What do you do when you love a game, but suck at it?

Started by Gusington, January 12, 2020, 05:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

If I'm banging my head against the proverbial brick wall in a game I'm otherwise enjoying, and have already tried the obvious stuff -- read the manual, watched some tutorial/LP videos, etc. -- and it's simply no producing results, I often step away from it for a bit.  Sometimes simply taking a breather (whether that's for a few days, a few weeks, or even months on occasion) is ultimately what's most helpful for me. 

Of course, if I still can't seem to find my "breakthrough" moment in a game after returning from said break, I can generally recognize and accept (however reluctantly) that the game just isn't for me.  It sucks, obviously, but we all know it happens sometimes. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Think i'll blame my attention span for sucking at games. I don't really stick with a game long enough to git gud....as they say. These days the more i suck at a game the quicker i switch to a new one......see i have a strategy to deal with my suckitude. I also train for failure and sucking by playing Darkest Dungeon, it helps remind me when i forget i suck at games.

I still get by with an FPS game, the reflexes aren't as quick but i can slay some muther fockers  :knuppel2:

One good thing about sucking at games is you'll never have to waste your time complaining about the AI
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Hirudine

I just try again and again and again, and if still doesn't work, I go online and search for tutorials.

Moreb

Great topic Gus. Much of my problem was that I used to like the idea of monster games more than I enjoyed playing them. I wouldn't invest the time to fully know the rules so I'd never get good. War in the East is a perfect example of it. I so love the idea, but my attention span never last long enough to dig deeper. Same with War in the Pacific. Not knowing the subject matter at all concerning that part of the war was the real hurdle I never got over.

When dongles fly? - mirth

Gusington

I hear you, believe me. Energy is also a factor...some evenings I just don't have any.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

I tend to go out to the Internet and find cheats/exploits/winning strategies.  It feels like a cop-out to me when I do that to figure out strategic combos that were within my power to solve, but not so much when there's some aspect of a game's interface I'm just not grocking...  (you mean this game only plays in Iron Man mode?  Ohhhh...)

Windigo

Hmmm, playing the new Long War mod for the War of The Chosen (XCOM2). I get so far OK, then the game shifts gears and my beloved soldiers start dying hideous deaths faster than the stupid gophers at a gun range.

I don't rage quit, I quietly fume quit.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd