Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malize

Populist faction will distribute 4 to each senator (giving both of them 5) and each will buy a knight

The remaining talent will go in the secret faction purse

Erax

Quote from: Ethel the Frog on October 03, 2018, 08:35:09 PM
Apparently, we all need to announce whether we are playing (or trading or discarding) any cards.  I am not playing (or trading or discarding) any cards.

Same goes for the Progressives.

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2018, 07:35:06 PM

Militarists: 0 starting cash, +2 from personal treasuries, +3 +1 income from senators, +1 from knights = 7 Talents. Distribute cash to senators; and declare any contributions from them to Rome.

Manlius will get 5 talents and spend it on a knight.  Julius will take two talents
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on October 04, 2018, 04:21:15 AM
Quote from: Ethel the Frog on October 03, 2018, 08:35:09 PM
Apparently, we all need to announce whether we are playing (or trading or discarding) any cards.  I am not playing (or trading or discarding) any cards.

Same goes for the Progressives.

:o ...uh, you already told me to play one of your cards, and where: Tax Concession 2.

Quote from: Erax on October 03, 2018, 06:59:04 PM
Before the Revolution Phase ends, I'll play a Tax Concession card on Plautius.

And I triggered it as part of your Revenue.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Erax

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 04, 2018, 07:17:56 AM
:o ...uh, you already told me to play one of your cards, and where: Tax Concession 2.

And I triggered it as part of your Revenue.

I thought you'd done that retroactively as part of last turn, sorry! In any event I won't play any more cards this turn.

JasonPratt

The confusion is understandable. The Frog was backposting from the Revolution Phase and catching up, so that's why he was clarifying he wasn't playing anything. (Which I happened to know already, which is why I had gone onward into Turn Two.)

No one can play any Faction cards right now, although I did retroactively play your Concession which I knew you'd want to do and was holding open the opportunity as asynchronous lag when I moved the clock forward (since that wasn't going to hurt anything).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

IncompetentIdiot

5 to Cornelius, 2 each to Cincinnatus and Valerius.

JasonPratt

I'm home from work, and working on updating.

At this point I think I'm only missing AzTank's distribution choice: your new tally is 9 Talents in your Faction Treasury, which you can spread back among your Treasury and your senators as you wish.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Got it; I'll port those in when I get home this afternoon.

I implemented everyone else's distributions last night, including a slight revision requested by the Frog (now 12 for Appius and 2 for Fulvius, so that each will have 2 after Appius donates to the Republic, which I also implemented); and since no one has yet agreed to Erax's contract proposal, I split the Progressive distribution along his first option of 5/5.

Next up, I'll be running the 3rd segment of the Revenue Phase automatically where I'll be resolving income and expenses for the Republic. Theoretically everyone could lose the game here, but (1) I think on the balance the Republic will have a nice increase this turn (partly thanks to responsible generosity from the Plutocrats, go team!  :clap: ), and (2) the Plutocrats still hold the HRAO (with Appius present as Roman Consul), so even if expenses did trigger below 0 somehow, the Senate would survive.

Once I've reported the results on that, I'll discard all currently active Events fro the Forum, and we'll start the Forum Phase. (But I'll keep the Agrarian Event marked off to the side with a Land Bill 1 marker, for a few turns, as a reminder for reasons I'll explain again in a minute.)

To recap for anyone still unfamiliar with the game, each player will take a round around the table, starting with the Frog's Plutocrats (as the HRAO player), rolling dice to see whether you generate a Random Event, or whether you pull the next Scenario card from the deck; and, if so, whether it's a red-text "Faction" card, which you'll get to keep secret face-down (but I'll p-mail you to tell you about it, and when you'll be able to play it), or whether it's a black-text "Forum" card, which gets played publicly face-up to the Forum.

I can tell you that there are no more families left in the Latin Era to activate this way -- if anyone else joins the game, I'll be pulling the first such families available from the Italian Era now. So aside from Acilius hanging out in the Forum, waiting to see if anyone has enough influence and/or cash to persuade him to join, the current players won't have any more opportunities to pick up Senator families for a while. Whether there are still any pre-Early Statesmen to turn up and play, remains to be seen.

