Any games with a dynamic open-world campaign?

Started by Apocalypse 31, April 19, 2017, 08:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2017, 08:44:23 AM

To some extent, Wings Over Flanders Fields is dynamic, but it is not real time.  However, the missions are generated based on the activity on the front and are not scripted.  I've never lived long enough to see how the front moves, but I understand that it does.

It's obviously pretty true to life then...

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: MikeGER on April 19, 2017, 10:43:23 AM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 19, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
I think what I'm asking has not been made.

Would love to play the EECH dynamic campaign, but with the  ability to control and play as ground forces.

IIRC there are several ARMA 3 user made mods/modules out where a persistant war is going on and you can pick missions to participate in different roles  ...i dont have first hand knowledge/experience  just remember reading about them

Can you hit me with a link?

I'm a pretty avid ArmA/OFP player, and I've never seen anything like that. Most of the Capture The Island game modes are player-driven and normally require a bunch of human-players to be effective.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2017, 08:44:23 AM

The Wings Over Vietnam/Europe/North Atlantic/etc. are somewhat dynamic.  Again, missions generated based on success and failure, persistent damage to resources between missions, etc., but not real time, and nowhere near as robust as Falcon.

The Strike Fighters 2 series is the newer version of the "Wings Over XX" series, with some improved graphics and later updates.

I'd recommend getting the SF2 stuff to a newcomer, instead of the older Wings ones.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Of course, French pilots are freaking crazy.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 19, 2017, 01:03:32 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on April 19, 2017, 10:43:23 AM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 19, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
I think what I'm asking has not been made.

Would love to play the EECH dynamic campaign, but with the  ability to control and play as ground forces.

IIRC there are several ARMA 3 user made mods/modules out where a persistant war is going on and you can pick missions to participate in different roles  ...i dont have first hand knowledge/experience  just remember reading about them

Can you hit me with a link?

I'm a pretty avid ArmA/OFP player, and I've never seen anything like that. Most of the Capture The Island game modes are player-driven and normally require a bunch of human-players to be effective.

Look up Whole lotta Stratis, Whole lotta Altis and Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS).
Though it feels more like GTA or Ghost Recon Wildlands.  You get to bring along a squad.

Nefaro

It's amazing what the modders have done with the ancient Falcon 4 sim. 

Think I'm past messing with that old dinosaur, though.  I'd really like to see the Viper added to DCS sometime in the future, once they get past their current distraction and back to making good progress.

mikeck

I really can't believe that will all the DCS planes available, there is no F-16
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Quote from: mikeck on April 20, 2017, 07:51:00 PM

Not exotic enough.

Skoop

Quote from: jomni on April 20, 2017, 07:58:11 PM

Not exotic enough.

Might be still too classified to do it dcs study sim level, but after the F18 is done....I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do the F16....all the technology would be in place to do a modern multi role.

Apocalypse 31

I cant believe there's no dynamic campaign!

Skoop

There are user made semi dynamic with persistent losses for DCS.  Check the mission making forums at ED, there's ones for the mig21, f15, f5e,and mirage.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Skoop on April 21, 2017, 09:42:41 AM
There are user made semi dynamic with persistent losses for DCS.  Check the mission making forums at ED, there's ones for the mig21, f15, f5e,and mirage.

I don't own any of those modules, and I was looking at something more combined arms focused.

Again, I don't think what I want exists.

This is a mission for Microprose.

mikeck

I think someone is working on the F-14 as mod but I would love a "US Navy " package. F-14, F-18 and maybe the A-6e intruder. Great plane that gets no love anywhere
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

I'd love to see an a6 too, the SAM and EW busting capabilities would be awesome in dcs.  The f14 is already being worked on by 3rd party devs.