Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IncompetentIdiot

JasonPratt

Whew! I've been gone basically all day on Fathers Day Weekend Things!

Will try to continue processing tonight, but I need a nap first.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

The continuation of Fathers Day Weekendy Things.... um.... continues! For some time of continuance!  :D

i.e. back to processing this afternoon or tonight, but depending on various factors it might be tomorrow afternoon.

I appreciate all patience! -- I'll should be back on the horse no later than that (Theos willing and the Rubicon don't rise). ;)

If anyone wants to nail down some numbers, since the Frog intends to Raise back the final two logistic Legions, for Recall and Deployment to the various fronts, be my guest. (I think Erax has done so already upthread, but a summary will not be rejected!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Erax

Busy day today, I'll work on an updated proposal if I can.

JasonPratt

I know the feeling!

8.2) The Aristocrats get Tax Farming 5. I.I. will have to declare who he's giving it to: Cornelius, Quinctius, or Valerius (who already has the Harbor Fees Concession).

8.3) The Progressives get the Land Commissioner Concession (again). Erax will have to declare who he's giving it to. (Flam has ship building; Plautius has a couple of Tax Farmings.)

JasonPratt

Having double-checked the rules, while units cannot be Recalled the same turn they are Deployed; there doesn't seem to be any bar to Deploying units already Recalled to Rome this Turn. Therefore...

9.1) Roman Consul Cornelius Proposes the Recall of all units currently Deployed against the Lusitanian War.

9.2) All Contracted players vote in favor. (This is assumed to be part of the Contracted attempt at balancing force deployments against all three wars, including by sending Manlius to Hispania Citerior as Military governor to fight the War from that staging area. There is no downside to consolidating units back in Rome before redeployment.)

9.3) All Deployed units now return to the Active Pool in Rome.

JasonPratt

Relatedly, per the Frog's prior instructions:

10.1) The Consul Proposes the Raising of the 12th and 15th Legions (the final two logistically available). This will cost 20 of the Republic's 88 Talents.

This wasn't part of the Contract, so a vote will have to be called normally. Cornelius will allow voting in any order. (Note that this is separate from the question of whether to bleed cash for adding another Reform to Veteran Training; which might be affected by Raising these Legions. But only one other player seemed interested in that, so I'm provisionally judging the matter mooted for now, to be revisited in future Turns perhaps, and moving along.)

IncompetentIdiot

Concession to Quinctius. I'll vote for the raising of more legions.

malize

JasonPratt

Between you two and the Frog, that's a 23 point vote majority, even accounting for potential activist votes of the Conservatives and Progressives! (Although Erax may want to vote against it anyway as a show of principle, and harvest a couple of influence points. ;) )

I've processed them back to Active duty, and I've added the 4 Talents to Aurelius for the Armaments Concession. Also Republic cash down 20 to 68.

(Tax Farming 5 to Quinctius as instructed.)

I'll pause at this point for some considerations on how best to spread out the units, since that seems to be all that remains?

Strictly speaking, the order of Deployment will need to be: (1) Garrison Legions Deployed to Hispania Citerior under command of Governor Manlius; (2) Field Consul PaulMac Deployed with Legions (and logistic fleet support as necessary) to the 2nd MacWar; and then (3) Roman Consul Cornelius Deployed with Legions (and logistic fleet etc. ;) ) to the 2nd IllWar.

Tripoli

To the record I vote in favor of raising the two legions
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Erax

I don't get to farm influence because the legion vote doesn't advance any senator. Concession to Flaminius.

JasonPratt

Okay I've done some calcs for recommendations. PEOPLE WHO ARE BETTER THAN I AM AT MATH SHOULD CHECK THESE!  :buck2:

2ndMacWar needs to be the priority this turn, due to superior spoils and availability of PaulMac to nix D/S results.

2ndMacWar: 18 (flawless victory) +10 (enemy strength) -3 (minimum combat roll) = 25 power plus PaulMac (to nix D/S risks) needed for safe victory.

25 power needed; -5 PaulMac Mil; -18 (all 9 Vet Legions x 2) = 2 Regulars needed.

This leaves 14 Regulars. (25 total legions -9 vets -2 regulars.)

Lusitanian War needs to be 2nd priority because it's attacking actual territory otherwise, and will kill a senator (Manlius).

LusiWar: 18 (flawless victory) +6 (enemy strength) -9 (Manlius Mil skill) -1 (HispCit inherent landpower) -1 (HispCit militia fighting at full strength with Garrison) -3 (minimum combat roll) = 10 Legions needed. The Republic has 14; that leaves 4 Active in reserve.

2nd Illyrian War: 18 (flawless victory) +4 (enemy strength) -2 (Claudius Mil) -3 (minimum roll) = 17 Legions needed. Only 4 in reserve.

Conclusion 1: For guaranteed flawless victory (aside from D/S risk) on Lusi and 2ndMac Wars, don't send Claudius out vs 2ndIll.

17 Legions (needed for flawless 2ndIll Victory) -4 (difference between 18 flawless victory and 14 minimum victory result) = 13 Legions needed; 4 in current reserve.

Shifting net equivalent of 9 total regulars from other wars would keep Victories certain (bar D/S) now with possible casualties, and one minimum chance of 0 casualty stalemate somewhere. This would provide Claud with 13 Legions. (Or he could take 12 and the minimum stalemate risk.)

Conclusion 2: Defeat and Stalemate can be (almost entirely) eliminated from all Wars, with possible casualties remaining, and D/S risks remaining on two wars:
13 Legionpower at 2nd IllWar;
5 Legionpower at LusiWar (10 from Conclusion 1, minus 5 for Conclusion 2, leaving more Legions under PaulMac to be protected from D/S risk and casualty risk);
16 Legionpower at PaulMac (20 power -4).

This assumes LusiWar (which has no Spoils) would be the minimum Stalemate risk. A Legion could be shifted there from either other War, I think, to shift the Stalemate risk around.

It's also possible to shift Legions around on this plan to pack as many as possible under the umbrella of PaulMac's D/S protection (and consequent no-casualty risk), at the cost of slightly increasing Stalemate results elsewhere.

Remember, it's important to keep at least 1 Regular at the MacWar (to level up to Vet); so if you go with Conclusion 2 strategy, Deploy accordingly.

JasonPratt

Edited: fixed my math (I think) in the prior Conclusions.