Y'all have preemptively dealt with two more of the coming historical Events, too: the Plebian Secessions. Those would normally generate or stack Drought effects, but thanks to your first Land Bill coming so early, those droughts will be avoided. (Historically of course it's the other way around, the droughts induced a "plebian" faction to camp out on one of Rome's first two hills, the Aventine if I recall correctly, as a protest. This eventually inspired all non-patrician citizens to be called plebians.) So whenever those get drawn in our track through Republican history -- and they will before we're out of the Latin Era -- then I'll simply announce them, and discard them with a reminder for why you don't have to worry about them anymore. And then once both of them are toast, then I'll discard my Agrarian Unrest reminder, too.

I have pondered whether to just remove the two Secession Events (really Drought Events) from the Scenario deck since they're going to be voided now anyway, thus speeding up the history of the game a little more, but... well, y'all might be glad if something is only a voided Drought! The Republic has parried attempts by some rival towns in Latium from taking back Rome (and its nearby allied cities like the Ostia port) for the kingship of Tarquinius, but there are other neighbors agitating nearby in the hills and vales of central Italy, and a big historical disaster in the portents (which those familiar with early Republican history can probably guess at)!

The birthing pangs of the Republic have only just begun.

{goes next to the internet to find a WH40K "prepare thyselves" meme}{the internet somehow fails me!}{faith in internet decreases  #:-) }

Erax

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

Third segment, Republic income report:

Treasury starts with 36 Talents,
+30 base income = 66,
-0 no Active War
-20 Land Bill Type 1 (now paid off, goes away) = 46,
(1 Legion x 2 Talents=) -2 unit upkeep = 44,
+25 Talents donated from Allied Enthusiasm Event =

69 Talents new total.  :bd: <:-)

You may thank the Frog's Plutocrats for 10 of that!

All Events in the Forum deactivate. (I'm keeping Agrarian Unrest off to the side to remind me to void the Pleb Succs Events when they arrive. ;) )

JasonPratt

TURN TWO -- FORUM PHASE
--------------------------------

The Frog's Plutocrats are up to bat first. He rolls a 9, so doesn't crap out a random Event. He burns the 494 BCE Plebian Secession out of the deck! -- no drought, thanks to the Senate's foresighted Land Bill policies.  :clap:

The Frog should now choose any or all of the following options, in any order.

1.) Declare a new Faction Leader. Currently it's Appius Claudius. Fulvius would be his only other option currently.

2.) Choose a senator to try to persuade a knight to join that senator as his minion. Claudius has 2 knights, Fulvius 0. Each has 2 Talents, so either one has a 3:6 chance or 50/50 maximum chance, if all Talents are spent on the persuasion.

3.) Try to persuade Acilius, the family Senator hanging out in the Forum unattached, to join the Plutocrats. Appius Claudius would be the best bet for this attempt. The Frog will need to roll Ora 5 + Inf 9 - Loy 7 = 7 or less on a 2d6, which is a dang good 50/50 shot totally for free. You can bump that up to rolling 9 or less by adding Appius' 2 Talents.

If you do decide to try, the Aristocrats (with 4 Talents), the Conservatives (with 1), and/or the Populists (ditto), could try a counter-bribe against you. If they do, you'll have one chance to add any more Talents from Appius. (Not from your Faction Treasury, but you have 0 remaining anyway.)

Of course, Acilius will keep any such donated money in any case, making him that much harder to Persuade in the future -- but then again, if he joins you then you get control of all his Personal Treasury, too!

Ethel the Frog

1) I will keep the same faction leader.
2) Fulvius will spend 2 talents to try and get a Knight.
3) Appius will spend 2 talents to make that a 9, unless others decide to spend me down.  I assume that, if people decide to pay to lower my chances, then that is money they can't spend to raise their own chances later in the turn if I fail.