Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August

Started by Grim.Reaper, August 22, 2018, 08:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Read an article and then also saw on Steam, looks like available before end of August....looking forward to it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/699870/Commands__Colors_Ancients/

Gusington

Wow that came out of nowhere, eh? I need to play their WWI game soon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

HoodedHorseJoe

This was supposed to come out July 27th. When that date rolled around they changed the Steam page to simply read 'August 2018'. Not much of August left now...
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

jomni

RyanE

Even if its not out, are there any opinions on how it compares to Field of Glory 1/2?  Just curious if you have one, do you need the other?

Grim.Reaper

Fair question...no idea myself but I like the ancient period and assuming its price is under $20 like the other games, I'll likely gamble on it.  But certainly doesn't seem to have as much content as FOG and I don't think it has skirmish or random type battles.

jomni

Quote from: RyanE on August 23, 2018, 07:26:32 AM
Even if its not out, are there any opinions on how it compares to Field of Glory 1/2?  Just curious if you have one, do you need the other?

I played the boardgame.  Totally different. This one is a card-based board game conversion (hence the hexes).  Not minis.  This will be fairly simpler than FOG II rules.  And very very random. You know where my vote goes (though I'm biased)

Destraex

FOG2 rules are already pretty simple if what my tester friend (not you jomni :) ) tells me.

* No fatigue he thinks - was some time ago he play tested it
* No regular or irregular troops and no formations
* Morale seems suspect - 2-3 guys routing and others seemed fine

His point was that a lot was sacrificed to make sure it was like the particular table top game they chose.

I particulary would love:
- A WEGO ancient game
- A game with GIF like animations of massive total war like formations that I could actually see! But on the FOG style map and graphics. Very clear very neat and tidy. No silly effects.
- Very realistic formations and continuous lines  - in FOG2 a phalanx looks very strange the way it turns and or is not connected to it's nerghboring hexes phalanx.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

Seems like a nice little game on the go (train etc).

HoodedHorseJoe

Looks like they finally realised what the date was. The release estimate on the Steam page has changed from 'August 2018' to 'Coming Soon'.

This probably means they're not especially confident of getting it out next month either (or otherwise just want to cover themselves a bit more), so god knows when this'll actually release now. I feel sorry for the guys at GMT.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

jomni

Quote from: WargamerJoe on August 24, 2018, 10:34:26 AM
Looks like they finally realised what the date was. The release estimate on the Steam page has changed from 'August 2018' to 'Coming Soon'.

Oh...

Thomasew

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

Philippe

This looks pretty simplistic compared to FOG II.

I must say that I've found pretty much everything Hexwar does fairly disappointing.  GMT hasn't figured out that when you do a port you're very likely to end up with the worst of both worlds.

A shame, because there are a lot of GMT games that I would love to see in digital form, but they need to be redesigned, and with Hexwar that isn't going to happen.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.