Main Menu

[Android] Ingress

Started by Huw the Poo, November 11, 2013, 06:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Ingress is an "augmented reality" game which divides the world into two factions fighting to control as much territory as possible.  Portals (designated sites of interest nominated by the community) are scattered throughout the land and must be hacked, upgraded, defended etc. in order to do the claiming.

It sounds a bit silly, and I suppose it is.  However it's a very attractive game and can be easily played when you're out and about already.  It even encourages exercise...I've seen more than one person claiming to have lost weight because they can't get enough of the game.  It also fosters a sense of community; switching my "scanner" to local area (20km radius) lets me listen in on my fellow faction members coordinating the day's activities.  I get a kick out of hearing them discuss hitting landmarks in my own town that I know well.  I'll probably join them occasionally but at the moment I'm happy doing my own thing.  Like I said...if I'm out anyway (like walking to work) it's something to do while I'm walking around.  Fun little timewaster.