Main Menu

Rule the Waves 2

Started by solops, June 05, 2018, 02:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smittyohio

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 17, 2019, 05:15:41 PM
Latest and greatest...they did revise the transfer PC to unlimited.  Looks like release may happen late tonight or even tomorrow.

That's huge.. I had zero interest in buying it with basically only 3 activations.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: smittyohio on May 18, 2019, 07:52:55 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 17, 2019, 05:15:41 PM
Latest and greatest...they did revise the transfer PC to unlimited.  Looks like release may happen late tonight or even tomorrow.

That's huge.. I had zero interest in buying it with basically only 3 activations.

Yep, its a good step.....but if you look at their forums, seems like quite a few people having issues either with the actual buying process and/or getting the DRM to work (sending emails, errors if on mac-although seems like workaround posted, questions on the process, false virus warnings, etc.).  That's the sad part about DRM, most of the forum turns into things related to DRM versus the game itself.

I am sure it will get better....

Jarhead0331

Seems like less than an auspicious release.

I'm still waiting for some kind of a discount code for owners of RTW. It seems like a lot of effort and waiting for a $5 discount. LoL
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2019, 10:01:24 AM
Seems like less than an auspicious release.

I'm still waiting for some kind of a discount code for owners of RTW. It seems like a lot of effort and waiting for a $5 discount. LoL

I purchased, still waiting on code....

ArizonaTank

I had a few DRM "moments" with it...but am good now.

My problem was that I did not use a default email system (ie. Outlook).

I had been using Yahoo mail through my browser. So when I hit the DRM button in RTW2 to autogenerate an email request for codes to NWS, I got squat. 

To make the RTW2 DRM work, I had make Outlook my default email system, and then connect it to my Yahoo account.

For someone not as familiar as I am with doing all that...I see how the DRM would be downright awful.

It took NWS about 12 hours to turn-around the email request for codes. I did not ask for the discount, too much trouble for $5.

I've had to do worse to run games...so I won't grumble too much....;)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

DennisS

I watched Das Tactics video play of this game. There were some pretty wonky things happening with his money. Instead of going up, it went down..then down another several thousand. I will watch a couple more..but I think I will sit this one out until after the first couple of patches.

Pete Dero

Tutorial (The Historical Gamer)

al_infierno

Fantastic game but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do the tactical battles properly. If there's not a clear objective to accomplish aside from "sink the enemy ships", then I find myself just drifting around trying to find enemies, until I'm told the enemy fleet left and given an inexplicable Major Defeat.

I'm loving the grand strategy layer, and mechanically I enjoy the tactical battles. Maybe I should try the 1920 starting campaign.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

DennisS

Quote from: al_infierno on May 21, 2019, 03:51:50 PM
Fantastic game but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do the tactical battles properly. If there's not a clear objective to accomplish aside from "sink the enemy ships", then I find myself just drifting around trying to find enemies, until I'm told the enemy fleet left and given an inexplicable Major Defeat.

I'm loving the grand strategy layer, and mechanically I enjoy the tactical battles. Maybe I should try the 1920 starting campaign.

I have the first version of this game. I would just go straight at the beginning of the match. MOST of the time, the game has the two fleets on a collision course, or close enough to it.

al_infierno

Quote from: DennisS on May 21, 2019, 05:26:57 PM

I have the first version of this game. I would just go straight at the beginning of the match. MOST of the time, the game has the two fleets on a collision course, or close enough to it.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.  Maybe I'm overthinking my initial tactics.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

So no updates about the game?  Anxiously awaiting your opinions.  Loved the first one but am in middle of a bunch of other games right now.

Jarhead0331

Meh. I'm passing. Have not been impressed by discussions on the game in the official forum, or the lack of a response to my request for the whopping $5.00 off coupon.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

To me RTW was all about big gun and big ship surface combat before aircraft screwed it all up. RTW2 leaves me cold. What I really want is RTW-1 improved.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

DennisS

Quote from: solops on May 31, 2019, 03:30:14 PM
To me RTW was all about big gun and big ship surface combat before aircraft screwed it all up. RTW2 leaves me cold. What I really want is RTW-1 improved.

I have watched all 14 of Tortuga's let's play on this game. He hasn't gotten to the aircraft carrier stage. To this point, it looks EXACTLY like Rule the Waves One. This is not a bad thing, it is, and has been, one of my most favorite strategy games.

But...there are some screwy things going on with the game. I won't get into them, but the game needs some balance tweaks, and a big patch.

DennisS

I purchased the game earlier this evening, and am having a blast with it.

First thing I noticed is that you CANNOT change course or speed with your "core" units for a period of time...an hour? I think the developer has attempted to fix the serious issue in the first game by essentially pointing the fleets at each other, and locking down your actions.

I have only missed two engagements out of perhaps 20 so far. I am the Japanese, and it's 1912. I have beat the snot out of the Russians once, and will do it again.

I love me some light cruisers! I have a stupid number of 3200 tons, bristling with torps and 6" guns. VERY light armor, but that's OK. They're faster than anything that can kill them.

So far, I see a nice quality of life improvements with the game. Ship combat generation makes more sense, and appears to be better linked with strategic locations. I am attempting to invade Sakhalin Island, just north of Japan, and most of our engagements are in and around this island.

Oh..and I took Sumatra! OIL!!!!! I am busy building oil fired ships, and getting rid of the coal fired ships. I am really trying to improve my machinery through research. A one-percent weight reduction, when it is starting at 13,000 tons is significant. This gets me four torps! Not that I would put torps on heavy cruisers, but still.

This is a very good strategy game. I am having a blast scrutinizing my potential enemies' *cough*russia*cough* fleets, and planning my own counter, to be used perhaps five years from now. For example, his current CL only has three 6" guns, and three 3" guns. Mine is lighter, with six 6"'ers, and a crazy number of what I call Destroyer Killers.

My first war, I built a stupid number of subs..partly because my defense minister requested me to. I got an extra 30 vp turn after turn..and this adds up.

If you're on the fence with this one. Don't be. It is a terrific and deep alternate history simulation. I am looking across the Pacific at the juggernaut which is the US...and I just can't bring myself to poke the bear. Or eagle, in this case. MAMMOTH defense budgets. Local superiority may be possible....but I would have to do it several times.

I JUST discovered heavier than air flight. I will start building seaplane tenders asap, and other CL's that I will eventually convert to CVL's. I am going "all in" on fast, light forces supporting and screening carriers. There will not be any room in my navy for battleships. Eventually, if I allow an enemy BB to shoot at one of my ships, then I messed up and got too close. Probably 15 years from the current game date of 1912.