UPDATE: Game Designer John Hill has passed away

Started by bayonetbrant, January 11, 2015, 10:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.consimworld.com/post/107812352586/i-need-to-let-you-all-know-that-john-had-a-major

QuoteI need to let you all know that John had a major heart attack a couple of days ago and went to the hospital in Sante Fe on Friday. He was stabilized and doing OK until very early this morning, when he started having trouble breathing. They moved him to ICU to stabilize his vitals, but now he is on 100% life support...the doctors aren't giving much hope.

I am heading down there shortly I hope - I am waiting on the OK from his wife Lu (I don't want to be in the family's way).

Please hug your loved ones and tell them that you love them and hope for the best for John. Thank you.

You may have heard of a few of his designs...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/986/john-hill-i

Across A Deadly Field: Regimental Rules for Civil War Battles
ASL Annual '89
Bar-Lev: The Yom-Kippur War of 1973
Battle for Stalingrad
The Brotherhood
Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943
Cross of Iron
Eastern Front Tank Leader
Hue
Jerusalem
Johnny Reb
Johnny Reb III
Kasserine Pass
Overlord
PanzerForce
Squad Leader
Verdun, The Game of Attrition
Verdun: The Game of Attrition
Yalu: The Chinese Counteroffensive in Korea, November 1950 to May 1951
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Prayers going out to him and his family.  Mr. Hill is a wargaming icon and legend.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Peace, healing, comfort, and solace to Mr. Hill and his loved ones.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

Very sad news. That is quite an impressive list of games.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Grimnirsson

Sad news indeed, already saw the message on CSW. There comes the day for us all when the hammer falls...so drink happily that you don't feel the blow... :(
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

bayonetbrant

just posted in the last hour or so

QuoteUpdate2: John is back in CCU. His heart stopped and he was resuscitated. He is back on full life support with his family by his side to say their goodbyes.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

To many, Squad Leader is the greatest board wargame ever designed.  I believe it remains the best selling of all time.  Not too great a stretch to say he is the paper, cardboard, and chit equivalent of Donald Featherstone.

I met him at Historicon if only briefly and got the same sense of the sillies I got when meeting Gygax and Arneson.

R.I.P.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Uberhaus

Unfortunately, the news is that he has passed.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=371638

Thank you, Mr. John Hill, you continue to bring a lot of enjoyment to my life.  I wish your family comfort at this time and that they cherish your accomplishments and the joy that you brought to so many people around the world.

Bison

RIP  He has clearly been a major factor in the wargaming community over the years.

How old was he when he passed away?

panzerde

Very sorry to hear this. As much as he'll be missed in our community, I'm thinking most of his family right now. RIP.  :(
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MikeGER

RIP  I salute to a gread games designer, John Hill

PanzersEast

GJK

It may sound cheesy to some but in all seriousness, my life changed in 1977 when Squad Leader came out and me and my best friend bought copies and began playing it.  That game became the standard by which we judged all other gaming experiences.

RIP John Hill.  His counter may of been pulled from the counter tray for the last time but the impact that he's had on the hobby is immeasurable.  Prayers to his family.

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer