Company of Heroes 1 - The Great War 1918 mod on steam

Started by Destraex, January 11, 2017, 06:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

After playing Battlefield1 and getting really over it's twitch based, no front lines; commando gameplay. I was in a ww1 mood and set out to play an old game I had called "Battle of Empires 1914-1918". It is essentially a paid mod with a lot of paid addons. But I did not enjoy it because it has no AI to start you off without buying addons. So I wanting a real time or WEGO ww1 game I went to an old company of heroes mod that I knew was in development years ago. To my surprise it was only updated in september and the team is getting ready to release the French side in addition to the British and German sides already available.

This is of course not realistic, because it is company of heroes. But it is so far scratching the itch as it has most ww1 functions in built. Gas, Biplane Strafing, Tanks that move like the turtles they are, armoured cars, a squad system that allows a lot of scope to ensure there are a lot of standard infantry with rifles. A piper to encourage the men! Ladders that can be deployed to get the men over large trench obstacles and ww1 maps. The ability to build long lines of trenches; although I have not fully determined how comprehensive this last feature is.

I just though I would make you guys aware. But am open to any better more realistic options. Going to give this a go with a friend tonight.

If you have company of heroes on steam all you do is subscribe to the mod in steam with coh1 already installed and the mod turns up as another game in steam. Easy peasy.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314420

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

I've got CoH on disk somewhere. It's 20.00 on Steam right now. I'll wait for a price drop and then try this out. Thanks Des!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Destraex

It's just like ww1 Jonmni. A real grind. I recommend building a lot of emplacements and sandbags.
I agree $20 is a lot. If you find your old coh disk use the key in steam and you will get it in steam. I believe though that you cannot play the british side unless you also have that addon.... tales of valor I think.
Which is a real bummer as that currently sets the price at $40 just for a mod.

It would be great if somebody actually did a good job with a dedicated ww1 wargame. I think perhaps something like ultimate general civil war or scourge of war have the right credentials

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on January 12, 2017, 03:39:47 AM
Have you tried this WW1 RTS?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/316430/

He mentioned it in his OP.

I enjoy it and think it is well made. I agree, however, with the critique that you have to pay extra for SP content. Unfortunately, the game turned into a cash grab for missions, factions, campaigns, etc. However, if you can get past that, it is an enjoyable and satisfying WWI RTS experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

trek

Agree on the Battle of Empires RTS, very poorly done IMHO. I've played the COH GW Mod now for several years and keep coming back to it over and over. Just uninstalled BF1 and Verdun. As much as I tried to like them both neither one satisfied me at all. I personally think BF1 was overhyped as I mainly bought it for the SP Campaign but found it too COD like for my tastes. The MP is also a bit too frenetic for me as well. Verdun may be good eventually but it has a long way to go and the game feels kinda dead currently.

If you like COH GW I would heartily suggest the Napoleon TW Mod The Great War 1914-1918, if you haven't already tried it. They did a great job with it as far as big-scale historical battles although it will crash on certain engagements. Also the American Civil War Mod for NTW is excellent too. Both are available for DL at TW Center's site in the forums.

Gusington

I could not get into that NTW WWI mod - it was hard to wrap my brain around what I was supposed to do when the game began.

I had some hope in the Battle of Empires game until the cash grabbing started.

So last night I re-bought CoH and then she quickly downloaded this mod...fingers crossed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

TW Mod The Great War 1914-1918 you say? I followed that for a bit years ago.
What TW game is it for now and does it have trenches and realistic looking units yet? Last time I looked the units did not look much different from vanilla.
Link? Is it still being worked on?

Gus I do fear for you if you have never played COH1. It is an RTS not a wargame. The mod is just a nice little mod.

When you load finish downloading coh1 it will appear in your steam library.
Load coh1 at least once just to be safe
Once that is done use the link I provided and press subscribe, tell it you have steam already and let it open to steam.
Steam will then prompt you to download the mod.
Once done you will have a coh1 great war game entry appear below coh1 in your steam library.
Double clock on the coh1 great war in your steam library
Once in start a skirmish game and choose a ww1 map
Choose your side and click or right click on the enemy slot to add bots to play against

Edit: Think I found the great war mod for nappy TW. Downloading.

Destraex

Just tried the great war mod. Did not really grab me. Much more advanced than I thought it would be. But did not feel right. So many of the units just don't work that well.

A lot of it is half finished it seems, I mean mechanic wise total war just does not natively give a modder enough to do a reasonable job without a lot of chop job improv. For instance the tank tracks not moving at all makes them look really silly. Very impressed with what they did get done though. It kind of proves that the TW engine could do ww1 fairly well if done professionally.

Gusington

^Dem screenshots tho...that tank looks bad ass. I salivated over that mod all through it's development and was ultimately vexed and befuddled when it was finally released. Oh well.

Also, I fired up the CoH mod for a second last night just to make sure everything was working correctly and it was.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

I forgot, can you rotate the map in COH? I kept trying, but thinking that it should. Tried middle mouse button, right click drag.. the usual GUI rotate styles.

Gusington

Good question and one that I will probably be asking myself in a few weeks.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on January 12, 2017, 08:16:35 PM
It kind of proves that the TW engine could do ww1 fairly well if done professionally.

The next iteration could well be Victorian Era. Just my speculation.