Total War Arena coop with Nefaro and HTuna. Good fun.

Started by Destraex, March 17, 2018, 11:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Just played a few games with Nefaro and HTuna. Good fun and nice to put some voices to names.
We had some really resounding successes and some dismal failures. Arena is both very time sensitive in that you cannot take too much time to do things
in the 15 minutes you have, or your team suffers while your part of the army is out of contact. 

HTuna took Greek Hoplites while Nefaro took Greek Archers and I Barbarian cavalry.
The Hoplites provide a potent wall of spears to protect the archers and a deterent to any attack. If you hit Hoplites from the front you are not going to have an easy time of it. Even if they are not formed into phalanx formation. If they are formed into phalanx formation they are almost impenetrable, however their spears are so tightly packed that even if friendly troops run into them they die.
I tried to provide a scouting element as well as targets of opportunity vanguard role. In addition to trying to protect our archers rear.

My son on his computer next to me, was unusually quiet which was a nice change. Must have been the American accents coming through the PC speakers :P

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tuna

Oops, didn't know we were on speakers, good thing we kept it clean. Fun time, would definitely do again!

Destraex

What was really strange was that you guys seem like nice people in real life... :D
Especially Nefaro. Yeah I am on speakers because of my tinitus and ear problems. Should try a headset again though.

Tuna

He got to hear two different American accents. You should have told me to say "Go park the car at harvard yard". For some reason the rest of Americans,  think its really funny when us Bostonians say that.  :crazy2:

Destraex

Yeah.
I am looking forward to trying my Greek shock cavalry. I think they are one of the hardest units in the game to play effecively.
Because they are heavy cavalry, they are not really useful for much but a heavy charge that affects moral much more than it actually does damage.
You are very exposed on their heavier slow mounts, they just don't have the burst of speed you need to get out of trouble I don't think. I will have to be prepared to
lose get very low scores when using them. I don't think the tier IV Greek cavalry are that bad though? They are more medium cav?

Destraex

Also a quick question to the community historically. What weapons are effective against elephants? Would pikes and spears be swept away against fresh elephants untouched by any other weapon. Are elephants like horses in that they shy away from spears? Considering the Romans formed empty lanes or gaps in their formations to let elephants harmlessly through. I am guessing the answer is yes. But I guess the question would be one of asking if the elephants are willing to attack solid walls of spears. Did they ever attack Macedonian phalanxs frontally?

jomni

Historically the weakeness of elephants are missile weapons, particularly the Javelin. FoG 2 does this well.
Poking elephants with pike or spear will eventually kill them but people argue that's that the rampage will be directed on the poking side and it won't be pleasant.  So it's better to make the elephants panic before close combat.

besilarius

Elephants also don't like loud noises.
A friend claimed that Scipio trained his musicians to get close and blow their tubariums suddenly near the ears at Zama.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Tuna

Father Ted

As it's a computer game you should probably threaten them with your mouse.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on March 17, 2018, 11:49:58 PM
Oops, didn't know we were on speakers, good thing we kept it clean. Fun time, would definitely do again!

Quote from: Destraex on March 17, 2018, 11:57:26 PM
What was really strange was that you guys seem like nice people in real life... :D
Especially Nefaro. Yeah I am on speakers because of my tinitus and ear problems. Should try a headset again though.

Good thing I kept it clean!  Always wonder if someone, on voice, is piping my hillbilly curses throughout their home, shocking family and pets.   ;D

I can keep it PG, though.  Tinitus sucks, have it in my right ear.  Too much extremely loud music and unprotected shooting in my youth, I suppose.  Gotta regularly jockey the output volume in voice programs, per individual, or it gets painful.  Definitely understand not using headphone speakers next to your damaged eardrums.

Quote from: Destraex on March 18, 2018, 12:22:05 AM
Yeah.
I am looking forward to trying my Greek shock cavalry. I think they are one of the hardest units in the game to play effecively.
Because they are heavy cavalry, they are not really useful for much but a heavy charge that affects moral much more than it actually does damage.
You are very exposed on their heavier slow mounts, they just don't have the burst of speed you need to get out of trouble I don't think. I will have to be prepared to
lose get very low scores when using them. I don't think the tier IV Greek cavalry are that bad though? They are more medium cav?

Just got the first Greek cav yesterday on Alexander.  They're all about the Impact damage. 

Their armor is good, but they're currently the only cav without shields.  I don't know how the shields work in TW:A, but if it's like regular TW then they make a big difference when taking ranged fire from the front.  Probably a lesser effect in melee. 

I get the impression the Greek cav is for a quick charge and getting back out to greener pastures or to re-charge as needed.  Alexander's "Hammer" and "Anvil" abilities seem essential for it, too.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on March 18, 2018, 04:27:12 AM
Historically the weakeness of elephants are missile weapons, particularly the Javelin. FoG 2 does this well.
Poking elephants with pike or spear will eventually kill them but people argue that's that the rampage will be directed on the poking side and it won't be pleasant.  So it's better to make the elephants panic before close combat.

In the last TW:A nerfing of the overpowered elephants, they listed an increase in speed debuff for them when struck by javelins. 

I believe javelins also do some bonus damage to elephants in it. Although the war elephants have a huge hp pool in this thing, so it still takes awhile from what I understand. 

Also:

Didn't Scipio (iirc?) train his infantry to open up columns through his lines when charged by elephants?  They would take the path of least resistance through those while his javelins & skirmishers would pelt them and get them to run off the other side. 

Obviously can't do that in-game because the player has complete control.  I'm not even sure if TW:A elephant players will lose control of them in a rampage.

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on March 18, 2018, 01:15:05 PM
Quote from: jomni on March 18, 2018, 04:27:12 AM

In the last TW:A nerfing of the overpowered elephants, they listed an increase in speed debuff for them when struck by javelins. 

I believe javelins also do some bonus damage to elephants in it. Although the war elephants have a huge hp pool in this thing, so it still takes awhile from what I understand. 

Also:

Didn't Scipio (iirc?) train his infantry to open up columns through his lines when charged by elephants?  They would take the path of least resistance through those while his javelins & skirmishers would pelt them and get them to run off the other side. 

Obviously can't do that in-game because the player has complete control.  I'm not even sure if TW:A elephant players will lose control of them in a rampage.

TWA needs to nerf the wardogs. They are way OP..I saw them munch an archer unit much faster than a cav unit would have.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on March 18, 2018, 01:15:05 PM

There's no morale in the game? Only HP?

Destraex

Morale is a huge part of the game. Some cavalry cause more moral damage than actual damage with their charges for instance. Units rout often and rally sometimes.
Moral is hugely effected by flanking and rear attacks. The game even tells you when the troops are happier because their flanks are protected by friendlies, which I also think has an effect on it's moral.

See the symbols just above the unit cards. The one with the chevron and block of dots indicates that I am protected on that flank.