HARD WEST (Turn-Based Game on the Old West) On Sale!

Started by trek, June 15, 2017, 07:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek

Just got this one on sale on Steam. It's currently on sale for 75% off at $4.99 (full price $19.99). It's turn-based ala XCOM. Good-looking game with a good story and production values and a Red Dead and Spaghetti Western vibe. Due to user demand they've just added a save game feature which previously it did not have. Search it on YouTube and watch some gameplay before taking the plunge if you need to but I can tell you that for the price it's a steal and you'll enjoy it if turn-based is your thing.

joram

I kickstarted this game.   It's a good game with down innovative mechanics.  They might have been better served with a more traditional western story rather than incorporate the supernatural but then you would lose some of its uniqueness too.  My main complaint was that mission difficulty seemed uneven but perhaps that's just me.  They didn't have the save feature and I had to replay whole scenarios multiple times which got a little tedious.  If they have added it now, that's a great enhancement to address my concern.   In any event, definitely worth it at that price point!

Skwerl

-budd-

Love me some western gaming. This has been on my list for awhile, now might be the time. The reports of the uneven difficulty and replaying the harder missions over and over kept me from buying.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

DennisS

Quote from: -budd- on June 16, 2017, 10:15:26 AM
Love me some western gaming. This has been on my list for awhile, now might be the time. The reports of the uneven difficulty and replaying the harder missions over and over kept me from buying.

This is where I am at. Have there been balance patches for this game?

-budd-

I picked it up and so far so good. I've only played a couple of battles but they weren't to tough, use cover, flank and play your cards right...literally..you get playing cards for winning battles, the cards have special traits or abilities you can assigned to characters. If you've spent anytime with XCOM you'll know what to expect. I've come across nothing in my early time that seemed unfair. Didn't see any balance adjustments in the latest patch notes, but you can save scum now...save anytime..enable in options. Nice western vibe with visuals and story telling so far.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

KyzBP

fran

Pulled the trigger on this one, plus the dlc

Thanks for the recommendations.

Dammit Carl!

In a semi-related vein, and speaking of Western themed games, has anyone had experience with Hunt Showdown?  Looks nifty but early access so...

airboy

I missed this sale on vacation.  It is back to $20.

I read some detailed reviews on Steam.  Both the positive and the negative reviews said the same things:
a] Great concept
b] Interesting plot
c] Combat system and AI are buggy

Where the review eventually lands depends on the relative weights of a & b vs c above. 

I put this on my wishlist.  I sincerely hope they get the AI & combat bugs worked out.  If they achieve these fixes, this could be a classic.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

airboy

I bought it on sale and did not care for it.  You must, without fail, become demonically possessed.  Extremely dark game.  Also quite difficult.  The combination of the darkness & difficulty ended up getting me to remove it from my hard drive.

The game was not buggy - but the odds are really against you in multiple scenarios.