DC3 Barbarossa, Bart vs Jason, aftermath discussion thread

Started by JasonPratt, May 29, 2016, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

OK, I'm still hungover but here's what you need to do.

1. Choose Start Campaign from the main screen.

2. Click on the word "Allies" in the Opponents box. It should change from Ai to Human. Make sure Fog of War is checked. Check Passwords and Historical Campaign. Then click Start.

3. Read all the dialog boxes. Choose whatever cards you want to use at the start. Then play the Go to War card.

4. Choose Login to set your password. Then choose Login again to start your turn.

5. Play the game. If you want to save in the middle of your turn then use the Save icon, not the End Turn icon, to save your progress. When you start the game up again choose Load Saved Game in the main menu. This will take right into your turn.

6. When you actually finish your turn and want to send me the file, use the End Turn icon. You'll go to a screen that says "Poland, it's your turn. Please login". Click the "Save+Quit" button. You then get to save the game in a new file. Choose a name with our names in it and a turn number so we can keep track. You won't see anything of my units.

7. Email me this new file. I'll set my password and play my turn and send the file back to you. Then we're off and running. You can't login to Poland and I can't login to Germany so all our info is safe.

I'll PM you my email address.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on March 18, 2017, 07:03:37 AM
OK, I'm still hungover but here's what you need to do.

The only thing I didn't do in that list was set up passwords at start. There was, of course, not the slightest inkling anywhere that this was how to set up a pbem game.  ::)

I'll test this soon to make sure I'm doing it right.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Yay, everything went as described!  :bd:

(That wasn't my actual turn, tho, I just sped thru everything fast to test it out.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Barthheart

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 18, 2017, 08:46:45 AM
Yay, everything went as described!  :bd:

(That wasn't my actual turn, tho, I just sped thru everything fast to test it out.)

:clap:

Now stop being nice to each other and start killing each other instead  :knuppel2: :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

I have begun production.

Soon, there will be blitzing. I'm aiming to get Barth's first turn to him by this afternoon.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

"Don't rush" is my blitzkrieg motto!  :bd:

:hide:

besilarius

"Festina lente."  Augustus Caesar.
(Hasten, but slowly.)
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 18, 2017, 02:48:43 PM
"Don't rush" is my blitzkrieg motto!  :bd:

O0

There was no Blitz in the Krieg yet in Fall Weiss. In Fall Gelb, there was, perhaps, but they did not realise it at the time then either. 

edit typos. Damn cellphones, Germans had them they'd never conquered anything
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

True, they only kinda discovered blitzkrieg by accident after the fact, including for Fall Gelb. Even though they had a daring strategic thrust plan for demonstrating a Schiefflinesque attack into the Lowlands and then racing some panzer troops across the Ards to cut off the French marching up to help (and still flanking the Maginot that way), the Germans still expected the conquest of France to take basically all winter and maybe next spring. They were as surprised as anyone at how quickly France collapsed. Come to think of it, this might have informed their expectations of what the Bulge would accomplish (even if on a lesser scale against stiffer opposition): the Blitz had never really failed them before.

Anyway. Haven't done my first turn yet; I've only been working on the introduction so far. My loose plan is now to do the first turn tomorrow morning and send it in before continuing with AAR production.

besilarius

Jason, you're right at the german's being surprised at the success of blitzkrieg.  But they earned that success.
Arguably, the biggest factor was that early on Guderian insisted on a dedicated corps for panzer divisions.
If the divisions had been put into a regular army corps, with infantry walking to contact, the speed of blitzkrieg could not have occurred.  Each corps commander would hold back the panzer division to not outrun his other formations.
After a few training exercises as a mechanized corps, he realised it would be revolutionary.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Quote from: besilarius on March 19, 2017, 08:24:11 AM
Jason, you're right at the german's being surprised at the success of blitzkrieg.  But they earned that success.

True. I'm not gonna lie, I squee'd when I randomly clicked on Guderian -- whose mechanized corps is sitting around ready to go (with arty and engineering support from the 4th Army.)

JasonPratt

Whew! 1st Turn sent off. Going to be a while before my AARs start coming in, but material has been generated!