Working in Cybersecurity

Started by Gusington, April 25, 2012, 08:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Thanks LB. I'm just starting the process now but I will hit you up again once I actually have the certifications.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on May 31, 2012, 12:12:31 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 31, 2012, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2012, 08:22:44 PM
Anyone work in the industry? Anyone got pros/cons? My current job as a intranet communications manager ties into cybersecurity at a basic level.

I can put you in touch with a few people in the biz.  One is the heading of training/wargaming for USCYBERCOM at Ft Meade.  Another is a contractor that does a lot of high-level cybersecurity work for the gov't.  Let's talk later.

That reminds me - I know someone who used to work in the industry, too. Best way I know how to get hold of him is Facebook, though...

There's an irony there somewhere.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 31, 2012, 05:25:58 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 31, 2012, 12:12:31 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 31, 2012, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2012, 08:22:44 PM
Anyone work in the industry? Anyone got pros/cons? My current job as a intranet communications manager ties into cybersecurity at a basic level.

I can put you in touch with a few people in the biz.  One is the heading of training/wargaming for USCYBERCOM at Ft Meade.  Another is a contractor that does a lot of high-level cybersecurity work for the gov't.  Let's talk later.

That reminds me - I know someone who used to work in the industry, too. Best way I know how to get hold of him is Facebook, though...

There's an irony there somewhere.

Several.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

So I just purchased my first two vouchers for the A+ certification. This will be my 'foundation' to get certified in other more advanced areas including networking, as a build up to security and then advanced security certifications as well as Sharepoint.

The expense hurt a lot less by placing it on the corporate card :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on June 01, 2012, 09:45:55 AM
The expense hurt a lot less by placing it on the corporate card :)

It always does :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^It's new for me! Moving on up!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on June 01, 2012, 01:07:34 PM

So, the Inaugural Groghead Conference and Keg Party Debacle is on you?  Nice!  Where's it going to be?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on June 03, 2012, 03:41:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 01, 2012, 01:07:34 PM

So, the Inaugural Groghead Conference and Keg Party Debacle is on you?  Nice!  Where's it going to be?
Probably same place as last year: in the alleyway behind Lulu's Finest Discount Beer and Wine-o-porium. It'll probably run until dawn or until Lulu's cousin Bruno the Eyebrow chases us away, whichever comes first. I have dibs on the tipped over shopping cart seat!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Actually this year it's in my pants. First come first serve though...it's already crowded in there!

Going to take a practice exam for this some time this month and then move on to the real thing so I can then move on to the next tests :)

Etc., etc., etc.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jack Nastyface

Gus...
Sorry for the delayed response.  An excellent resource for Cybersecurity info is availabe at SANS.org.  SANS is a cooperative research and educational organization that includes discussion, training, certification, conferences, and resources for the entire spectrum of IT security-based services, including things like corporate policy, electronic forensic data collection, auditing, physical controls, documentation standards, programming standards, continuation of business planning, cryptography, steganography, etc.

There are some real "ones and zeroes" guys that work in IT security, but there is also a need for real-world thinkers and communicators.  A few years back, I did an complete IT infrastructure assessment on behalf of a company wanting to buy another company (really - it was an IT audit of sorts) and I used some SANS resources to guide my work.

Let me know if you have any other questions...I'm not a programmer, virus protection, or firewall guy, but I have by necessity dealt with many of these issues. I also know at least a couple of guys who work in data forensics that I may be able to point you to.

Yours in technology,

Jack "stateful packet inspected and approved" Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Gusington

^Now that is a post. Thanks Jack. I am nothing if not a communicator. As I get further on in the process I may take you up on your offer. I still need to decide the dates of my first two certification exams :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jack Nastyface

Just FYI...at one time, IT auditors were in big demand by traditional accounting firms (PWC, Anderson, Deloitte Touche, E&Y and KPMG).  Considering that more and more companies are producing intellectual property (as opposed to manufactured material goods), ensuring  that a company has a robust IT policy and infrastructure is just as important as making sure they have a robust accounting practices.  Although the work is somewhat boring, compensation is usually fairly good.

You may also want to take a look into IT privacy policy, especially in the healthcare sector.  Lots of stuff happening there, but you have to chew through some pretty dry material (apologies to any lawyers who have a jones for HIPAA, etc)

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Gusington

^The Wife works in the health care sector. Believe it or not, right now, working for a modeling and sports agency, can be not-so-exciting as well. I can deal with boredom. Not well, but I can deal. Thanks again for the advice Mr. Nastyface.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

OK so without knowing jack squat I just took my first A+ practice exam and got half the questions correct. Didn't pass the test, but getting half right without any preparation is pretty good. With a study guide and some time invested I should be able to get my A+ certification and then move on to networking, security and then more hardcore cybersecurity certifications. It will take some time but appears pretty doable.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd