What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Can't go wrong with either.  The Other Battle deals exclusively with the night bombing campaign and does a better job of presenting a complete picture from both sides.  Instruments of Darkness is more narrowly focussed on electronic warfare.  The vast majority of the book centres on the bombing campaign but portions do look at other areas of the war as well as briefly touching on post WWII developments.

BanzaiCat

On my 20-hour drive yesterday, I got through the unabridged Aliens audiobook and got through about eight chapters of Antony Beevor's Berlin audiobook (again, unabridged).

The reader of the Beevor book was fairly dry but the subject matter was great and really helped me stay awake. I've read that book at least three times already but hey, audiobook! (His Stalingrad book is great too - I've listened to the unabridged audiobook for that on long car trips too.)

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

Just finished Germany Ascendant, the second book by Prit Buttar's four book series on WWI's Eastern Front. 

Good read.  If you're not familiar with the Eastern Front during WWI, outside of Tannerberg, this series will giev you a good over view.

Time to move on to Russia's Last Grasp. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

I read the four book series last year and loved it.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

I found Marcus Aurelius's Meditations for four bucks on a Prime deal yesterday, so I grabbed it and Beevor's Stalingrad. I listened to the audio book version of the latter years ago but never read the book itself. Both actual spine-and-paper books. I'm so used to my Kindle Paperwhite that it'll be nice to have a real book in my hands to read.

Gusington

Beevor's Stalingrad is one of my favorite books ever, right up there with Dreadnaught by Robert Massie.

I am currently reading The Fifth Ward by Dale Lucas.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

^ O0

I just bought a copy of Ryan's A Bridge Too Far and Clark's Barbarossa: The Russo-German Conflict, 1941-1945. I've read that latter one before, when I was a teen.

Gusington

I thought I read Clark in college. The Eastern Front is always interesting to me - hard for me to find a book on it I don't like...for WWI and WWII.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Since I've been playing Pavlov's House, I've rekindled my interest in Stalingrad. I've found some videos on YouTube posted by locals digging around the area and it amazes me that they find, 75+ years later, all kinds of artifacts at ground level or just a bit under the surface.

Gusington

Biggest battle in the history of the world with millions engaged on both sides is going to leave a mark.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

It still boggles the mind. I'd love to take one of the tours there, someday.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

http://www.stalingradtours.com/

https://www.theculturalexperience.com/tours/russia-1941-1943-battlefield-tour/

...plus many, many others, just from a preliminary Google search.

There's others that will do Stalingrad as part of a larger tour, including Kharkov/Kursk, Moscow, and the like: http://www.threewhales.ru/t7.htm

These guys do all kinds all over Europe: http://www.alpventures.com/russia.html

airboy

I just finished "The Black Chamber" by SM Stirling.

This was a very gripping alt-history military espionage story.  The change point is President Taft dies of a heart attack while running for reelection.  Teddy Roosevelt beats Wilson and gears the USA rapidly up for war with Germany.

Stirling comes up with a plausible way the Germans could have won WW1 in 1916.  The plot is really nasty, but the antoganists have strong positive qualities.  The opponents are not cardboard villians.  Most of the story revolves around a female spy in Teddy's intelligence operation.

I really enjoyed the book and had difficulty putting it down.  I like well written alt-histories and this was the best one Stirling has written since the Peshwar Lancers.