Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

^ I will check it out, thanks.

Gusington

The Fog2 battles take me about a half hour too, but for me, that is a long time. It does add a considerable amount of time to a campaign.

But...I am still learning wtf is going on. I feel like I don't know about 99% of what is going on. If I keep pressing on, I hope to keep getting better and learn what is happening and play more efficiently.

What I am REALLY hoping for is a Dark Age campaign (5th century - 9th century AD). I know it's coming...I can feel it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mbar

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2019, 05:02:12 PM
actually there is using your fog 2 serial if you buy from slitherine

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92708

Thanks for the info!  :bd: I was wondering if there was a discount on the Slitherine store.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2019, 08:58:35 PM
The Fog2 battles take me about a half hour too, but for me, that is a long time. It does add a considerable amount of time to a campaign.

But...I am still learning wtf is going on. I feel like I don't know about 99% of what is going on. If I keep pressing on, I hope to keep getting better and learn what is happening and play more efficiently.

What I am REALLY hoping for is a Dark Age campaign (5th century - 9th century AD). I know it's coming...I can feel it.

Yeah Gus I'm in agreement with everything you're saying.

For me the length of the battles in FoG2 isn't as much of an issue, but I can see some people really needing to prioritize for time.

I also feel that some of the gameplay elements are going to take a while to get used to and learn. For example, right now I'm having loyalty problems, even though I have plenty of culture buildings and all that. Trying to figure out what's going on with that. For the most part though, I think the gameplay is smooth and understandable.

I also really want a Dark Ages campaign. I'm really hoping they release DLCs that cover 600BC to 1000AD. Unless this game bombs (which it shouldn't) I think we'll see those expansions.

al_infierno

My first impression is that this game is superb.  Very user friendly, not hopelessly convoluted like AGEOD mainline titles (imo).  Seems very deep and well thought-out.

My second impression is OH MY GOD MY FIELDS THEY'RE ALL FULL OF SALT   #:-)

My third impression is that this will be an awesome platform for DLC/mods and all kinds of different campaigns in different time periods.   \m/  Seconding the dark ages hopes!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

mbar

Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 11, 2019, 09:49:08 PM
For me the length of the battles in FoG2 isn't as much of an issue, but I can see some people really needing to prioritize for time.

Can I assume that Empire battles exported to FoG2 can be saved in the middle of the battle in FoG2?

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2019, 09:50:45 PM
My first impression is that this game is superb.  Very user friendly, not hopelessly convoluted like AGEOD mainline titles (imo).  Seems very deep and well thought-out.

My second impression is OH MY GOD MY FIELDS THEY'RE ALL FULL OF SALT   #:-)

My third impression is that this will be an awesome platform for DLC/mods and all kinds of different campaigns in different time periods.   \m/  Seconding the dark ages hopes!

Your fields may be full of salt......Egypt's grow bountious amounts of decadence  :hide:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Speedy

I'm loving the game, the only issue I see is that for anyone that has some experience with FOG 2 the exporting of battles to play in FOG 2 unbalances the campaign pretty severely.
I've had a couple of battles that I would pretty clearly lose due to frontage and troop quality issues in Empires that I exported to FOG 2 and promptly won 70 odd percent to less than 10 percent.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: mbar on July 11, 2019, 10:51:06 PM
Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 11, 2019, 09:49:08 PM

Can I assume that Empire battles exported to FoG2 can be saved in the middle of the battle in FoG2?

I haven't tried it myself but I can't see a reason why that wouldn't be possible.

al_infierno

^ I tried it and it works fine.  Everything about the FOG2 implementation is very smooth.  You can even cheese out and replay the battle to your heart's content / not load your results if you lose and try your luck with the autoresolve. 

I tried it for empirical reasons, of course :D :D
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: Speedy on July 11, 2019, 11:39:49 PM
I'm loving the game, the only issue I see is that for anyone that has some experience with FOG 2 the exporting of battles to play in FOG 2 unbalances the campaign pretty severely.
I've had a couple of battles that I would pretty clearly lose due to frontage and troop quality issues in Empires that I exported to FOG 2 and promptly won 70 odd percent to less than 10 percent.

I agree 100% with this.

The developers make this clear to be fair that the game is balanced for Empires battle resolution.

I won't be playing out any FoG2 battles for this reason.

I have been playing this morning for another couple of hours as Dacia after exploring Egypt yesterday  and what strikes me is the totally different experience of handling the countries but in both cases I was given really tough meaningful choices with regard to running the nation economically, culturally, diplomatically and militarily.

This is such a refreshing change from the "build in this order to win" mechanic that so many strategy games have.

So impressed I joined a public MP game as Dacia starting tomorrow 👍

Tuna

Quote from: Speedy on July 11, 2019, 11:39:49 PM

This is how Total War is.

FlickJax

I need to watch the Tutorials as didnt find it very user friendly tbh

devoncop

Quote from: FlickJax on July 12, 2019, 06:00:27 AM
I need to watch the Tutorials as didnt find it very user friendly tbh

I would recommend the Dastactic you tube series for the Carthage mini challenge.

That plus a quick read of the manual did the job for me.

Speedy

I second reading the manuals I found it did much more to help me understand the game than any tutorial or play through I have seen.

Grognerds guide is also excellent for helping to decide what buildings to build.