Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

World War I ASW.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

Fifth Battle Squadron.  Photo taken from HMS Barham.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

https://www.facebook.com/HistoryBites/videos/288623028678544/?t=31

Reputed to be the only color footage of Pearl Harbor.
Hadnever heard or seen this, so not sure of provenance.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Life and Death of the Hornet.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Hornet.html

Very nice movie of the Hornet, with good coverage of the Doolittle bombers.
Sorry I only found this today.  Only up for a few more days.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Carrier Independence during Typhoon Cobra.  Photo is mislabeled as Hancock.

No wonder three DDs foundered.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

this rare picture, which shows the I. FSG (SMS Seydlitz, Lützow, Derfflinger, Moltke and von der Tann) during the Lowestoft Raid in April 1916 under the command of Rear Admiral Friedrich Boedicker. The battle cruisers were accompanied and supported by several light cruisers from the II. FSG and two complete torpedo - boat flotillas (translates into 16). The Lowestoft - raid was start of a new campaign initiated by the new CIC of HSF, Admiral Scheer.

"With your eyes closed?"

WallysWorld

Quote from: besilarius on January 26, 2019, 12:43:41 PM
https://www.facebook.com/HistoryBites/videos/288623028678544/?t=31

Reputed to be the only color footage of Pearl Harbor.
Hadnever heard or seen this, so not sure of provenance.
That footage is shown in the first episode of the excellent Smithsonian Channel series "The Pacific War in Color":  The Pacific War in Color
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

besilarius

Louis XIV's Soleil Royale.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Twelve pounder firing a blank.

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Softening up the defenders in the bungalow?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Battlefleet and Langley anchored at Culebra, PR.

"With your eyes closed?"

Windigo

Looking at that cute little flat-top/seaplane tender.... pretty wild where that technology/doctrine would go in 15 short years
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

besilarius

Boy, that left a mark.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

HMS Suffolk during the 1940 Norway campaign was bombed in Scapa Flow, and took on 1500 tons of seawater.

"With your eyes closed?"