Victory at Sea - Pacific

Started by FlickJax, June 07, 2018, 04:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

So wait -- as I see in that video -- the US campaign starts on Dec. 7 '41 -- but the Japanese *already* control all of the Philippines, Wake, Guam, and it even looks like the Dutch East Indies, Singapore, etc.   At least, that's sure how it looks around the 3:15 mark.

?????

Rayfer

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 15, 2018, 08:47:00 AM
So wait -- as I see in that video -- the US campaign starts on Dec. 7 '41 -- but the Japanese *already* control all of the Philippines, Wake, Guam, and it even looks like the Dutch East Indies, Singapore, etc.   At least, that's sure how it looks around the 3:15 mark.

?????

I saw that too...not sure what to make of it. Odd.  But apart from that, the rest of the video does a good job showing the depth and scope of the game. Not so sure how it will work running real time across the entire Pacific while the player is managing a specific battle.  Could get hectic?

Ian C

RyanE

Just got a refund.  Its not a terrible game, but, to me, without historical and custom battles, it pales in comparison to the original VAS.  I'll wait and see how this goes.

RyanE

Its a good review and pretty much aligns with my thoughts.  I am refusing to reward a company for releasing a buggy and unfinished product when they could have just declared early access, give a big discount, and give themselves time to clean it up and add the content.  There is a very good game in there somewhere when its completed.

One point really frustrates me.  When you are releasing a sequel, how can it be so cocked up and missing so much from the original?  I would have thought the original would have been the starting point.

sandman2575

Quote from: RyanE on September 17, 2018, 07:55:50 PM
One point really frustrates me.  When you are releasing a sequel, how can it be so cocked up and missing so much from the original?  I would have thought the original would have been the starting point.

I agree. This is completely baffling. Aren't sequels supposed to build and improve upon the original?

Every indication is that VaS Pacific was shoved out the door way too early. With Early Access as an option, that's pretty egregious, IMO.  It makes one question just how committed the devs are to polishing and improving things. I truly hope they are in it for the long haul, because it appears that's what it's going to take to get this into solid shape.

A real shame. Pacific Theater is crying out for a good new strategy title -- especially one that hits a sweet spot between too arcadey (Battlestations: Pacific) and too overwhelming (WitP:AE).

RyanE

Another review.  This really seems to want to like it, but still trashes the state of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=482&v=cIjVJTSalKA

Jarhead0331

First patch available on beta build...

Victory at Sea Pacific: Patch 1.0.4 is on Beta

Hi everyone, now we have collated everything here is the first patch based on feedback, we plan on making this regular until we are all happy with it. I apologise to everyone where this has not met expectations, just know that this isn't some quick money garb from us, we want to make this the game we all want to play and will continue to improve, so please keep sending us your feedback as we will be tweaking and fixing beyond the bugs.

In order to play this game go into your library, right click on the name Victory At Sea Pacific and click Properties. under BETAS, select "Beta" there is no password required.

If it doesn't update right away select Properties again, local files and verify the integrity of the game.

Gameplay tweaks:

• If the target of a flight or ship's attack order is destroyed, they will keep attacking another target, instead of returning.
• Aircraft that are not their squadron's leader are shown as dots on the bridge screen.
• Increased the spread of all ship weapons and coastal guns, and reduced the accuracy of aircraft against surface targets.
• Supply convoys will try to oversupply ports if they have no alternative, rather than stay still.
• Friendly fire now does no damage.
• Ships' critical hit effects no longer escalate (resulting in suddenly exploding ships) after leaving a battle.
• Improved automatic resolution detection, and selecting a resolution on the options screen applies it immediately. Disabled aspect ratios other than 16:9 and 16:10, as these are unsupported.

Bug fixes:

• Improved landmass avoidance for ships.
• Non-player fleet markers are no longer selectable.
• The stats popup on the fleet screen is correctly positioned at higher resolutions.
• Reduced the sun glare, and fixed the midnight glow.
• Fixed an instance of ships loading with the wrong rotation.
• Correctly return squadron header to the list when failing to merge with a non-player-controllable fleet, or a fleet of a different faction.
• Supply convoys can no longer to be split.
• Upgraded anti-air weapons no longer take the place of gun turrets after loading a save.
• Swapped aircraft payloads gain the correct stats, and flights swapped to torpedo bombs no longer forget how to use them after loading a save.
• Fixed an instance of flights losing their global position.
• Fixed an instance of ships not using their guns while selected, despite the player not taking manual control.
• Added safeguards to prevent save file inflation. (broken saves should now work)
• Aircraft repair at the correct speed.
• Fixed an instance of ship's flight deck at full health being considered destroyed.
• Commodores are no longer promoted to the mysterious "Rank 9"
• Fixed aircraft flights being assigned to two airfields simultaneously.
• Crew can repair critical hits outside of combat view.
• Fixed an instance of flights readying takeoff while not in the launch queue, leaving them grounded.
• Fixed an instance of all fleets in the Pacific grinding to a halt.
• Ports take the correct amount of time to upgrade.

We will be fixing more of the strange aircraft behaviour and save/load glitches for the next patch which will be very soon.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Promising...I like the look of this one but have held off pending confirmation they plan to keep at it fixing the issues.

RyanE

They have released several patches.  The devs seem to be actively trying to fix this game.  But looking at the issues people are having after the patches, I am skeptical they will fix this to the point I would rebuy it. 

Its a shame.  They had a good game to start from and seemed to have completely scrapped starting from there.  I would say the game was released barely in an alpha state, and might make it to beta soon.

mbar

Thanks for the evaluation. Disappointing to hear though. I was looking forward to this one.

HoodedHorseJoe

Not that I doubt your observations - I haven't had a chance to check it out since launch, but I always get a kick when people say "oh it barely released in alpha".

The game is feature complete, which nearly-automatically means it's in a beta state if you look at the official definitions of software states.

I'd have agreed with you if you'd said something along the lines of "it's not out of beta" which would be accurate considering this game still needs a lot of TLC. I'm sure it'll get where it needs to be eventually though, as from my experience with the game the grounding was solid enough.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WargamerJoe on October 12, 2018, 10:27:40 AM
Not that I don't doubt your observations - I haven't had a chance to check it out since launch, but I always get a kick when people say "oh it barely released in alpha".

The game is feature complete, which nearly-automatically means it's in a beta state if you look at the definitions of software states.

I'd have agreed with you if you'd something along the lines of "it's not out of beta" which would be accurate considering this game still needs a lot of TLC. I'm sure it'll get where it needs to be eventually though, from what I could tell the grounding was solid enough.

+1 Agreed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18