JTS' "The Seven Years War" -- RELEASED

Started by Cyrano, August 23, 2018, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 24, 2018, 11:31:35 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 24, 2018, 08:31:10 AM
Yes!

Hochkirk, 4am in a dense fog, the Austrians are attacking pretty much from the rear (which is covered only by a 4th-rate Freikorps sort of).  Prince Moritz gets up and rides down the road to join the infantry under his command:

Hochkirk -- a little over two hours later, the fog is starting to clear, the Austrians are coming in from all sides (they have taken some crossroads up north) -- Dragoons and Hussars are whacking and banging away all over, but the Prussian artillery is starting to come into play and the Prussians are about to start launching some massive heavy cavalry charges:

rahamy

Quote from: mikeck on August 24, 2018, 08:03:17 PM
Never played a Tiller game....is there a good active forum for this ha e?

There's several clubs listed on our site:  http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Resources.php
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager
https://wargameds.com/

rahamy

We had a hiccup during mastering and the default Optional Rules were not set as desired. The attached image has them set as we suggest:
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager

rahamy

We had a couple of issues to resolve, and since its so close to release we went ahead and did a new build. I'm uploading that now, so anyone who purchased it will be getting an email from our system telling them a new version is available. Its legit, just uninstall your original copy and do a new install with your existing one. There will be a new button on the Optional Rules page labeled "default", clicking it will set all the default optional rules.
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager

MengJiao

In other news: Big Rout at Torgau -- Prussian Grenadiers run for it -- or how not to cross a bridge and try to deploy right next to the Austrians in 1760:

mikeck

First play- introduction video. Unless you really just want to see what the game looks like, don't waste your time watching. It's like listening to Bob Ross painting. Never really telling you how to do anything but instead, making observations for an hour. "Ok...this looks like the French army. So yeah...I guess this is a...no...yeah...that must be artillery. Look at the water."  But, i can't make these videos so i'll shut up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iugrBsA0n7g

My personal needy requirement for graphics aside, so far it's a great game. I'm sure it's like other Tiller games but new to me.

And let's face it, if turnbased tactical warfare in 18th century Europe is your thing, it's basically just this and some user-made content for "Pike and Shot". So beggars can't be choosers. I do like the background sounds.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Cyrano

Actually, they are getting better graphically and in some ways significantly.

I'm a candidate for JTS fanboi prime (Mrs. Dr. T. and his mom notwithstanding), but it's only through some terrific mods -- some of them done by JIson who's doing much of the art now -- that I could bear the aesthetic.

Just the color palette choices now are significantly better.

Only TW games exceed TW games for looks, but those games can't get close to the Tiller games as historical "simulations" either.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mikeck

Yeah, I edited and took out my comments about the graphics. I don't like complaining about things like that on games like this. You know what you're getting and something like that is just personal preference. I will say that I find the graphics utilitarian. But compared to previous titles, much improved.

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't play Tiller games before because I found the graphics so bad as to be distracting. In this day and age, I can't imagine it's that hard to design crisp textured counters and a pretty map
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: Cyrano on August 30, 2018, 04:33:23 PM

It's weird how the color palette makes so much difference.  Looking back at Republican Bayonets (recently released) -- it looks horrible compared to this game.

panzerde

Quote from: MengJiao on August 30, 2018, 05:30:13 PM

It's weird how the color palette makes so much difference.  Looking back at Republican Bayonets (recently released) -- it looks horrible compared to this game.

RBR looks great if you happen to have Steve's mod for these games! :-)

Which I have, and would be happy to share with anyone that wants it. It will make RBR look much more like SYW.

I will note that the unit art in RBR is really quite nice. There are also some fantastic scenarios in that one.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Late to the party here - as it looks like several folks are discovering, this is just a phenomenal game. There just isn't anything that covers the period like this does. It was a pleasure to playtest this with Jim!

southern_cross_116

Quote from: panzerde on August 30, 2018, 05:41:22 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 30, 2018, 05:30:13 PM

RBR looks great if you happen to have Steve's mod for these games! :-)

Which I have, and would be happy to share with anyone that wants it. It will make RBR look much more like SYW.

I will note that the unit art in RBR is really quite nice. There are also some fantastic scenarios in that one.

I am not really intending to have hidden them, but I just never got around to having a proper page for them yet. Doug, if you still have the link feel free to share it ... probably be quicker at it than I would be.
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

panzerde

southern_cross_116

Turns out I hadn't ever updated my RBR winter files entirely ... fixed that and found them ... am uploading, and will post a link later on. The screenshots are all old (as of today) -and on my to do list to replace with current ones.

http://hist-sdc.com/napoleonic-battles/index2.htm
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

GaryMc

One note that came off of the Blitz. It seems that a bit of a bug has crept into the game that we didn't catch in testing.

It appears that adding a leader to a melee is actually going to hurt you. The reasons are technical, but the modifiers are being improperly applied by the game. I've already sent it off to Rich, but until the 1.01 patch comes out (and I've not been told when that is, with John's military work, I doubt it's immediate), I'd highly suggest that you not use leaders with your melees.

Sorry we missed this. It's an unforseen side effect of something new in the game, and very few people use the dialogue box for combat any more, which is how it didn't get seen.