Uncommon Valor on Win10?

Started by Toonces, April 23, 2019, 10:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

All of this talk of old school WW2 carrier warfare has me hankering for Uncommon Valor again.

I Google searched and looked on Matrix's forums, but I can't find a definitive yes/no answer.

Does Uncommon Valor work on Win10?  I need to know before I buy it again...I gave my copy away a long time ago to Frontier Cybrarian.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

gabeeg

I just reinstalled it for giggles and there are a couple of things.  First I had graphics anomalies until I set it to XP sp3 compatibility mode.  That is the only setting I tried, Windows 7 mode or others may work as well.  Some of the graphics in the intro and config screen would not refresh and leave parts behind.   The bigger problem I ran into was once it was running is there was a highly irritating click lag.   Not sure of the cause...could be it does not like multi-core processors...or windows 10...or the latest Nvidia drivers...not sure.  I know that WitPAE could have some issues with multi-cores (and there was an .ini line you could add/edit to make it use just one cpu core).  Anyway...it works but with caveats...your mileage may vary though.  I am sure if you search the forums over at Matrix there are probably solutions.
Kind Regards,
Harry

Rayfer

Quote from: gabeeg on April 23, 2019, 11:25:24 PM
I just reinstalled it for giggles and there are a couple of things.  First I had graphics anomalies until I set it to XP sp3 compatibility mode.  That is the only setting I tried, Windows 7 mode or others may work as well.  Some of the graphics in the intro and config screen would not refresh and leave parts behind.   The bigger problem I ran into was once it was running is there was a highly irritating click lag.   Not sure of the cause...could be it does not like multi-core processors...or windows 10...or the latest Nvidia drivers...not sure.  I know that WitPAE could have some issues with multi-cores (and there was an .ini line you could add/edit to make it use just one cpu core).  Anyway...it works but with caveats...your mileage may vary though.  I am sure if you search the forums over at Matrix there are probably solutions.

I had the same click-delay issue with Uncommon Valor using Windows 10 and researched it on the Matrix forums.  Came up with a 'there is no fix' reply.  I had the same issue with WitP:AE but there was a fix and it worked. It apparently is quite common. I don't remember the exact fix but it had to do with some changes to the .exe file. It was easy to do. I'm not very computer literate but I had no problem with the WitP:AE fix. But for some reason the same fix doesn't work of UV.

mbar

The lag on the map has been a problem since Windows 8. If you still really want to buy again, see this thread for a work around. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3912371

planetbrain

Runs beautifully for me on Win10 64 @ 1920x1080 when using freeware DXWnd:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/
I believe these are the only changes I made & there is no lag:
Mostly harmless

planetbrain

Oops! Seems I don't know how/am not allowed to upload a pic. It seems to be only visible to me when logged in.
Oh well, it's not too hard to use DXWnd & ,as I say, it works well for UV & several other games. Worth a try.
Mostly harmless

Moreb

Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't War in the Pacific contain an updated scenario for the Solomons? Would it not be better to try this or is the scale all wrong?

UV was my first Matrix title and their download and play was an awesome change to the way things had worked before. I wish I had the fortitude to really get into WiP but I am hamstrung by a lack of knowledge on the Pacific and the logistics of it all.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Staggerwing

Somewhere in my physical games hoard I actually have a boxed version of UV I purchased at Electronics Boutique back in the early aughts. I'm tempted to form a search party and try to locate it so I can see if it will run on my Gigabyte ittybittyformfactorWindowbox ten.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

^ Yeah, same here.  I gave the physical copy away a long time ago because vanilla WiTP had a Solomons scenario, so I thought I'd never play UV again.

Now...I think my WitP vanilla is also hard copy and who know where that is, and there is no comparable scenario in AE.  Also, UV has smaller hexes, 30nm vs. 60nm so the scale is more tactical in nature.

UV 30% off is about $14 so it might be worth a gamble to see if that fix works.  On the other hand, I'm not sure I can be bothered.  The feedback here is about the same as I took from the Matrix forums, ie. it will work with some workarounds on the user's part...sort of.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Why don't you grab a surplus Dell SFF Optiplex with 98 or XP from one of those overstock sites and keep it for 90's-early aughts games? Throw in a 1/2 height vid card and you have a great little retro game box.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys