GM's Apprentice Decks

Started by Nefaro, August 19, 2016, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I didn't realize the Gamemaster's Apprentice Decks were offered in various genres, besides the company's own in-house RPG. 

May have to get some.  Extra Plot Gen &  Solo Play tools = good.

The Horror PDF version is in the sale, the one I linked above.  But there are numerous others.

Shows the strengths of using cards, featuring multiple randomized categories/tables/keywords on each, to quickly prod the thinkmeats along.  Instead of rolling a die then having to it up on a table for every device, you just flip cards and add a specific bit from each.

Summaries on how they work:

gameleaper

The decks could probably help a lot in solo play, but I don't like delivery, so I skip them really

cant belive it just checked its a PDF :)

Nefaro

The full Documentation is available in the Publisher's Preview link:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/download_preview.php?pid=167552

and some extra framework for solo'ing with them:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/168609/ALONe-A-Solo-Game-Engine-BETA

Quote from: gameleaper on August 19, 2016, 11:25:12 AM
The decks could probably help a lot in solo play, but I don't like delivery, so I skip them really

cant belive it just checked its a PDF :)

Thought you mostly played solo?   ???

gameleaper

gameleaper

Cant tell How much I needed these cards, Thankyou, I got the base set and the horror, I will have to wait for the sci-fi etc..  but I want them :)

bbmike

Is this anything like Mythic Game Emulator?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

yes has a little bit of the yes/no and critical yes/no mechanics, its brilliant, It actualy has replaced mythic GM for me and there are 120 cards in each deck, aswell as replacing mythic(for me anyway) it does lots and lots more , I would get the generic RPG neutral deck first, then go for Sci-fi or horror

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on August 20, 2016, 08:15:31 AM

Yes. 

But in a 120 card deck.  Each card having numerous different outcomes, symbols, dice rolls, and keywords to combine for storytelling/plot progression ideas.  But, unlike MGME, you don't have to roll dice & check tables for every question/idea.  You just draw 1+ cards and read.

The pair of PDFs I linked earlier have info on some ways to use them, including Solo.  Their basic use looks pretty self-explanatory to me, but the docs also provide some good framework & tips.

Quote from: gameleaper on August 19, 2016, 09:07:36 PM
Cant tell How much I needed these cards, Thankyou, I got the base set and the horror, I will have to wait for the sci-fi etc..  but I want them :)

I thought they were pretty cool, too! 

Thought about getting the PDF, printing & cutting a set, and sticking them in CCG Card Sleeves or gluing to a few decks of cards.  But by the time I spend extra on materials, I'm thinking I should just cough up the $20 and get a proper prefab card set or two.

Also want the Base, Horror, and Sci-Fi ones.  Should be a nice rounded well from which to draw some sparks.

EDIT:  Let me know how interesting their Solitaire beta PDF is.   I only glanced at those, to get a general idea, but it looked like it could speed up familiarity and give extra ideas for using the cards.

gameleaper

there is a pay what you want version in beta, has only 60 cards but it would get you a idea of what it is.

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on August 20, 2016, 11:13:49 AM

there is a pay what you want version in beta, has only 60 cards but it would get you a idea of what it is.

Yup.  That's the second one I linked earlier.

bbmike

I read through the intro and ended up getting the Science Fiction cards. I think this will be very useful with solo games. I also see why, gameleaper, you created the three card draw program. That will be useful too!  O0
Thanks for bring this to my attention, Nefaro!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on August 20, 2016, 11:07:28 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 20, 2016, 08:15:31 AM

Yes. 

But in a 120 card deck.  Each card having numerous different outcomes, symbols, dice rolls, and keywords to combine for storytelling/plot progression ideas.  But, unlike MGME, you don't have to roll dice & check tables for every question/idea.  You just draw 1+ cards and read.

The pair of PDFs I linked earlier have info on some ways to use them, including Solo.  Their basic use looks pretty self-explanatory to me, but the docs also provide some good framework & tips.

Quote from: gameleaper on August 19, 2016, 09:07:36 PM

I thought they were pretty cool, too! 

Thought about getting the PDF, printing & cutting a set, and sticking them in CCG Card Sleeves or gluing to a few decks of cards.  But by the time I spend extra on materials, I'm thinking I should just cough up the $20 and get a proper prefab card set or two.

Also want the Base, Horror, and Sci-Fi ones.  Should be a nice rounded well from which to draw some sparks.

EDIT:  Let me know how interesting their Solitaire beta PDF is.   I only glanced at those, to get a general idea, but it looked like it could speed up familiarity and give extra ideas for using the cards.

after watching the videos and sitting back and figuring how the yes/no worked it took me some scratching my head, but then it struck me how simple it was , the cards can be used any way you want , this is what makes them great for solo play, you decide what you want to know and draw a card , then look at the part that you drew for, it can be dice,Words,Treasure,all sorts of stuff, I never thought mythic GM would ever be in  my bin but goodbye mythic :)

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on August 20, 2016, 11:14:58 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on August 20, 2016, 11:13:49 AM

Yup.  That's the second one I linked earlier.

sorry Nef , I was so excited I missed the link.

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 20, 2016, 11:18:46 AM
I read through the intro and ended up getting the Science Fiction cards. I think this will be very useful with solo games. I also see why, gameleaper, you created the three card draw program. That will be useful too!  O0

I used 3 cards from each of same files , so its only possible to draw 1 at a time or your just getting the files with 3 cards,it will still work for 3 cards but your getting a batch of 3s for 40 files so not as random as one card at a time, its been updated for mouse control

Nefaro

I wonder how well alternating between the Base deck, and one or more of the genre-specific ones, works.  Either mixed together.. or just kept in separate decks, but taking turns drawing each card from the other deck.

For example, using the Base deck with the Horror deck.  Draw a Base card for something, and then drawing a Horror card for the next part of same situation, or the next new one. 

Wondering how well they blend because many of my favorite settings have some amount of horror in them.   Many have quite a bit, mixed in with various other timelines & genres.  Including more than one Sci-Fi+Horror mix.

Quote from: bbmike on August 20, 2016, 11:18:46 AM

Quite glad I just happened upon them, after a time.

It wasn't a direct route, either.  I ended up watching someone's review of some indie RPG, as YouTube clickbait I had noticed as "recommended" for me to watch. 

Being curious about the reviewed game, I checked DriveThruRPG to get a glimpse of the text description.  But ended up seeing it's specific GM Apprentice Deck listed below it, in the "Also Purchased With.." list at the bottom.  After groking that first deck, I sent it to my Wishlist in record time thinking that it should work for any horror rpg to some extent, not just the somewhat humorous one it's meant for. 

Was browsing my Wishlist a month or so later, and clicked on that GM Apprentice Deck.  Thinking about when I wanted to try it out.  Then, again, I saw in the promo list below, the other generic setting decks available.  Didn't even know those existed! 

TL;DR

After a month, and a few click-bait links via both YouTube and DriveThruRPG, I finally happened upon these gems.   O0  Targeted advertisements aren't ALWAYS bad, I suppose.

Also wonder how long DTRPG's "on-demand" print services take.   ???