What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Oh yeah, I know that one. Very well reviewed book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Read Ghost Fleet a couple of weeks ago.  Quick read.  Not as strong as Red Strom Rising or Red Phoenix, but pretty good. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Recently, I've finished Collision of Empires and Germany Ascendant.  Both by Prit Buttar.  These are the first two of a four book series about the eastern front during World War 1.  It covers Russia, Germany, Austria-Hunger, and Serbia. 

I've started on the third book in the series, Russia's Last Gasp. 

I'm really starting to get into WWI with this series and the Der Weltkrieg table games. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: trailrunner on July 28, 2018, 08:38:55 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2018, 03:12:54 PM
So I just came from my village library's book sale and got:

- Neptune's Inferno - The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by Jaames Hornfischer - perfect library hard copy, 1.00

I recently read this book and liked it a lot. I was at a bookstore last weekend and saw another book that he wrote on the war in the Pacific from 1943-45, so I bought it.

Good finds!

Neptune's Inferno is a favorite of mine. I've loved everything I've read by Hornfisher.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on July 28, 2018, 10:42:09 PM
Neptune's Inferno is a favorite of mine. I've loved everything I've read by Hornfisher.

same.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

I have a ridiculous backlog of books right now. Almost as bad as my game backlog :P

WallysWorld

Found this in the bargain section a weeks ago and just finished reading it. Gives a good history of the SS in general and brief histories of a lot of Waffen SS divisions. It's basically a compilation of smaller Osprey books.

Now back to:
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

I just bought that Victorian City book for about a dollah.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Quote from: Gusington on August 01, 2018, 05:37:28 PM
I just bought that Victorian City book for about a dollah.
I'm on the section about traveling to and from London on coaches. I think you'll find the book interesting.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mirth

Just starting A Stillness at Appomattox by Bruce Catton

Gusington

Wally - yeah the book looks very interesting. Also looks like a quick, breezy read.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I found several of the Bruce Catton Civil War books in my Mom's inheritance from her favorite uncle. {checking} Not that one tho.

This reminds me, I have a few giveaway book offers I need to list somewhere...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!