War in the East: Case Blue - Phase I. My first AAR!

Started by Pzrjager, April 13, 2018, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pzrjager

Thank you  :)! WitE is a lot of fun but it takes some serious effort to learn. I'm about 2/3rds through the 300+ page manual.

Dammit Carl!

:dreamer:

Nice!

The Eastern Front is always interesting to me (was regaling The Boy with info about the Battle of Kursk and Dan Carlin's "Ghosts of the Ostfront," series just yesterday).

Con

very nice are you using any mods for the game?

Con

BanzaiCat

Very cool, Pzrjager!

A helpful suggestion for future posts - when you post an image tag, put the text 'width=####' in there so your images don't go off the screen.

I think in general the best width is around 1000 to 1200 or so.

For example - instead of "[ img ]image link here[ /img ]", do "[ img width=1200 ]image link here[ /img ]".

(Note the spaces before and after the 'img' text is not supposed to be there, but had to be entered so you could see what I'm talking about.)

Hit the Preview button at bottom right to get an idea of how big your image is. You can adjust the number however you want, then click Post when you're happy!

mirth

1000 is usually safest max width to prevent horizontal scrolling on smaller screens.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Ain't nobody goin' to no moon usin' no durn Canadianistan metric measuring system.

Barthheart

Just cause you 'Muricans can't count to 10 doesn't make it wrong.  :coolsmiley:

JasonPratt

We don't have to count to ten: we shoot at that point.  >:D

Here's one of the screenies at width 900.

At 800.

At 1000

At 1024 (which like 800 and 900 has the advantage of being a "resolution" number).

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, were you playing with no fog PzJgr? Or was your air-scouting just that good? (I've owned the game for years but never played it.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pzrjager

@Con Thank you. I have several mods installed.

If you want the same setup, follow the guide here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4086504

You'll need to use the links here for the map mods: http://thestrategygamer.com/2017/01/31/war-in-the-east-map-mods/

And I use this mod for better leader and unit photos: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4143659

And last, I recommend you use JSGME so you don't have to replace your original files with the mod files: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3937265

@BanzaiCat Thanks for the tip, I've changed the images to 900 width. They look much better :).

@JasonPratt Yup! I play with no fog of war, which is the default setting. Recon is still useful however. Although I can see all the units, I don't have an accurate idea of the enemy units' strength. If an enemy unit is next to mine then I'll have a good idea because the AI will automatically recon the enemy. However, I sometimes won't know the strength of units behind the front, and even more so when they're in terrain and/or fortifications. Recon will help me understand what I'm going up against so I can attack with the appropriate amount of force.

Con

What level of victory do you earn as the Germans with the scenario Road to Minsk?

The reason I ask is that this scenario is my own impossible task to get a Decisive victory on so I would be interested if you have achieved it what you did.  I keep coming back to this one like a beaten dog just not willing to let it go.

My biggest question is how far do you push your troops on the first two turns.  I find if I go to far on turn 1 I cant get my panzers over the river on turn 3 due to supply and truck shortages.  If I take it to easy then the Russians just put thousands of counters dug in across the river and jam up my ability to concentrate and break through delaying me too much to take the victory cities.  If I spread my panzers to ensure encirclement of the Russian troops I dilute the ability to concentrate them and move on the subsequent turns.

Con

IICptMillerII

Lots of good information in this thread, both in how to play Grigsby and how to properly post images so they fit.

I was surprised that you are able to break down divisions into regiments. That goes a long way in helping to ensure the encircled enemy remains encircled. I'll have to try this in my next Grigsby game.

Well done in the battle!

Con

Sorry I meant the Road to Smolensk Scenario not Minsk.  Minsk i can do.

Con

Quote from: Con on April 19, 2018, 01:50:09 PM
What level of victory do you earn as the Germans with the scenario Road to Minsk?

The reason I ask is that this scenario is my own impossible task to get a Decisive victory on so I would be interested if you have achieved it what you did.  I keep coming back to this one like a beaten dog just not willing to let it go.

My biggest question is how far do you push your troops on the first two turns.  I find if I go to far on turn 1 I cant get my panzers over the river on turn 3 due to supply and truck shortages.  If I take it to easy then the Russians just put thousands of counters dug in across the river and jam up my ability to concentrate and break through delaying me too much to take the victory cities.  If I spread my panzers to ensure encirclement of the Russian troops I dilute the ability to concentrate them and move on the subsequent turns.

Con