Wings Over the Reich released

Started by WallysWorld, September 05, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millipede

Their WWI sim went through several iterations (started with "Over Flanders Fields" and ended with "Wings Over Flanders Fields - UE") and I imagine that's the goal with WOTR.

"In later phases we hope to take the battle across the sea back to Europe, and eventually as the title suggests, take the war back over the German Reich in World War 2!
Please visit our Website for more details."  www.wingsoverthereich.com

About owning CSF3... I'm not sure but I think I remember that I had to insert my CSF3 disk for verification although nothing was installed from it.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Toonces

^ Damn, that looked horrible.  I'm not saying, "No Buy" but....damn.  That was bad.  Those graphics...I dunno, somehow it just isn't as charming as it was in WoFF.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Not very smart to fly into all that flak. lol.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

i'll certainky be purchasing when i get home this weekend.,,,

Silent Disapproval Robot

Think I'll hold off until there are more flyables.

JudgeDredd

I didn't think the graphics were that shabby - about what I expected for the game given the age of the engine...and that's coming from someone who is a self confessed graphics whore.

I still won't be buying because of the graphics...but as has already been mentioned, it's about the dynamic campaign (for some people) when it comes to this game.
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Yup. No other game requires you to prove to the higher ups that you actually shot something down. You need a witness too.  That is immersion for you. Do they still do this in WW2?  :bd:

trek

With the old Over Flanders Fields you did need to use the CFS3 disc to run the game. With WOFF you did not. About a month ago I decided to purchase the last iteration and got WOFF UE (Ultimate Edition) even though I already had regular WOFF. WOFF UE is a definite improvement over regular WOFF. Better graphics and shaders and the game runs much smoother.

Yes, the game has great immersion and atmosphere, but more importantly it also has great enemy AI. Dogfights are challenging. I have all the best Combat Flight sims: DCS, IL-2 BOS, BOM, BOK as well as ROF, BOB2 and IL-2 COD. All the sims I have just listed have pretty good enemy AI with the exception of IL-2 COD.

Yes, Team Fusion has done a fantastic job of bringing back IL-2 COD from the dead with an emphasis on MP. But it has one glaring weakness for SP and that is the enemy AI doesn't put up much of an offensive fight. TF has admitted has much and are working on it especially since they are eventually going to release a North Africa add-on.

Funny, as old as it is BOB2 probably has the best enemy AI of all the flights sims I've ever played. Someone here mentioned that they recently re-installed TW's Strike Fighters 2. I did the same thing awhile back. I played regular SF2 and SF2V for a few weeks and then promptly uninstalled them. Why? The enemy AI sucks in offensive dogfighting.

So, I'm saying all this because I'm a graphics whore too. But I just might buy WOTR and overlook the graphics because of the great dogfighting and atmosphere in the game.

As Shakespeare once said: "The plays the thing."

PanzersEast

Ultimately WOFF had a excellent Dynamic Campaign, immersion, and good AI.  This one for me is probably a no brainier.  The graphics are not on par with other newly released games, however none of them can touch the AI and Campaign and that is what gives a flight sim longevity.... Falcon anyone?  BOB2 is still on my HD as well...

I'm jumping in and will report back after I have a couple of missions under my belt.

DoctorQuest

We appreciate you taking one for the team. O0 :notworthy:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Skoop

I don't think the graphics are as bad as that video above.  If I crank up all the settings in WOFF UE it looks pretty good, not Dcs or BOX, but good.  You wouldn't notice CS3 at all.  And you don't need the CS3 at all, the validation is built in.

Grim.Reaper

I bought this today, not much time in it, hopefully this weekend.....install process is simple, download about 2.8 GB and then during install you have to input your order number.  Nothing else required and does not check for any other software.  Personally, I think the graphics totally look fine....may not be at the level of other games, but I see very little wrong with it for my own personal tastes.  Has a robust campaign system and that will keep things fresh.  Not as worried about the number of planes, other games limit them as well....I am sure we will have DLC packs that further will add more later.

DoctorQuest

GR, does Quick Combat work basically the same way as it does in CFS3, with options for free flight, etc.? I missed that in WOFF (or at least the version that I stopped at.)
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

trek

WOFF UE does have a Free Flight option. WOTR has it too. I bought WOTR yesterday afternoon. I've been messing around with it today off and on and doing a little comparison with WOFF UE. The graphics are gorgeous and even better than WOFF UE. The water looks especially good. Also the lighting looks more natural and brighter, especially with the options set for a clear day. And no it will never be as good as BOS, COD, DCS etc., but it's still even more impressive what they've managed to do with the basis of the old CFS3 engine. And as we've all said before the atmosphere is fantastic as ever. I flew a convoy strike over the channel in a Bf109 and during the frenzied multiple plane dogfight saw a Spit and 109 take each other out with a head-on collision. Talk about going down in flames! Oh, I also sunk a couple ship transports in the channel too.

They've done a wonderful job with the detailed ground scenery. In the countryside you even see farm animals in the fields. Trains running along the rails too. I took a little free flight tour of Paris, flying by all the landmarks: Eiffel Tower, the Arc, Sacre Cour, etc. The city detail is massive, just rows and rows of buildings and boulevards. The planes look nice and crisp too. Only about four skins available in the campaign currently but I assume they will sell a skin pack like they did with WOFF. I'm wondering if the Spitfire will be free with the first patch or update or whether they will go the route of most of the other sims and sell it. Music soundtrack is excellent too as it was in WOFF.

I think for $34.99 you will certainly feel like you got your money's worth for what WOTR has to offer and what will be coming with this game in the future. Battle of France will be next and then Battle over the Reich. Maybe even a North Africa too? Very satisfied with my purchase. Nice to be able to switch around from this and BOS, DCS and all the other sims. Gives you a nice change of pace. And I like supporting the devs (OBD Software). They are unique in creating something like this.