Desert War 1940-1942 Release date announced

Started by Slick Wilhelm, March 15, 2018, 09:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick Wilhelm

Grim.Reaper

Released today....surprised not a lot of mention....seems a little steep for my use at $39....and not really sure about it yet.  Will be monitoring the feedback.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/676/details/Desert.War.1940-1942

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

This one doesn't really do anything for me...maybe I'll catch it on sale or with a coupon?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

The page description is a mixed bag for me. On one hand, C&C and Electronic Warfare and Special force assets in a WW2 game? (...really, EW assets!? Okay, I'm intrigued! That's something usually only found in super-hardcore wargames.) And the Air/Naval missions seem fairly robust.

On the other hand, HEXES ARE THE GREATEST INVENTION SINCE SLICED BREAD EVARRRR! WE SHALL HAVE HALF OF ONE OF THE SHORT PARAGRAPHS BE ABOUT THE PURPOSE OF HEX GRIDS OR EVEN JUST GRIDS AT ALL IN A WAR GAME!  :o  ...uh, I... I... I don't really need to be sold on map grids in a wargame "to help regulate unit placement, movement, and combat." BUT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HOW YOU WILL REDISCOVER SURPRISE WITH THIS INNOVATIVE WEGO SYSTEM AS THOUGH NO OTHER GAME YOU PLAY HAS SUCH A CAPABILITY! ADAPT OR DIE NO FURTHER CHOICE IS GIVEN IN DESSEERRRRRT WAAAARRRGGHHHH!

#:-)

QuoteWEGO by its nature is about the Player's ability to plan for and manage chaos; to find solutions to perceived challenges to accomplishing the mission with the tools at hand.

In this way, every decision you make must be carefully considered. Learn to think three moves ahead and outsmart your opponent!

...like, chess?  :bd:

I'll still be keeping an eye and an ear out on the system. Parts of it sound very promising.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 22, 2018, 06:34:40 PM
This one doesn't really do anything for me...maybe I'll catch it on sale or with a coupon?

I'm thinking the same
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

dinsdale

For the first time in ages, I think I'm interested in a Matrix game. Seems to fit the right complexity for me, in between the the more streamlined games and the Grigsby stuff. I also like wego, AIs seem to do better with that mode, and I love the theatre.

Its not as though I'm fending off all those competing operational desert war games with a stick, I'm surprised this hasn't found more appeal.

Zulu1966

Quote from: dinsdale on March 22, 2018, 08:55:14 PM
For the first time in ages, I think I'm interested in a Matrix game. Seems to fit the right complexity for me, in between the the more streamlined games and the Grigsby stuff. I also like wego, AIs seem to do better with that mode, and I love the theatre.

Its not as though I'm fending off all those competing operational desert war games with a stick, I'm surprised this hasn't found more appeal.

Doesn't matter...its about war and a game ... therefore will have to buy it it regardless of time to play it or even the immediate need for one of those.

I played around with the free version and it was quite interesting. My least favourite part of WWII ie  the desert but it will get bought so no use me pretending to myself I won't.

Played the old V4V games and to be honest in a hex and counter game always struggled with wego as it was difficult to visualise where things were going to end up or where you had moved what to. So be interesting to see how this one works for me.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MikeGER

for those who have TOaoW 4 how does it compare to this scenario?

here is a YT series i watched recently of that scenario to check the map and level of detail 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmPAfP98DoSPh1IuO0J_c_a8

JudgeDredd

As outlandish as this may sound - the graphics for me just don't tick ma box.

The counters look sunken, flat, over-sized for the hexes and look odd when stacked...I want them standing prompt. WitE, WitW, TOAW IV...that's what I want my games to look like now.
Alba gu' brath

salazarus

I was interested because I love WEGO system, but the price is to high.  War in the desert isn't that interesting. If we get some good user created scenarios I will buy it. I'm hoping for some arab-israeli scenarios.

Zulu1966

Quote from: salazarus on March 23, 2018, 05:26:56 AM
I was interested because I love WEGO system, but the price is to high.  War in the desert isn't that interesting. If we get some good user created scenarios I will buy it. I'm hoping for some arab-israeli scenarios.

That would be good. But I was hoping the user created scenarios could step outside the desert. That Pacific scenario they used to have on their web site looked fantastic but some posts I have seen on the matrix site suggest the editor may not be as flexible as I first thought. No doubt DLC is a factor in that and there would be a need for some special rules around amphip landings.

Pacific island war is under represented at an operational / grand tactical level
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

mirth

Quote from: Zulu1966 on March 23, 2018, 08:33:08 AM
Pacific island war is under represented at an operational / grand tactical level

Agreed. I found the Pacific game much more interesting. Hope they do something with that down the road.

salazarus

I think you can't add different terrain types. You can switch textures, but nothing more. Pacific will be hard to make. There is thread about upcoming editor:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4429535

glen55

Quote from: Zulu1966 on March 23, 2018, 08:33:08 AM
Quote from: salazarus on March 23, 2018, 05:26:56 AM

That would be good. But I was hoping the user created scenarios could step outside the desert. That Pacific scenario they used to have on their web site looked fantastic but some posts I have seen on the matrix site suggest the editor may not be as flexible as I first thought. No doubt DLC is a factor in that and there would be a need for some special rules around amphip landings.

I've been really, really hoping for a good all-forces sim of the Solomons campaign for most of my life. There have been decent sims of the air/naval aspects but the ground war, if it exists at all, is just an add-on bit because you have to have that too to make the air/naval battles meaningful.

Failing that, a good sim of the land battle for Guadalcanal would catch my attention.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower