Red Shell spyware integrated into Civ 6 code?!

Started by solops, June 13, 2018, 07:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

As the title says. There is a thread about it on the Civ6 Steam forums and the 2K forums. I am on my kindle right now so I cannot provide the links. I was tolerating Civ6 on my HD hoping for an AI fix. No more. It goes into the trash and I'll never buy a 2K game again.

Edit: OK, see if this works.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/1694923613870153288/
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Bardolph

Well that sucks. Uninstalled for now. Hopefully they will remove this garbage like several other games have done once they were called out on it.
Sorry to see so many suck-ups in that Steam thread. Why people defend this sort of thing boggles my mind.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

:-\ I've been doing a little internet searching and it appears its more than just Civ VI thats infected.  One list I saw has:

Elder Scrolls Online
Civilization VI
Any game in the Total War series
Kerbal Space Program
Warhammer: Vermintide 2
Dead by Daylight
Warhammer 40k Eternal Crusade
Magic the Gathering Arena
My Time At Portia
Battlerite
AER Memories of Old
Guardians of Ember
The Onion Knights
Realm Grinder
Heroine
Anthem Zero
Krosmaga
Secret World Legends
Hunt: Showdown
Escapists 2

I just did a quick search on my PC and found RedShellSDK.dll in my Kerbal directory.  I was not too surprised since there was much noise about the new EULA with that last Kerbal DLC/update.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Do we have another Facebook-privacy-gate sized thing here?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

solops

I did not find RedShellSDK.dll on my PC. I did find RedShell.dll in my TW Attila, Warhammer and Warhammer II directories. It was not in Rome 2, Shogun 2, Empire or Napoleon. Time to start some awareness over on their boards?

Gusington

On Steve's list I only have Total War games and just installed Elder Scrolls Online. I wonder what happens to those games if I attempt to delete Red Shell.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

Quote from: steve58 on June 14, 2018, 08:25:01 AM
I just did a quick search on my PC and found RedShellSDK.dll in my Kerbal directory. 

Confirmed.  (in KSP_Data & KSP_x64_Data - managed directory)

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Thanks Yassy - I wonder what Creative Assembly's response will be.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

solops

I started a thread over on the CA forum. It was deleted within 5 minutes. So was another thread on RedShell. I also started one the TWC forums.

solops

I found a response from CA in the Steam forums:

Originally posted by CA Ella:
Hey, everyone.

Just so you know: we're not ignoring this issue – we're just making sure we've got all the facts and have addressed all your questions before we post a statement.

We're aiming to get this out ASAP, so thanks for bearing with us in the meantime.

You can also find a brief overview of how Red Shell works here: https://redshell.io/gamers