Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

JD why do you prefer X3 over Rebirth?
X3 is notorious for being a slow burner and it takes a lot of time to get anywhere. There is much less direction in X3 than in Rebirth.

Rebirth on the other hand, with its patches and a few good mods, is more like X-lite, but with the benefit of being a much more compact and guided game.

From reading above I'd say Rebirth fits your playstyle best of all X games.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I preferred the look of X3 to rebirth.

X3 seemed to have a more professional look and feel to it and a music score that made it feel epic too.

There was something about the colour/shading/brightness/bloom (graphics in general?) in Rebirth that I didn't like AT ALL. On top of that, the off ship stuff was really, really naff. It was always something I had hoped for in the X universe but when it came out I was like "oh...no, no, no"

It just didn't click with me.
Alba gu' brath

Geezer

X3, you can fly any ship in the game.  Rebirth, you can fly one, count 'em, one ship.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Geezer on December 13, 2018, 06:26:19 AM
X3, you can fly any ship in the game.  Rebirth, you can fly one, count 'em, one ship.
^Is that restriction still there? wow!  :o
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 13, 2018, 07:34:55 AM
Quote from: Geezer on December 13, 2018, 06:26:19 AM
^Is that restriction still there? wow!  :o

But not in X4 :

Freedom to personally fly all ships:

X4 will allow you to fly all ships personally. From small scouts over a wide range of ship classes up to the biggest carrier, everything can be piloted from the cockpit or an external view.

Geezer

AFAIK, yes it's still the case in Rebirth as it is a core part of the game.  Not sure about mods.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

mikeck

Quote from: Geezer on December 13, 2018, 07:48:00 AM
AFAIK, yes it's still the case in Rebirth as it is a core part of the game.  Not sure about mods.

Personally, I never found the ability to pilot different ships in X that big of an attraction. They all felt the same with the exception of how quick they turned.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on December 13, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
Quote from: Geezer on December 13, 2018, 07:48:00 AM

Personally, I never found the ability to pilot different ships in X that big of an attraction. They all felt the same with the exception of how quick they turned.

Not much has changed in that regard with X4...its one of the criticisms.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Well at least all ships have their own interiors and cockpits now. In X3 you needed a mod to get cockpit sprites.

But yes, the flight dynamics in X4 are flat as a pancake. Especially if you're used to Elite Dangerous.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

X4 Foundations Public Beta - Version: 1.50 Beta 1 (325288)

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=405397  (you need to be registred to view this forum posts)
https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/discussions/0/2806204039995510767/

Huw the Poo

Nice, that's a lot of fixes!  I'm particularly pleased with AMD optimisations. :)

JudgeDredd

So it's been 5 days since anyone posted here. Is that because the fixes/additions are so good?

Anyone still playing it?

I was hoping it would be on the Steam sale so I held off buying it...but it's not, so if I by it, it has to be worth the money.

I loved X3 and it's additions and couldn't get on with Rebirth at all - just so you know where I'm at.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Spent a couple of hours configuring my T1600 hotas until I had something that worked OK for me.

Installed one mod : Signal Leak Hunter light version  (https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/51?tab=description)

Helps you locate those pesky signal leaks by using mission waypoints, also gives the player info on how many leaks a station has. Allows player to search for Communication Signals or Data Signals, or both. Two versions, depending on how cheaty you want it.

Cheat Less Version:
Activating scan mode near a station displays info on how many leaks there are remaining on the station.  The leaks are not waypointed until the player is within 250m of the leak.  The audio for leaks starts at 200m, the reason the waypoints start at 200m is because script has a slight delay between distance checks, so when the player is moving the effective detection radius is reduced.

Now I feel ready to start the game for real this weekend.

JudgeDredd

What's the point of signal leaks? Are those missions? And what's the point of the cheat? Was there no way to identify the leaks before?
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 21, 2018, 04:43:39 AM
What's the point of signal leaks? Are those missions? And what's the point of the cheat? Was there no way to identify the leaks before?

These leaks give you missions and sometimes other stuff (the main plot starts at a signal leak).

Without the 'cheat' you needed to get really close to find such a leak.  So you had to fly close around the whole station if you wanted to find one.
This mod only reduces the time needed to find them.