Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Super Carrier module is up for pre-order!  :smitten:
Price comes down to (only) 25 dollah if you own Hornet already.  \m/
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 17, 2020, 12:41:44 PM

Plus you can use miles. I think my total cost was like $21.00!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2020, 12:44:20 PM

Sweet, might grab the Jf-17 and use the miles on supercarrier.

Destraex

Got it. Now waits for a year for early access :)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on January 17, 2020, 06:23:08 PM

Not. End of 1st quarter 2020.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Skoop on January 17, 2020, 05:36:32 PM

Commie!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2020, 06:40:37 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 17, 2020, 06:23:08 PM

Not. End of 1st quarter 2020.
Thanks. Good to know.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

Quote from: mikeck on January 17, 2020, 10:30:24 PM
Quote from: Skoop on January 17, 2020, 05:36:32 PM

Commie!

I know I feel so slimy, I immediately went and downloaded US and NATO liveries for the JF17.  Couldn't resist, the module is very well done with an impressive array of capabilities.  Even has Air to Ground Radar, only thing lacking is a helmet mounted sight or an IRST system, but it's so potent already.

mikeck

I get it. I like to fly long missions requiring refuel or bags and want my aircraft to be able to carry a lot of ordinance. Jeff's legs are too short and no AAR capability

I'm interested to know what DCS relies on for its performance modeling. The Chinese can't make a reliable jet engine yet this thing seems to be a eurofighter or something
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

The JF-17's engine is a Russian made Klimov so....your right about Chinese engines.  The JF means joint fighter, where several nations collaborated in the project. Primarily China and Pakistan, with help from Migoyan and even Grumman which bailed after the Tiananmen 89 sanctions.  Much of the design is a progression from the Chinese licensed mig21, but the cockpit layout is very F16ish due to the Paki airforce flying F16s and wanting familiarity there.

mikeck

Quote from: Skoop on January 19, 2020, 08:51:00 PM
The JF-17's engine is a Russian made Klimov so....your right about Chinese engines.  The JF means joint fighter, where several nations collaborated in the project. Primarily China and Pakistan, with help from Migoyan and even Grumman which bailed after the Tiananmen 89 sanctions.  Much of the design is a progression from the Chinese licensed mig21, but the cockpit layout is very F16ish due to the Paki airforce flying F16s and wanting familiarity there.

Yep. I meant the engine comment more as a reason why I question whether the avionics/radar system is as effective as it seems in game. Modern active scanned array radars
Are incredibly complex. Who knows...maybe it is....stolen or made. I'm just suspicious of the performance claims made by certain nations about the aircraft the are looking to sell overseas; or even in general. The F-18 and F-16 have been around for so long and there are so many users that we have a general idea how they stack up. If this was 1976, the mig-25 in DCF would have insane maneuverability and an excellent radar.

But admittedly, I'm biased in favor of western equipment: moreso based on historical performance than any personal preference. But I do wonder what ED relies on for its specifications. I'd always thought that was the main reason they won't develop more modern aircraft like the F-18e/f, Rafael, typhoon, etc: lack of unclassified performance data.

Skoop

Once the supercarriers out, I'll probably go back to the f18 and F14.  I'll put more time into the F16 as well once it's closer to being feature complete.   

mikeck

I picked up the F-16 on release...determined to love it and make
It my go-to plane (I had been flying the F-18). I've flown it a little but I can't seem to get the hang of the target and sensor controls. Only thing I don't like about it is the whole thing with the Tpod where it goes to a nearby waypoint and  I'm moving that waypoint to which the Tpod is slaved. That... and switching between dogfight mode and others messes me up.

1. Make Tpod/TGP SOI
2 try to get the Tpod to move, it won't move right.
3. Hit nose wheel steering until it swings to a waypoint in CCRP mode.
4. Wont work. Curse. Discover that doing that made the HUD SOI.
5. Make TGP SOI. Lock target, drop bomb and forget that I have to hold laser down the whole time.

So all "me issues"...just not intuitive for me.

That said, I love flying it. My only gripe is about flying it NOW....not the plane itself. And that is the lack of weapons and working gadgetry. A lot of things aren't implemented and I can only fire rockets, dumb bombs or LGBs. I think once they get some other weapons in, I'll try again. I have a feeling that once both the F-18 and F-16 are done, I'll be in a Vioer exclusively. Carrier ops aren't a big thing for me.

Right now, I'm concentrating on learning everything I can about the f-18. Learning TACAN (no cheating with F-10), AA refueling and especially the DSS and SA system. It's amazing how much info is there.

I'd love to learn the F-14 but I don't think I have the finesse to fly an aircraft which doesn't stop me from ripping the wings off and Is so.....analog! Ewwww.

I bought the mirage 2000 first and haven't touched it. Only reason is that I don't want to fly into combat with 4 AAMs only and I don't know if it can do much more ATG. But I've always loved the look of the Mirage.

Jarhead0331

I have a confession to make.

I tried AAR for the first time yesterday.

I was in a hornet attempting to connect to a KC-130 in level flight. I only tried for about 10 minutes and I wasn't able to connect. My biggest challenge was maintaining speed. I'll have to work on that.

My reality with DCS is that I don't fly missions that are long enough to require AAR, but I think it's an important skill to have, and well...bragging rights.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

And then know that AAR with the Hornet is easier than with the Hog. And the Hog easier again than the Viper due to the location of the refueling port (behind you).
:)

It's an excellent proficiency training! Keep at it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."