What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 02, 2018, 12:39:28 PM
I found several of the Bruce Catton Civil War books in my Mom's inheritance from her favorite uncle. {checking} Not that one tho.

This reminds me, I have a few giveaway book offers I need to list somewhere...

Indeed you do!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Hm, relatedly, where best to list giveaway (or bids!) on book offers...? I mean here on the forum.

(Note that Catton's books won't be on there. I'm keeping several dozen of the inherited books, at least for a while, and I threw away twelve 55 gallon bags of books which were simply way out of date like old test-books for college classes in the 50s. At some point I should brag about my haul I'm keeping tho!  :D )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

There's always somebody who didn't get the memo.
Had no idea that Timothy Zahn was still writing Star Wars novels.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrawn-Alliances-Star-Wars/dp/052548048X
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

Quote from: mirth on August 02, 2018, 08:51:05 AM
Just starting A Stillness at Appomattox by Bruce Catton

All the Catton books are first class.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on August 03, 2018, 09:08:46 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 02, 2018, 08:51:05 AM
Just starting A Stillness at Appomattox by Bruce Catton

All the Catton books are first class.

O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

Actions books are great.  They have been popping up on kindle deals occasionally.

I finished the Mercedes Lackey trilogy: Hunter, Elite and Apex.  They were ok young adultish monster hunting books in a dystopian future.  Magic dogs from fairy land give the protagonist her powers.

MetalDog

Love Lackey.  I find her earlier Valdemar books stronger.  But I generally like her style.  Hadn't heard of the series you read before now.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

I started reading the Kindle edition of Forgotten Battlefields of World War II (Hidden History Book 3) by Joseph Cummins. It's not a bad read, but it's obvious it was not reviewed by an editor, and there's tons of typos in it that are highly annoying. I'm finding this to be a trend more and more often with the authors I don't know as well.

Gusington

Just started Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Hugette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune by Bill Dedman and Paul Clark Newell Jr.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson by S.C. Gwynne. Six Hundred pages. I should be good for awhile.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

JasonPratt

Toll's duology has been on my Kindle for a while.  O0

Just haven't gotten to it yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just finished up 3 Osprey booklets.

The Hitlerjugend vs Canuck one was decent but relied heavily on excerpts from Mark Zuehlke's trilogy Juno Beach, Holding Juno, and Breakout From Juno which I've already read.   

The Cromwell vs. Jagdpanther had some interesting info on the development of each vehicle but there wasn't a lot of detail on their use in combat from a tanker's perspective. 

The Canadian Forces one was pretty weak and really only covered the Army.  The Air Force and Navy were barely touched upon.  Much of the info on the Army was focused on minutiae such as helmet lining and how the buttons on uniforms differed from the Brits.  Little on regimental histories or deployments, OOBs, battle history, etc.

Just starting this one now.

Marius and Sulla have interested me ever since I read characterizations of them in McCullough's Men of Rome series.  Looking forward to this one.

airboy

I just finished Leckie's "Helmet for my Pillow" about the 1st Marine Division in the pacific.  From the same outfit came the book, "With the Old Breed" by EB Sledge.

Leckie was a very educated man from New Jersey and professional writer (newspaper reporter) when he enlisted after Pearl Harbor.  Sledge was younger and from the rural South who later got an education from the GI Bill.

Leckie was in and out of the brig.  He really disliked being under military discipline.  He was also a front line troop (machine gunner and scout).  Sledge did not get into as much trouble, trusted the Marines that they were trying to make them successful and to stay alive, did not hate officers as much.  Sledge was a "close to the front" troop as a mortar guy.

Both write about the same things.  Sledge survived the entire campaign and fought in Okinawa.  Leckie was hurt at Palau and spent the last months of the war in a US hospital.  Both lost about everyone they enlisted with to death, wounds, suicide, or insanity.

Both are good books, but I like Sledge's better.  Leckie's ending annoys me.  He writes about the "sin" of the atomic bomb.  Leckie has sympathy for the Japanese infantry.  Sledge like most all other Pacific vets was very greatful for the A-bomb and really hated the Japs.  Sledge thought the A-Bomb probably saved his life and the lives of many Japanese.