Rules Writers Write Rules, Right? Or Have I Gone Mad?

Started by Cyrano, July 05, 2017, 10:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Darwin

@Cyrano - Thanks for the clarification. That makes no sense. You should not waffle as a designer. Rules should be clear and concise. If the rule(s) is possibly confusing or unclear use an example. You need to be careful when using words like may, should, could or any term that renders a concrete rule ambiguous. Every designer knows that exact meaning of the rule they have written (or they should), but very few review or edit rules with the mindset of a new player who has never played a game before. This goes to Barthheart's point of fresh eyes. If you can do "fresh eyes" pass it over to someone who can. End the end, house rules fix the bugs.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

I don't mind house ruling things at all. Problem I find is that is tough to get consensus within a group of gamers as to what the house rule should be. That's why it's important that the 'official' rules be well written and unambiguous. Otherwise, it leads to a lot of time spent bickering over what a rule means and if it's 'broken' how it should be fixed.

Gamers love to argue. Rules clarity helps to minimize the bickering.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Quote from: mirth on July 06, 2017, 08:57:05 AM

I demand support for this assertion, sir!

mirth

Quote from: Bison on July 06, 2017, 09:36:25 AM
Quote from: mirth on July 06, 2017, 08:57:05 AM

I demand support for this assertion, sir!

Stuff it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

Duel at dawn down by the river!  Pick your second, sir.

mirth

Bison

Ghostbusters Bill Murray or Caddy Shack Bill Murray?

mirth

Barthheart

Bison

mirth

Okay. Bill and I will both skip the duel and be hanging out with John Candy at the bar with the mud-wrestling chicks.

Bison

mirth

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth