Steam Account Stolen

Started by Zulu1966, October 06, 2017, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

^ Nice site, Ian C. My Steam password would take 100 years to crack so I feel relatively safe. My other passwords are upwards of 16 billion years to crack so I should be good I hope.

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 08, 2017, 07:42:58 AM
^ Nice site, Ian C. My Steam password would take 100 years to crack so I feel relatively safe. My other passwords are upwards of 16 billion years to crack so I should be good I hope.

Oh how you underestimate the little Russian hacker kids.  >:D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Ian C

Hackers use a 'Brute Force' attack to crack your password. They will use an app that repeatedly tries various passwords but this can easily be defeated by websites that disallow multiple login attempts within seconds or having a really strong password that isn't obvious and uses upper, lower case, spaces and special characters. The Brute Force attack is  pretty old hat though.
More likely, the hack is through a trojan virus. Once a PC is infected, it's an easy task for a hacker to steal whatever they like. This is why you need to have a Firewall and Antivirus software installed and working at all times.

However, in the case of Zulu1966, I'm guessing his original password for mail and STEAM account was something really simple to guess, like 'password' or his star sign or similar. The hacker used a simple method and got lucky. Sadly, a lot of people get stung this way.  Glad you got things fixed Zulu.

bbmike

Yeah, this thread inspired me to change both my Steam account and my Amazon account passwords.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

^ Me, too. No point in tempting fate. I haven't changed them in a very long time, but I need to get into the habit of changing them every few months.

Gusington

Damn. I'm using that password site above and getting nervous.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Quote from: Gusington on October 08, 2017, 01:10:54 PM

It would make me a little nervous just typing in my password to some random internet website.

mirth

Quote from: trailrunner on October 08, 2017, 01:12:27 PM

It would make me a little nervous just typing in my password to some random internet website.

This
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Don't. Type in similar ones.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on October 08, 2017, 01:41:06 PM

Don't. Type in similar ones.

That
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

I found that putting just one more non-alpha in my pseudo password increased the cracking time factor by several hundred over what it was before.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Ian C

yesterday     = 2 minutes
Yesterday     = 19 hours
Y3sterday    = 4 days
Y3st.erday    = 10 years
Y3st.erda_y   = 5 thousand years
Y3st.erda_y*&   = 47 million years

Gusington

I'm good with 47 million years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Makes all your troubles seem so far away...

Zulu1966

Quote from: Ian C on October 08, 2017, 12:25:04 PM
Hackers use a 'Brute Force' attack to crack your password. They will use an app that repeatedly tries various passwords but this can easily be defeated by websites that disallow multiple login attempts within seconds or having a really strong password that isn't obvious and uses upper, lower case, spaces and special characters. The Brute Force attack is  pretty old hat though.
More likely, the hack is through a trojan virus. Once a PC is infected, it's an easy task for a hacker to steal whatever they like. This is why you need to have a Firewall and Antivirus software installed and working at all times.

However, in the case of Zulu1966, I'm guessing his original password for mail and STEAM account was something really simple to guess, like 'password' or his star sign or similar. The hacker used a simple method and got lucky. Sadly, a lot of people get stung this way.  Glad you got things fixed Zulu.

Not quite as simple as password but similar. Didn't help it was the same as my mail either. As I say lesson learned. 😏
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.