Main Menu

WWII Online

Started by nht, October 23, 2015, 09:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nht

Participated in the "Welcome Back Soldier" promotion, after not having played WWII Online since... 2006 (I actually still have the original box from when it was called "Blitzkrieg"!).

Unfortunately, I still find the game disorienting, and the learning curve is still impossibly steep (unless, as before, you devote tons of time to squad training exercises, and stuff). The trouble is... I find that I still really want to like this game, but I'm skeptical that I'll ever be able -- or want -- to be more than a casual player (which is what basically finished my interest in WoW back in the day, too, come to think of it).

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with WWII Online over the last five years or so? Is it worth dabbling in, or does it really require as much dedication as it seems?

Staggerwing

WW2OL is very much a team or squad based game and when I had the time to devote to staying integrated with a squad the game was a blast to play. If you lone wolf it the game can be a bit confusing because the squads are usually the method used to assign missions and to pass on vital intel as to enemy actions and perceived intentions. The mission based spawning system in use now does get a player to the action faster than the old system that basically allowed you to enter the game world anywhere there was a friendly base, capture point, or forward base. Back then you might spawn in and end up spending 15 minutes walking out to a contested area just to die at first contact due to lack of intel. Same goes for the air and naval component. As far as the basic controls go, I didn't find the game difficult to play, though the operating of vehicles and use of weapons is much more realistically 'analog' than games such as WOT or the Red Orchestra related games. The big hurtle for most folks is integrating their gameplay into the mission and command system, both of which are much more structured than any other multiplayer game I've taken part in. I have not played much in the last 6-7 years due to lack of time but from late 2001 to about 2007 I spent a lot of time on WW2OL.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: nht on October 23, 2015, 09:26:49 PM
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with WWII Online over the last five years or so? Is it worth dabbling in, or does it really require as much dedication as it seems?

I played regularly from 2001-2009. Haven't looked back since, and there really hasn't been much improvement since 09-10. Sadly, this game was much better in 03-05, when the game rules/mechanics were much different. I think the developers made several, sequential poor decisions and thats how the game came to land where its at.

Yskonyn

I like the premise of the game VERY much, but I can't get over the visuals. I wish they would either try to bring that into current day spec, or a new game with this scope would be in the making. Alas.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 24, 2015, 08:19:18 AM
I like the premise of the game VERY much, but I can't get over the visuals. I wish they would either try to bring that into current day spec, or a new game with this scope would be in the making. Alas.

Yeah, it still has a ton of potential - and I think it still holds the record as the largest, continuous MMO map.

The game engine was developed in 1998. Not much work through the years. In fact, I think they're pushing it beyond what it really should be doing. Several years back they added Speedtree to the mix, and since then frame rates are in the crapper for most people, even with high-end systems.

ArizonaTank

If I had more time, I would go back to WWII online...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

Unfortunately, Cornered Rat Studios, the developers of WW2OL, probably don't have much in the way of financial resources to develop an entirely new game engine. CRS is a very small company in relation to the scope of the game itself. They probably just get by on what they take in with subscriptions. To do more would probably require a large influx of new subscribers. Even though I don't play much anymore (read: hardly ever) I still maintain my sub in an attempt to support the game's continued existence. I owe it that for giving me a much needed stress/sanity outlet during the years I played as I was going through a divorce at the time.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

nht

*sigh*

That's pretty much what I thought, alas. I'm glad they made it (marginally) easier to get into the battles -- I'll never forget one time back in 2007 or so when I was playing, and I got picked up by some guy driving a truck who was taking infantry to the front. He drove around aimlessly for maybe 10 minutes before charging directly at a tank and getting us all killed.

I don't much mind the lousy graphics, truth be told -- they're serviceable, I suppose. I'm just concerned that I'm going to be throwing money away if I subscribe and then don't have the time to devote to squads, to trainings, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

SirAndrewD

Haven't played this since 2001 and the "Phat Pipes" release catastrophe.  Wow, stunned its still around. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: nht on October 23, 2015, 09:26:49 PM
Participated in the "Welcome Back Soldier" promotion, after not having played WWII Online since... 2006 (I actually still have the original box from when it was called "Blitzkrieg"!).

