#TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2015, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

While the GrogCast is on its Summer hiatus, we've got a new Tuesday feature for you: Gaming Nostalgia!

We're going to be running all sorts of old ads and articles from 25 or more years ago, back in the ancient days of gaming.  Keep your eyes out for some serious cobweb-clearing memory-shakers over the next few months :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

First up today - Recon, the RPG
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

pssst.... linky goes to "Got to Games: 7 Wonders" not Recon...

Double Deuce

Recon is one I never played. Wasn't really a fan of Palladium's stuff but now I'll have to scour the interwebs seeing what a copy of it costs.  :knuppel2:

Reading that ad, I wonder how we ever survived the "Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery". With all the ADD/ADHD out there these days, kids would probably be rioting in the streets if that was the case now.

BanzaiCat

I never played Recon either...role-playing in Vietnam didn't really appeal at the time, though there were plenty of ROTC classmates in high school that liked it.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on July 14, 2015, 09:41:23 AM
pssst.... linky goes to "Got to Games: 7 Wonders" not Recon...

fixed - thanks

bayonetbrant

wait 'til you guys see some of the coming weeks :)

BanzaiCat

bbmike

Hmm, I just found issues 1-7 of my ancient Task Force Games Nexus magazine if you need any content (if it's legal to do so, of course).  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on July 14, 2015, 10:15:38 AM
Hmm, I just found issues 1-7 of my ancient Task Force Games Nexus magazine if you need any content (if it's legal to do so, of course).  8)

Probably not, as they are still selling PDFs actively:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/168819/old-task-force-games-now-available-pdf

...though after checking each link I'm not finding Task Force Magazine, specifically, just a bunch of SFB stuff. I'm guessing they'd still claim copyright on Nexus, though.

Cyrano

Played a boatload of Recon which was originally released in a near-pamphlet format.  It then became ADVANCED Recon (oooooh) and was given a folio release.  Painted up a bunch of 22mm plastic VietNam era Marines to play ownside and, if memory serves, some Italieri VC.  There wasn't so much with the role playing in this game as there was the period between combats where you resupplied, rested, and prepared for the next mission.  The combat was also that modifier-heavy, check 14 charts, mid-80s sort of a thing that made Twilight 2000 such a joy.  Still, for the topic, it was the only game in town and, searching the collection, I've found I have two copies of Advanced Recon for some reason or another...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Cyrano

ESCI, later Italieri, but, yeah, much the same thing.

That was them!

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant