Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Yep
Dev "ok....we will sell you this plane, but it is not complete...a lot of stuff missing and several bugs"
Customer "I'll take it"

3 hours later

Customer "this is BS man...this plane is incomplete and there's all these little bugs"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Well, it's perfectly flyable and in Alpha - I don't understand what people want. Not only is it flyable, but there are 4 missions with it and some weapon deployment.

Worth an early entry imo
Alba gu' brath

Redwolf

Quote from: Destraex on October 05, 2019, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: trek on October 04, 2019, 01:55:07 PM
What's the verdict on flying the F-16? I've got it but I'm busy playing CCTBF and UA: Dreadnoughts right now so I haven't had a chance to play any DCS. How's it compare to say the Hornet?

I am in the same boat. However I also need a nee joystick.
I see on facebook that some people are rather negative about the early state of the F16. So take your time.

I see that usually not about random leftover "work in progress items", but about items where the company developed the product in a direction that the complainer doesn't agree with. Which might or might not be reasonable depending on what the vendor said the thing will do. So it usually is more about items that are actually finished-ish.

My new toy is the F-15.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2019, 06:35:18 AM
Anytime, JD. Very glad you got it working and thrilled to have another convert to the DCS VR world. One of the most important settings for VR in DCS is pixel density. The higher you set it, the clearer the image, but the more taxing it is on your system. I usually keep mine between 1.5 and 2.0. Now that I have a 2080ti, I'm going to try to push the limits. You can sometimes compensate for the drop in FPS, by lowering shadows, turning off msaa, etc.

In any event, sounds like you're already having a positive experience, so it can only get better from where you are. Enjoy!
I've just seen this - thanks JH.

I didn't have much time in DCS VR because the F16 came out and I wanted to jump right in - and I haven't looked at "moving" controls from the keyboard to my stick and learning a cockpit enough to use it clickable. But I will get to it.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
JD...check this out:

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/15/rift-s-setup-in-dcs/
And again - I didn't see this. Thanks. I'll give it a look over the next few days. I need to get my controls setup before I go jumping fully into VR - but I honestly can't wait because the experience of speed and "being there" was just unparalleled
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Quote from: Redwolf on October 06, 2019, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Destraex on October 05, 2019, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: trek on October 04, 2019, 01:55:07 PM

My new toy is the F-15.

I learned on the AV-8; but for the last month I have been flying the F-18 exclusively. I never found the F-18 to  be as "sexy" as an F-15 or F-16. So as soon as the F-16 came out, I grabbed it and will be flying that as soon as I can.

I REALLY want a high-fidelity F-15c model....the FC3 version just doesn't do it for me. If DCS came out with a high-fidelity version, I think I'd never fly anything else unless I really wanted to drop things on other things. Not much hope of that, but I understand that DCS is planning a high fidelity F-15E (might be next)...so that might do nicely
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Didn't the F-15 get some kind of flight model update some time back?
I recall it was (is?) even available as a seperate aircraft for those who didn't own FC3 yet. IIRC its not professional flight model (like the F-18 and the likes), but still a significant upgrade from its FC3 roots.
However if you're used to the Hornet then I can really understand why the F-15 feels more arcade.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Yes, the "Flaming Cliffs 3" F-15 does come with a separate install model (like all the FC3 crafts) which can be used in DCS World per se. (Which is a little confusing.)

I gather the FC3 F-15 has one of the best fan-made campaigns in the game, however! I forget what it's called, but it's set on the Georgia map, heavily researched on the historical invasion of Georgia, with the fictional inclusion of a pair of F-15s and pilots who were sent to demonstrate the frames for sale to Georgia and get caught up in the invasion.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I would describe the FC3 aircraft as "enhanced" over their initial release state, but they are far from having the fidelity of the individually focused modules that have come since FC3 was released. Furthermore, their cockpits are not interactive, and this, in and of itself, is a major detractor from the experience these aircraft provide.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 07, 2019, 10:57:27 AM
I would describe the FC3 aircraft as "enhanced" over their initial release state, but they are far from having the fidelity of the individually focused modules that have come since FC3 was released. Furthermore, their cockpits are not interactive, and this, in and of itself, is a major detractor from the experience these aircraft provide.
Particularly for VR  O0 ;) :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

Destraex

For those interested in DCS, this interview with Matt Wagner is really worth a read. There is a tonne of information about future plans for DCS in it. The wwII plans were especially exciting. The new ww2 damage model is already being tested on a particular server apparently. Torpedoes have been mentioned as another mechanic in development for torpedo carrying aircraft. Two new ww2 maps are still being mentioned. One of those maps being suitable for the current ww2 stable. I reckon this will be the reich. What else could it be with the JUG, Mosquito and the 262 planned? I am impressed that ww2 was an initiative by the Eagle Dynamics founder. This boads well for ww2 fans.
The new cloud systems look amazing as well as does the sound of a falcon style dynamic campaign in the works.
I also loved that one thing they are working on is aircraft visibility. This is a pet peeve of mine in most flight sims. Currently you can set aircraft to appear larger at distances than they should in game. But I think most servers just turn on labels instead?
They are working on a mystery modern jet as well. Apparently it is much loved but not thr a6.
The phantom seems a long way off right now. They say they are defo doing it still though. The cobra also seems a very long way off.
https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Wow!  Mosquito in 2020!  Crazy!!!

Here's a WWII Liberty Ship being hit by some modern antiship missiles.  The damage model seemed to work and the ship sank:

Destraex

The damage model is as you are probably aware. Pretty specific to ww2 aircraft being damaged in detail by bullets and having things fall off. They needed to build a more prop oriented model that allowed more specific targeting of components.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on October 19, 2019, 08:33:27 PM
The damage model is as you are probably aware. Pretty specific to ww2 aircraft being damaged in detail by bullets and having things fall off. They needed to build a more prop oriented model that allowed more specific targeting of components.

In ways  the WWII damage models seem to work reasonably well.  Perhaps better than for planes like the Fritter that only appear in Flaming cliffs form.