IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

BOS 3.001 and the new Kuban DLC just dropped.  I am very impressed with where this sim is now.  It is solid and beautiful.  And looking at plans for even more content down the road, its becoming a sim worthy of the IL-2 name.

Skoop

JudgeDredd

I've kind let slip my enthusiasm for WWII flight sims over the years...nail in the coffin being Cliffs of Dover.

This thread piqued my interest again but when I visited the site, I was saddened to see Cliffs of Dover sitting there - were these the devs that created that shitehole game?

If not - I might be tagged back into this.  ^-^

Of course, there's always DCS which is doing a WWII theatre - I'd be interested to know if anyone has both and what they think.
Alba gu' brath

Father Ted

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 15, 2018, 05:50:33 AM
I've kind let slip my enthusiasm for WWII flight sims over the years...nail in the coffin being Cliffs of Dover.

This thread piqued my interest again but when I visited the site, I was saddened to see Cliffs of Dover sitting there - were these the devs that created that shitehole game?
l

Of course, there's always DCS which is doing a WWII theatre - I'd be interested to know if anyone has both and what they think.

They should have ditched the IL2 name - it has just caused confusion.  BoX is unrelated to CloD.  It has become a very good sim since a slightly shaky start (when they tried to embrace gamey things like unlocks)..  It really is worth a look - and they have regular sales.

BTW CloD is unrecognisable from the PoS it was on release.  An independent team of modders have ironed out just about all the kinks and added some new content as well.  This new "Blitz" edition is £20 on Steam.

RyanE

CloD is 100% improved from its original release by the community modders.  It still has some issues that date back to the origins, like AI wingman and opponents.

To me BoX is now the epitome of a WW2 flight sim.  It has improved as a game immensely since its weird initial release.

Skoop

BOX is by far the best WWII flight sim right now, the new content added a dedicated career mode to better the SP experience and a Coop mode for MP.  You can now host games from inside the game menu with out messing with the dedicated server client.

They run regular half off sales, if you get BOS, you get all the new updates.  You only miss the aircraft and careers from the other ones (BOM / BOK)  It's the opposite of battlefront, you by one module and you forever get the latest version.  You even can fly on maps you don't own in MP, great decision so that MP doesn't get fragmented into multiple versions.

DCS WWII needs a lot of work, I regret buying it at this point because I never fly the WWII stuff.  Every time I go to DCS it's for the modern stuff.

MengJiao

Quote from: RyanE on March 15, 2018, 02:16:31 PM
CloD is 100% improved from its original release by the community modders.  It still has some issues that date back to the origins, like AI wingman and opponents.

To me BoX is now the epitome of a WW2 flight sim.  It has improved as a game immensely since its weird initial release.

I thought BoX was more a descendant of Rise of Flight than of IL-2 or CLoD.  I like BoX.  I will probably be looking into it sometime soon.

RyanE

Its developed by the same team as RoF, but is a completely different engine, from my understanding.

Father Ted

Quote from: RyanE on March 15, 2018, 04:54:01 PM
Its developed by the same team as RoF, but is a completely different engine, from my understanding.

It's an improved version of the same engine.  If you know RoF, BoX will be instantly familiar (in terms of UI, not planes obvs.)  In fact, the team are going back to WW1 with "Flying Circus" which will effectively update RoF to the current BoX engine.  But it's all evolution rather than revolution.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

IronX

I like the improvements to the game. Normally I play multi-player only, but I am enjoying the new off-line career mode.

Dammit Carl!

MengJiao

Silent Disapproval Robot

Update is slooowwww...  2.70GB.  It's been over an hour and I'm at 475 MB.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 15, 2018, 05:50:33 AM

I quickly dropped CoD after doing some IL-2BOS long ago.  BOS is my only go-to WW2 flight sim right now; the rest just don't compare. 

Although I haven't flown in IL-2 for a long time.  Cold War jets addiction for me, baby.  :coolsmiley:  Despite getting my ass kicked in these '70s era minimal-tech rides.

<:-)