Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Hey Grim - if you mean for ex. getting troops in an apc to dismount after arriving at a destination in one turn - yes, you can do that. Give the move to destination order to the apc. Then also separately select the mounted squad, and give them a move order to where you want them to dismount to. It'll look strange in that the squad will have the move order vector showing from their current location inside the apc. But what happens is, the vehicle move order overrides the squad's order, so the squads move order only gets carried out when the apc stops moving.

There are ways this can go wrong though, for ex if the apc encounters a threat on way to destination and automatically takes its (incredibly annoying and terribly implemented) evasive action - then the troops will dismount automatically, but also still try to reach their ordered destination, thereby potentially putting them in a suicidal situation.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 20, 2018, 08:21:58 AM
Hey Grim - if you mean for ex. getting troops in an apc to dismount after arriving at a destination in one turn - yes, you can do that. Give the move to destination order to the apc. Then also separately select the mounted squad, and give them a move order to where you want them to dismount to. It'll look strange in that the squad will have the move order vector showing from their current location inside the apc. But what happens is, the vehicle move order overrides the squad's order, so the squads move order only gets carried out when the apc stops moving.

There are ways this can go wrong though, for ex if the apc encounters a threat on way to destination and automatically takes its (incredibly annoying and terribly implemented) evasive action - then the troops will dismount automatically, but also still try to reach their ordered destination, thereby potentially putting them in a suicidal situation.

Thank you so much....I'll give that a try.

Grim.Reaper

Con

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 20, 2018, 08:21:58 AM

Best workaround for this is to use the pause function to try and setup your timing so that the APC arrives at destination at the end of the 1 min turn thereby allowing you to set the dismount option as the first action next turn.  Pause is also very useful when you implement smoke screens to allow them to become fully developed before you order your troops in.

Con

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the additional tips.....

This demo has rekindled my desire to play this game, been having a blast trying to relearn things...most I have played in years.  Even though I suck at it, still having fun.  The tutorial is even giving me a hard time:)  Had my mortars called in for a trapped enemy, only to see it go way off course and nearly take out my own troops....sigh.

After all the drama with the company and poor communication skills, certainly will be purchasing......I guess I didn't vote very well with my wallet:)

Ubercat

Good luck keeping it running.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ubercat on October 21, 2018, 06:19:13 PM

And that means?  I have owned every version of Battlefront's games and have never had an issue with installing/playing the games....no issues with DRM (whether I like the scheme or not).

Ubercat

I was going by my own experience. If I dared stop playing the game for a few months (CMBN, CMFI, CMRT) my game would stop working and I'd have  to spend 1-3 days with a helpdesk ticket to get it up and running again. Absolute BS DRM. I'm done. It's too bad that BF already got a lot of my money, especially considering Steve's contempt for his customers. You're lucky to have had a better experience.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 21, 2018, 06:22:11 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on October 21, 2018, 06:19:13 PM

And that means?  I have owned every version of Battlefront's games and have never had an issue with installing/playing the games....no issues with DRM (whether I like the scheme or not).

That is not my experience. I have had patches fail, then screw up the DRM in the install, forcing me to work with the help desk to do a reinstall and get things working again. This happened twice.

I had Gustav Line install fail when the activation code did not work. This screwed up the entire CMFI...again, another wonderful help desk experience. Actually, the tech was very helpful, but the fact that I even had this kind of problem (ie. not with the core product, but the DRM) makes me mad.

I recently changed computers, but the potential "joy" of uninstalling then installing CMFI and expansion, CMBN with two expansions, CMFB, and CMRT...has just tuned me off.

I keep watching the forum in the vain hope that someday I'll hear that Battlefront has put this DRM mess behind them. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ubercat

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 21, 2018, 10:11:27 PM
I keep watching the forum in the vain hope that someday I'll hear that Battlefront has put this DRM mess behind them.

Unfortunately that's not likely. Steve assumes that wargamers are thieves. He won't settle for a simpler license key strategy like Slitherine/Matrix (let alone Steam).

- Thomas Sowell

mikeck

Graviteam Operation Star, Mius and Tunisia are great games and available on Steam. Just sayin'.  If You have hankerin' for WW2 tactical combat
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Not a huge fan of the drm but i know that is not changing ever.  guess i have just been very lucky since i own every title and never had any issue installing....and i have large gaps in playing sometimes and each time things went fine.  although i do recall at times trying to remember the patching process before they moved to single full installers.

guess i'll just continue hoping i stay lucky:)  fully intend to purchase the full game when it comes out regardless of drm since i know what i am getting.

as for graviteam, i own some of those too but in this case i am more interested in the content this provides.

Yskonyn

Thats my thing with Graviteam as well; I am not much interested in the battles they depict.

Combat Mission has such a wide range of interesting content.
I only have had trouble once with its DRM and that was during the 'old way' with the original CMSF. Otherwise I have never had any problems with it, regardless of changing hardware, not playing for a long while or other.

I'll be buying CMSF2 as well. Looking forward to it with the Engine4 features.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Cyrano

I've had CMx2 running on four PCs now and have never once had a DRM problem.  I would rather it were not there for patching purposes, but never a problem.

No, my only grievance these days is the limited number of resolution options available for CMx1.  I really wish I could get CM:BB running for old time's sake.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Zonso

CMSF2 demo - Wow, very familiar, like an old friend, but this does feel like more of a new game versus an upgrade. Love it. It plays and runs better, especially infantry behaviour imo which ver 4 seemed to have borked in certain circumstances.

Grim Reaper - CM has always rewarded micromanagement and that is even more true with CMSF2 where every own casualty counts. Use pauses etc to coordinate your vehicle and troops movements. May take a bit of practice to become familiar at first but soon you will be a master choreographer. :)

Never had any issue with DRM either but some like to beat a dead horse ad nauseam even though the world has turned now - twice.