The Thin Spartan Line at Nemea (394 BC)

Started by MengJiao, April 27, 2018, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Hopefully the Spartans will pull through on this.  With their allies they are facing a slightly larger force that combines the armies of Corinth, Athens and Boeotia so they have thinned out so as not to offer an easy outflanking opening to their foes.  The left looks shaky to me so I put all the skirmishers there, opening the way for the more powerful Spartan-heavy right to smash the Athenians.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on April 27, 2018, 02:35:54 PM
Go get'em

That's the Hoplite plan.  So here, the Spartans, outnumbered (say 23,000 to 19,000) thin out (less than 8 men deep) and extend their line.  The other Greeks not only don't thin out, but the Thebans under Ismenias on the right, are at double thickness (16-25 men deep rather than 8).  The other Greeks also have 3 times the cavalry so the Spartan skirmishers and cavalry are not going to help much if at all.

Gusington

I just beat the Greeks in my Field of Glory King Philip campaign, so...all your bases belong to us.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on April 28, 2018, 06:23:35 PM
I just beat the Greeks in my Field of Glory King Philip campaign, so...all your bases belong to us.

Phillip took over from the Persians it seems for in the war that started at Nemea (the Corinthian war, followed by the King (ie Persian King)'s Peace), Persia supported most of Greece against Sparta, but when Spartan started down the drain, Persia switched sides to save the Spartans. Similarly, Phillip beat the Greeks, but his son still had to leave a Macedonian force to keep the various Greeks in check.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 28, 2018, 06:58:43 PM

Phillip took over from the Persians it seems for in the war that started at Nemea (the Corinthian war, followed by the King (ie Persian King)'s Peace), Persia supported most of Greece against Sparta, but when Spartan started down the drain, Persia switched sides to save the Spartans. Similarly, Phillip beat the Greeks, but his son still had to leave a Macedonian force to keep the various Greeks in check.

Both sides plunge toward the enemy.  Here is the view from the Athenians, who have trotted dutifully forward and and are about to be smashed by the Spartans.  Meanwhile on the other end of the line, the Thebans are running into a much more chaotic situation.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 28, 2018, 08:45:18 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 28, 2018, 06:58:43 PM

Both sides plunge toward the enemy.  Here is the view from the Athenians, who have trotted dutifully forward and and are about to be smashed by the Spartans.  Meanwhile on the other end of the line, the Thebans are running into a much more chaotic situation.

Alas!  Most horrid and unlikely fate:  The Corinthians and company sustain and survive the first onslaught (and rout the Spartan Skirmishers and Cavalry) and then do their chit pulls perfectly and smash the Spartan allies on the left before the Spartans finish obliterating the Athenians.  The Corinthians and company also have a higher rout point (55 versus 45).  The Corinthians are at 34 rout points and the Spartans go over 45 ( 4 allied hoplite formations and and the skrimishers and Cav = 58!) at the end of Turn 2.
   Unlike every time I play Delium, this time the doubled Theban formation had a beneficial impact.