Air combat game/mod request

Started by mikeck, May 12, 2017, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I was wondering if any of you air combat flight sim guys know of any game - or more likely- mod for a game that allows the layer to fly an F-111 or an A-6? Most games only allow for A-10's or multi-roles.

I'm dying to fly a nighttime low lever interdiction mission instead of CAPs or simple ground support missions

Heck, I'd take a B1-B too
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Strike Fighters 2 series definitely has an A-6 and most probably an F-111 somewhere. Additionally, I believe IL-2: 1946 with the B.A.T mod probably also has an A-6 and F-111.  Fidelity and quality will vary among mods, and neither title is study sim level if that is what you are looking for.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

I agree with JH. Those are both very good sims. SF2 is probably much more accessible and a hell of a lot easier to mod than IL-2.

I would start by poking around the SF2 mods at combatace.com. The catalog of add-on planes is very impressive.

IL-2 is cheap over at GoG but modding it is a hobby unto itself. SF2 is not outrageously expensive (www.thirdwire.com) but it is a lot easier to mod. I would start with SF2: North Atlantic since it provides very good carrier operations and is a good base for most mods. Look at the Desert Storm mod at combatace.com. It expands the flyable aircraft list big time. I think there is at least one F-111 in that mod.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD

Echoing the above.  Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam has both an A-6 and F-111 flyable out of the box.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 12, 2017, 01:36:20 PM
Echoing the above.  Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam has both an A-6 and F-111 flyable out of the box.

There is no flyable F-111 in any of the Strike Fighters titles out of the box. It would require a mod. The Vietnam Air & Ground War Expansion for SF2, which is one of the greatest mods available for the sim, has the F-111A, I believe.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 12, 2017, 02:50:50 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 12, 2017, 01:36:20 PM

There is no flyable F-111 in any of the Strike Fighters titles out of the box. It would require a mod. The Vietnam Air & Ground War Expansion for SF2, which is one of the greatest mods available for the sim, has the F-111A, I believe.

So it is.  It's been so long since I booted it up in vanilla, and the vanilla had so many aircraft, I guess I remembered wrong.  Still, I think it's probably the game that most fits the bill. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mikeck

OK guys thank you. I've played strike fighters to but it's a little too "light "for me; but maybe I'll give it a shot anyway
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Redwolf

Here is a F-111 for X-Plane.  I like X-plane a lot but have not used any combat functionality in there.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/11687-f111-aardvark/

Redwolf

A-6 for X-plane. Looks like an older mod.

Both seem to be prepared for carrier operations in the game.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/1445-a6-intruder-v840/

Toonces

I recorded this quite a few years ago in SF2:Vietnam. 

https://vimeo.com/24961941

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

WallysWorld

I've been playing a lot of SF2 the last month or so. It's just the right amount of complexity for me. Playing the Rolling Thunder campaign as a Marine pilot in SF2 Vietnam and I just shot down my first two MIG's.

Great series of games!

Though I am tempted to download the free install of DCS from Steam to try it out.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

DoctorQuest

SF does not pretend to be anything it's not. It was designed to simulate air combat without a lot of point and click overhead and it does that very nicely. And there are some seriously good mods out there that blow the original sim out of the water IMHO.

DCS is accurate and pretty (and runs like crap on my rig  :P) but it does not really provide the variety and number of historic air combat arenas available with SF.

I am liking what I see with IL-2 BAT but even the latest version is a bit of a modding nightmare.

I can't speak to X-Plane but I have heard good things about it.

If you do find something along the lines of what you're looking for please share. I'm always looking for a good sim.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mikeck

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on May 13, 2017, 12:07:04 AM
I might have to reistall SF2.

I would recommend investigating the various difficulty settings, in the SF2 manual, for serious simmers.

Nearly all the 'difficulty' settings should be set to the maximum option for a decent sim experience.  The rest of the lower settings can be quite Arcade-y.  The AI is also a pushover unless you bump it up to some extent.

Perhaps the only one you may want to drop down a level is the one encompassing air/ground target labels and the textual speed/range indicator.

There are a huge amount of flyable plane mods for the SF2 series.  Just make sure you check which SF2 module(s) you may need for each, as it can vary quite a bit.