"Myths" of the American Revolution

Started by bayonetbrant, April 20, 2015, 07:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

So, I'm not channeling my inner SailorSaturn.

This is from The Smithsonian...

QuoteWe think we know the Revolutionary War. After all, the American Revolution and the war that accompanied it not only determined the nation we would become but also continue to define who we are. The Declaration of Independence, the Midnight Ride, Valley Forgeā€”the whole glorious chronicle of the colonists' rebellion against tyranny is in the American DNA. Often it is the Revolution that is a child's first encounter with history.

Yet much of what we know is not entirely true. Perhaps more than any defining moment in American history, the War of Independence is swathed in beliefs not borne out by the facts. Here, in order to form a more perfect understanding, the most significant myths of the Revolutionary War are reassessed.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/myths-of-the-american-revolution-10941835/?all

QuoteI. Great Britain Did Not Know What It Was Getting Into
II. Americans Of All Stripes Took Up Arms Out Of Patriotism
III. Continental Soldiers Were Always Ragged And Hungry
IV. The Militia Was Useless
V. Saratoga Was The War's Turning Point
VI. General Washington Was A Brilliant Tactician And Strategist
VII. Great Britain Could Never Have Won The War

There's more at the link...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Martok

Hmm.  I guess I wasn't really aware of most of those myths, with the possible exception of  #3 (and only in a more general sense -- that of being woefully undersupplied for most of the war).  I wasn't under any illusions about the rest of them. 

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 20, 2015, 07:46:07 AM

Heh.  Yeah... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

QuoteSo, I'm not channeling my inner SailorSaturn...

LOL.

If you were, you would have posted this:

Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

This I did not know!

Moreover, beginning in 1778, the New England states, and eventually all Northern states, enlisted African-Americans, a practice that Congress had initially forbidden. Ultimately, some 5,000 blacks bore arms for the United States, approximately 5 percent of the total number of men who served in the Continental Army.

The African-American soldiers made an important contribution to America's ultimate victory. In 1781, Baron Ludwig von Closen, a veteran officer in the French Army, remarked that the "best [regiment] under arms" in the Continental Army was one in which 75 percent of the soldiers were African-Americans.

Any time is a good time for pie.