Main Menu

Cogmind

Started by spelk, October 25, 2017, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Cogmind is now out on Steam (Early Access)

I did a thing, probably a bit too gushy..

http://www.ascii-curious.com/2017/10/cogent-mind.html

If you like yourself some mechs, it might be worth having a look-see at this mech-building roguelike.

bbmike

Did I wake up in the 1980s again?  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Seriously...why? Just why? AND $20, no less!?!?!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Greybriar

Cogmind reminds me a little of Larn:

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

spelk

spelk

Quote from: bbmike on October 25, 2017, 04:36:21 PM
Did I wake up in the 1980s again?  :-"

Heh, back to the future past!

spelk

I mistakenly thought it would find some traction here, since its a build your bot/mech turn based tactical survival game.

I suppose niche within a niche might be a step too far.

Ah well, just trying to broaden horizons...

How about some of this?

http://www.armouredcommander.com/

Jarhead0331

The concept is great. No question. And I appreciate retro. I have countless 8 bit or pixel games. But this is just archaic. Graphically, it does absolutely nothing for me and is just too prehistoric....I mean explosions of letters and symbols? Just can't do it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

spelk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2017, 05:27:55 AM
The concept is great. No question. And I appreciate retro. I have countless 8 bit or pixel games. But this is just archaic. Graphically, it does absolutely nothing for me and is just too prehistoric....I mean explosions of letters and symbols? Just can't do it.

Thats fair enough, Jarhead. The game does have graphical tiles - its not all ASCII - you can switch between modes. But if the look and feel doesn't click with you, then the intricacies of the mechanics aren't going to draw you in, no matter how good they are.
"One mans meat is another mans poison" kinda thing.

The management of your bot/mech in the game really does mirror a kind of mechwarrior/battletech setup with weight/heat/power balances and custom tech utilities for scanning for enemies, secret doors & ways out, hacking consoles to craft kit from blueprints etc.. it's really well done and doesn't have the levelling up, XP for kills trope that most roguelikes follow.

I'm a niche game advocate, that's why I'm here. I'm just trying to spread some more niche about :)

Jarhead0331

I definitely am A supporter of niche indie games too. I'm glad you posted about this. Sorry if I came across as dismissive initially.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

spelk

Greybriar

Thanks for the link, spellk. O0 I may give XLarn a try someday [but I doubt it--I have too many games on my To-Play List already].
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

spelk

necromancy....

Just as an update, the dev of Cogmind took part in this years 7DRL (7-day Roguelike challenge) and has submitted a game streamlined from the Cogmind engine, but with a much smaller scope and faster play.

It's called POLYBOT-7
https://kyzrati.itch.io/polybot-7

It's FREE and you can give it a spin and get some of what makes Cogmind great, even if you can't stomach the graphics.

FarAway Sooner

So, spelk, you're saying that you have a niche you're trying to scratch?

spelk

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 17, 2018, 10:35:59 AM
So, spelk, you're saying that you have a niche you're trying to scratch?

I'm saying I have a condition that has covered my body in niches and they all demand my scratting attention. ;)

Luckily when the agitation gets bad enough, I can relieve it by extolling the virtues of having this fascinating irritation to other niche communities I hold in high regard! :)