Company of Heroes 3 - Available now

Started by Destraex, July 13, 2021, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Does this content strike anybody as a $17usd expansion from a company of heroes game?

What really gets me is that amazon skins are paywall yet people who don't have amazon but paid for the expansion in the pre-order versions are having the only usable content (the two battlegroups) for skirmish and multiplayer "core" player base given away for free through merits. For me this is just a slap in the face.

I expected a tonne more content than we are getting, but then having paid for it to have the only parts I did want given away is heart wrenching. I basically get nothing for my money. This expansion should have been a free update with the real expansion to come.

This is going to upset even the most loyal fans I imagine. The ones who cared enough to buy the higher tier pre-order bundles but are now getting nothing "special" other than a few incomplete skin sets (that will probably be given away later through merits where the amazon ones will not) and a campaign battlegroup that will be useless for most of us staple skirmish and multiplayer community types.

The whole expansion amounts to a few DLC trinkets. It's an absolute travesty.

This so called expansion makes me fear for the games future. Makes me wonder if these expansion items are just what could be scrounged up from hoarded left over assets from original production?

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Father Ted

Quote from: al_infierno on September 12, 2023, 11:02:58 PMSo Destraex... what's the verdict here?  Is COH3 worth picking up, on sale or otherwise?

I have to admit I've inexplicably found myself in hot, passionate need of a good World War 2 RTS.  Something that's not quite as heady as Combat Mission, not as old as COH2 or the 2D Close Combat games, and not as awful as Close Combat: The Bloody First.

I understand Call to Arms add-on Gates of Hell fits roughly what you're describing, but I've not played it

Jarhead0331

I can state without reservation that CTA: Gates of Hell is f*cking awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: al_infierno on September 12, 2023, 11:02:58 PMSo Destraex... what's the verdict here?  Is COH3 worth picking up, on sale or otherwise?

I have to admit I've inexplicably found myself in hot, passionate need of a good World War 2 RTS.  Something that's not quite as heady as Combat Mission, not as old as COH2 or the 2D Close Combat games, and not as awful as Close Combat: The Bloody First.
Sorry for the late reply. I still enjoy COH3, however not sure how much support it will get moving forward as the playerbase is really very low. I still think modern games are a little watered down though, like the passion is diluted by modern staffing. If combat mission had better multiplayer modes I would probably be giving this a miss. But it does not and combat mission does not have the movie like animations and gameplay. The responsiveness and personality of the soldiers.

Destraex

New features coming to coh3 in the next patch including two new battlegroups including an australian one (the other one is Afrika Korp). The poor new zealanders who were more active in italy after the desert have missed out for now. Also more maps and rewards. A surrender feature and all campaign missions being playable individually.
Love it. Going to be a good patch.
I almost forgot the big one. We can now choose our coop matchmaking difficulty level. That was sorely needed hard is a minimum for me in this game (same as WARNO).

As you are probably all aware, SEGA dropped coh3 devs relic and so this is either a last ditch effort or the start of a concentrated effort with some real resources poured into coh3. Time will tell.

Destraex

Well I can say now that I am really enjoying the latest patch. I might be a little biased because of the Aussies though. We have found that expert AI is the best AI to play against. Expert gives the best challenge and frantic feel of the previous titles in the series.
I love the little challenges you can do in each match. The new type they have called accolades has me intrugued.

With the Aussies the Brits now have a coh1 feel to them. What I mean by this is the Aussie battlegroup allows machinegun nests, bofors emplacements as well as 17pdr emplacements to be built. That along with heavier cover to be built. They are called sangars and have really good frontal protection and cannot be destroyed by light vehicles.