Fear God & Dread Nought/Admiralty series

Started by ab5000, June 18, 2012, 06:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab5000

Does anyone play?  And how are the components do all the modules include counters (I can't handle the minis thing).  Just curious.

LongBlade

Quote from: ab5000 on June 18, 2012, 06:58:18 PM
Does anyone play?  And how are the components do all the modules include counters (I can't handle the minis thing).  Just curious.

I have it. Flipped through the rules. Liked what I saw. Figured I needed to annex the cul-de-sac to have a properly large gaming area for minis.

Never played it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MengJiao

Quote from: ab5000 on June 18, 2012, 06:58:18 PM

I play.  Not all modules have counters, but you can use the ships from the Avalanche naval games.

The counters have evolved (or at least changed a lot) from say Harpoon 3, though Harpoon 4.1.1.  The latest incarnations of the 3 games starting with FG&DN are fairly similar counterwise (I mean FG&DN, High Tide (Harpoon 4.1.1 so to speak), and Atlantic Navies).
I put the counters on Flying Colors hex maps which gives you 30 degree directional resolution without using protractors and vary the scale from .5 nm to the hex to 3 nm.  I play solo so the complexity of the rules provides its own surprises and I have confusion rolls when orders have to be sent and recieved and acted on in less than 3 minutes.

Recent scenarios I have run have included:

1) Dunkerque sinks Scharnhorst in 1939 (Hypothetical) Command at Sea 4.0
2) Russian DD sinks missile boat but then gets blown up in 1974 off Eretria (Hypothetical)  Harpoon 4.1.1
3) Edgar Quinet sinks some other Armored Cruiser in 1911 (Hypothetical) FG&DN