Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I watched The Art of the Steal last night, a kind of comedy-suspense film starring Kurt Russell (looking oooolllddd, but still a hell of an actor). The movie revolves around stealing valuable works of art, and involves a big plot twist that you can kind of see coming, but it's still a great ride, full of laughs, and Kurt shows he hasn't lost his acting chops. I gave it a 5 out of 5 star rating.

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 25, 2015, 02:02:49 PM
Mirth, agreed: Avengers:EMH is objectively better than the DCAU's Justice League/Unlimited series, and that is no faint praise.

The Justice League series is excellent as well. I've been watching that with the kids.

Some of the best comic book adaptations are being done in these animated series. They're as much fun as the live-action films, imho.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 01, 2015, 12:31:28 PM
I watched The Art of the Steal last night, a kind of comedy-suspense film starring Kurt Russell (looking oooolllddd, but still a hell of an actor). The movie revolves around stealing valuable works of art, and involves a big plot twist that you can kind of see coming, but it's still a great ride, full of laughs, and Kurt shows he hasn't lost his acting chops. I gave it a 5 out of 5 star rating.

Cool. I'll check it out.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I'll have to check out that Avengers and DC stuff. Just about every night I look at the unwatched Agents of SHIELD episodes and think "meh," then Daredevil and think "meh," and then ran across "The Art of the Steal." It's always great to find a movie in there that I've never heard of and be very happy with the time spent watching it.

mirth

I keep meaning to watch Daredevil, but I've been feeling 'meh' about it too. Might try to get it into it this weekend.

BanzaiCat

It's REALLY hard to get into, Daredevil, but it does amp up. Once Vincent D'Onofrio makes his entrance as Kingpin around episode 5 or so, it really starts to take off, but unfortunately that's about where I left off. You'll have to give it a few episodes, mirth. I am only wanting to go back and watch it because of Vincent's performance, which was phenomenal.

On another note, I was very unimpressed with Vincent in Jurassic World. Normally I think he's a great actor (I mean, come on: "seven-six-two mil-li-me-ter...full metal jacket") but JW was overall pretty meh. His role was just awful, one-dimensional, and his lines were bad (though overall the writing was pretty weak). It really sucks that a MEH movie can make a billion-plus (including my eight bucks). Fucking Hollywood.

I need to get back into Daredevil. There's just not much on there right now that's making me want to binge-watch.

The series "Inbetweeners" is pretty good if you don't mind some Brit teen humor (which is pretty much Brit humor, so get ready for a lot of "wanker" and "your dad's bent" references, LOL). It made me laugh like an idiot, though the movies not so much. DEFINITELY not for kids.

Martok

Quote from: mirth on July 01, 2015, 12:37:34 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 25, 2015, 02:02:49 PM
Mirth, agreed: Avengers:EMH is objectively better than the DCAU's Justice League/Unlimited series, and that is no faint praise.

The Justice League series is excellent as well. I've been watching that with the kids.

Some of the best comic book adaptations are being done in these animated series. They're as much fun as the live-action films, imho.
I'm a big fan of the animated Justice League/Unlimited series as well.  I have the first two seasons on DVD; still need to pick up the 3rd & 4th seasons. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 01, 2015, 01:00:46 PM
On another note, I was very unimpressed with Vincent in Jurassic World. Normally I think he's a great actor (I mean, come on: "seven-six-two mil-li-me-ter...full metal jacket") but JW was overall pretty meh. His role was just awful, one-dimensional, and his lines were bad (though overall the writing was pretty weak). It really sucks that a MEH movie can make a billion-plus (including my eight bucks). Fucking Hollywood.

Agreed, Vincent D'Onofrio was wasted in Jurassic World. His character was a thinly written stereotype.

Looking forward to him in Daredevil. Have only heard good things.

undercovergeek

fk me is that who it was??!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 01, 2015, 03:18:36 PM
fk me is that who it was??!

Yes indeed. He very much looks the part of the Kingpin in Daredevil. He looks like a caricature and out of place in Jurassic World.

Nefaro

D'Onofrio is amazing in the Daredevil series. 

I started getting into it after DD was torturing his captives for info.  Not graphic torture, mind you, but definitely more results-oriented than most.  Not just holding a sharp object to a guys' throat while asking him about his connections, but slowly shoving it in kinda stuff.  Grittier.  ;)

undercovergeek

just started with Mad Men - thoroughly enjoying it, just got to series 2 in 3 days

have discovered id give a testicle to do bad things to January Jones

and the other one to Christina Hendricks

if they want my offspring theyll have to race to get to me first

naked

BanzaiCat

There's definitely worse things to wish for!

Gusington

Wait til you meet the British character, ucg...he is both tragic and hilarious.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on July 02, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
Wait til you meet the British character, ucg...he is both tragic and hilarious.

And the guy who plays him also played the adult Will Robinson in that Lost in Space movie from the 90s.

Your useless trivia for the day!