Unfortunately, I still find the game disorienting, and the learning curve is still impossibly steep (unless, as before, you devote tons of time to squad training exercises, and stuff). The trouble is... I find that I still really want to like this game, but I'm skeptical that I'll ever be able -- or want -- to be more than a casual player (which is what basically finished my interest in WoW back in the day, too, come to think of it).

I played it most recently in early 2013.  My impression then was that the Germans were not as good as they used to be.  There was a time when you would get picked off a roof as soon as you stood up.  I used to do it to gauge the nearness of the attacking Germans.  I got on a roof in early 2013 and just stood there picking off scampering Germans (with an ordinary rifle, in most games I formerly could out-shoot snipers with the basic infantry rifle).  So that was sad -- the efficiency of the Germans used to be extra-ordinary.  then I hunted down and destroyed a PZIII with a Hotchkis.  That was such a beautiful half-hour that I just quit because nothing in the game was ever going to be better than that.

So, sure the game used to be pretty intense -- I flew the Hawk a lot and eventually did some serious slaughter with the Hurricane II (with 2 20mm guns -- a total killer -- especially since the 109s had learned that they could do a firing pass and then pull up and stall and let the plane pivot in midair and then make another pass -- this robotic procedure, while not very dangerous versus the Hawk, was instant death versus the Hurricane since I would just hit them with 20mm while they were flopping motionless in the sky -- not very realistic, but for once, not very good for the 109).  I would not waste any time on WWII Online these days.  CLOD pretty much fills the early war fighter space for me and I no longer have the time to get good with a rifle in an online environment these days.

ArizonaTank

September 2018. Another year...another set of 'come back' to WWII Online emails...

This time I took up Cornered Rat's offer of a free rifleman account. 

It is amazing, and somewhat comforting to see that this game is still around. 

I did a few hours running around as a French "poilu."  It was a little frustrating when the spawn point was camped by some German tanks and infantry, but I just changed battle areas, and problem solved. 

One very nice thing, was that the players were very friendly, and I saw none of idiot behavior that has ruined so many other MMOs for me...

As far as I can tell, graphics and gameplay have changed very little. Sure there are new toys...and I am certain folks who play the game regularly could write a tome about what has improved and changes...but IMHO the basic flow of the game seems the same as it did when I first played in 2002.

I very much appreciate that the game is not a frenetic twitch jockey experience...with players bouncing around like rabbits so they are harder to hit. 

More than 10 years ago...back in my youth...;) when I did a little writing for ACG...I did a nostalgic visit and review (heck, the game was old then). After all this time, the game still feels the same. Frankly there is something "nice" about that.

http://armchairgeneral.com/battleground-europe-revisited.htm 

But at the end of the day...I probably won't go back to WWII Online...except as an occasional tourist. 

The reason has more to do with me...MMOs just don't do much for me anymore.

If I am going to put time into a first person shooter experience, I will look for one that allows for a unit based campaign...Arma or Mount and Blade-like...and then there is VR

So when WWII online sends me an email that says they support VR, and they will give me a squad of bots to command, I would definately pony up the monthly subscription... 

But something tells me...in another 10 years I will just be copying, pasting then posting this message again... And as a guy who loves computer wargames...that is not a bad thought at all...

So here is wishing WWII Online all the best!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jomni

What's with all this WW2 shooter threads?  :uglystupid2:

southern_cross_116

Had no idea that was even still around - I was one of the first group of pre-release beta testers (maybe 1999 or 2000 iirc) - back when they would call a load test and get like 7 guys logging on at the same time.

I did some other stuff there too... heck I did stuff for ACG too...  happy enough where I landed in the gaming world. ;)
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

Geezer

I also took another look at this one recently after 8 years off.  Didn't look like there were many players online during the times I played.  I was still in my old squad, 644th Wild Boars, but there were never more than one or two guys playing.  Pretty sure I was killed at least twice by guys hacking as I was prone in cover and was dead before I could even raise my rifle to shoot, both times to enemies who came around a corner and immediately zeroed in on me.  I might come back if they ever figure out a way to stop the cheaters.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Michael Dorosh

I remember seeing a boxed version of this for sale in a PC game store, when we still had PC game stores. Never tried it. Funny to see the name come up again, what's old keeps becoming new again.