save for later.' Every so often I'll go check them, because the cart will show a list of any price changes on them. Sometimes they go down drastically in price. Armada, for example, was around $90, dropped to around $65, then soon after went back up to $80. It's like a retarded game stock market. I pretty much just hope that whatever I want is not on an upward trend when I earn a couple of Amazon gift cards.

mirth

Brant's gonna be pissed that we're not using the new thread :P

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20179

BanzaiCat

When has that ever stopped us from derailing a thread?

JasonPratt

Meanwhile: DRAGON STRIKE!

...the SSI "dragon combat simulator", not the board game.

I thought this was pretty fun, back in the day. Beat the campaign at least twice.  O0

Not as great as Drakan: Order of the Flame, for various reasons, but that was of course much later. (Essentiallly "Lara Croft: Dragon Raider".)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

i remember Dragon Strike. I thought it was kind of lame at the time. ;D

I was more into the lame-ish combat sims then...F-19, Falcon, etc....

Cyrano

I really, really, really wanted it not to suck.

But it did...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Republic of Rome which seems to be having a bit of a renaissance lately, especially thanks to a fan-produced prequel called Republic of Carthage.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!