Main Menu

3D Printers

Started by Jarhead0331, August 06, 2018, 07:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Does anybody here have a 3D printer, or at least worked with one? I've always been interested in the technology, and at various times, had planned on getting a fairly low budget one to tinker with. However, I never really researched the technology enough to make a reasoned decision.

I think I'm finally ready to make the jump and I've done a lot of research. I've narrowed it down to two or three models, but I'm having a lot of trouble making the final decision. The technology is so new and really, experimental, that I recognize that no matter which machine I get, I'm taking a chance...

So far, I'm looking very closely at the Dremel 3D45, the Craftbot3 or the Prusa Mk3. My budget is $1000 to $2000. The zmorph vx has also caught my eye. It's a 3D printer, CNC mill and laser engraver, but with all the tool heads included, it's $4000! Way more than I want to spend for my first printer, but it can do so much more...

I guess I'm just looking for some experiences and impressions with this technology overall.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Jarhead0331

I finally got one. Just couldn't wait anymore...decision on which one to get was not getting easier. The technology blows me away, but the machines are very complex, require real technical know-how and are anything but user friendly. Still, I'm learning a lot very quickly.

I've gone from printing very simply 20 minutes objects to extremely detailed 13 hour prints.

Very cool stuff.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Total print time...13h 58m. Nearly flawless. Just need to sand off some of the remaining support filament. I'm blown away by this technology. Seeing it in action is amazing.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

Thanks, Budd! Definitely going to check that out...here are some of my latest multi-part builds.

T-72b

This.Is.Sparta!

HMS Josef Prusa  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

-budd-

Nice, can you reuse the plastic if you don't like the outcome? or is it a one shot deal.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: -budd- on September 07, 2020, 01:29:41 PM
Nice, can you reuse the plastic if you don't like the outcome? or is it a one shot deal.

No reusing. If it comes out bad, it goes into the garbage, but standard filament is pretty cheap.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Working on a 1:1 replica of a Glock 17. Its a functional toy. Will not fire live rounds. Still need to file off a bunch of the support material.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

It's been awhile since I've posted anything about this hobby. Has anybody else picked it up?

I just bought my first resin printer, which is capable of producing very detailed minis and models. I've been holding off because it can be messy and pretty toxic, but I think I'm ready to give it a shot.

Printer arrives tomorrow!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog