Any GIMP users here able to answer a simple question?

Started by acctingman, October 09, 2017, 09:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

HA!!....got you! It's not simple, at least not for me  :(

I have a data card from a board game and I'd like to change the data and/or be able to delete it off to create my own data cards for units I want to add to the game.

Any suck....., er takers?

Thanks

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Hell, I had to edit the title from "ask" to "answer"......shows you what kind of tools I have in my toolbox  :crazy2:

Barthheart

Why not just use Excel to create a whole new data card? Then you can change the data as often as you like.

acctingman

Quote from: Barthheart on October 10, 2017, 09:00:20 AM
Why not just use Excel to create a whole new data card? Then you can change the data as often as you like.

:o

#:-)

Good call Barth

Gives me something to do at work!!

bayonetbrant

you're going to have a hard time repeatedly changing the data with GIMP b/c it's a raster-based app, so every time you want to change the type, you have to erase the existing type's pixels on the screen, and then retype what you're after.

Excel or Word or PPT let you type as much as you want but might not be as aesthetically pleasing as you prefer
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

acctingman

I'm trying to replicate the Panzer data cards for units I want to add to the game, so Excel might be a decent option.

Barthheart

I figured that was what you were working on.

I'd use Excel for the basic shape and data entry, and then use Power Point to insert pics and background stuff to make it look nice.

acctingman

Quote from: Barthheart on October 10, 2017, 10:09:46 AM
I figured that was what you were working on.

I'd use Excel for the basic shape and data entry, and then use Power Point to insert pics and background stuff to make it look nice.

Thanks Barth (you too brant!!)

So.....next question. How do I do this at work and make it look like I'm working?  :bd:

chemkid

you'll need a boss-key ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_key ) or some innocent looking desktop wallpaper to switch back to in an emergency. ;)

acctingman

Quote from: chemkid on October 10, 2017, 10:42:35 AM
you'll need a boss-key ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_key ) or some innocent looking desktop wallpaper to switch back to in an emergency. ;)

Grogger of the year right here folks!!!!

Thanks Chemkid  :P