Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 03, 2019, 01:14:00 PM

Perth (a slightly buffed Leander) -- I got it from the World of Warships Santa thing:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 05, 2019, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 03, 2019, 01:14:00 PM

Perth (a slightly buffed Leander) -- I got it from the World of Warships Santa thing:

Wakeful -- a late WWI RN destroyer:

Gusington

World of Warships has WWI vessels??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on January 09, 2019, 08:50:22 AM
World of Warships has WWI vessels??

Tier I is a mixed bag, but Tiers II-V have plenty of WWI ships, especially in the Battleships.  By Tier III the WWI ships start fading out and ships like the Friant (Tier III French Light Cruiser from around 1930) can wreak havoc.  Modified WWI battleships (eg Warspite, Arizona) can be found beyond Tier V, I think.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

...and this deal is back again on GG.  Good deal for anyone wanting to try WoWS.  Deal ends in ~3 days.

Quote from: steve58 on October 11, 2018, 11:50:29 AM
This deal ran last May.  Made a 2nd acct with the Premium pack just for fun. 

Quote from: steve58 on May 17, 2018, 09:51:14 AM
Gamersgate has some good deals going for new users/accounts.

For the price of that Premium pack I'm kinda playing with the idea of starting a 2nd acct :-\

$3.07   Premium Starter Pack includes:
8,000 Doubloons
6,000,000 Credits
30 days Premium Account

$1.83   Medium Starter Pack includes:
4,000 Doubloons
2,500,000 Credits
30 days Premium Account

$1.21   Light Starter Pack includes:
2,000 Doubloons
2,000 000 Credits
14 days Premium Account

FREE Starter Pack includes:
Ishizuchi, tier IV premium battleship
300 doubloons
3 Days Premium Account
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

MengJiao

Gusington

Are the bulk of the ships from the 1930s or from WWII? I love the interwar stuff that you've been posting.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on January 15, 2019, 06:14:41 PM
Are the bulk of the ships from the 1930s or from WWII? I love the interwar stuff that you've been posting.

That's a good question.  The time period for ships and even their basic reality or even physical possibility is a pretty shaky and hard to pin down in World of Warships.  I'd say most of the ships that are close to being coherent representations of actual ships are earlier than WWII.  The somewhat realistic modelling of earlier ships in the earlier tiers (say II-VII) works because most of the ships are from before WWII and were actually built  and built before WWII even if they fought in WWII and were modified (usually to carry more AA weapons).  Later tiers (say around VIII on) have more and more ships that were either never built or could not have been built or modified in the forms they have in the game.  So most of the more or less real ships are from before WWII.

Gusington

Really interesting. I never would have thought that World of Warships (or Tanks or Planes for that matter) would even attempt portray even a little bit of reality. What little I know of these games gives me very arcadey impression.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2019, 07:43:56 AM
Really interesting. I never would have thought that World of Warships (or Tanks or Planes for that matter) would even attempt portray even a little bit of reality. What little I know of these games gives me very arcadey impression.

It's moderately arcadey.  Even within arcadey there is a continuum, I guess.  For example, nothing about heroes and generals is remotely realistic, but the size and complexity of the battlefields makes it seem vaguely plausible from time to time and at least in the arcadey world you are not under the thumb of some irate gang eager to blame you (yes! you, who just wandered into the battle) for losing for the 5th time tonight so they kick you out and you go play something arcadey.
  World of Warships...(at least if you just play against the AI) rarely features people ranting at you and you don't hear them in your headphones even if they do...And how arcadey is it?  I think that because ships are somewhat more complex than tanks and planes, they have to at least start by modelling some aspects of the ships in the game somewhat realistically -- if only as a baseline -- so the tier II to tier VII ships have plenty of realistic aspects and some things about the battles are vaguely plausible and even visually compelling.  Beyond tier VII, I think the game enters a world of fantasy and wierd attempts at balancing one fantasy against another.

Gusington

Players can play against the AI? Is it fun?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2019, 09:19:31 AM
Players can play against the AI? Is it fun?

It's very arcardy, but then so isn't most of the stuff we play. But it is a heck of a lot of fun. You can play co-op against the AI. But playing full MP is a lot better, more satisfaction, when you get a kill against human driven ships. Also I think the 'rewards' are better as well.